Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Sticking with the 28 boys. Having ridden some long climbs in the past I know it's about maintaining a rhythm and sometimes grinding it out. The drop from 28 to 32 is handy in U.K. With short punchy 16% plus, as you guys had at the weekend, but Ventoux isn't like that. It's 10-14% and no sudden ramps so hoping 28 will suffice. In fact on last Alps trip I only used 28 when desperate and Cadence dropped to 60ish. I will be doing a lot of Watopia in the weeks to come but really hoping the RGT Ventoux beta comes out- that should tell me if 28 is low enough.

I'd stick with the 28 too but it's personal preference obviously. For me I find it easier to find a comfy rhythm with smaller jumps between cogs. Ideally I'd have a climbing cassette that had no 11,12,14 and maybe had a 26 or 27 and 30+

It's a shame the big manufacturers don't let you create your own cassette ratios from scratch. I know it's complicated by the way they build the blocks but still it'd be very handy to get rid of some of the smaller cogs for hilly days.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
I'd stick with the 28 too but it's personal preference obviously. For me I find it easier to find a comfy rhythm with smaller jumps between cogs. Ideally I'd have a climbing cassette that had no 11,12,14 and maybe had a 26 or 27 and 30+

It's a shame the big manufacturers don't let you create your own cassette ratios from scratch. I know it's complicated by the way they build the blocks but still it'd be very handy to get rid of some of the smaller cogs for hilly days.
There is a junior cassette by Shimano 14-28 ultegra 11 spd. 14 to 21 then 23, 25 and 28. Pair that with a suitable crankset and spin away. The issue with this is that although they are good and close on a single chainring, when moving to the big or little there needs to be a big swing of cogs on the back to get back to something just above or below what you were in.

Edit just found a 16-27 10 spd ultegra cs6600 as well 16-23 / 25 / 27

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
There is a junior cassette by Shimano 14-28 ultegra 11 spd. 14 to 21 then 23, 25 and 28. Pair that with a suitable crankset and spin away. The issue with this is that although they are good and close on a single chainring, when moving to the big or little there needs to be a big swing of cogs on the back to get back to something just above or below what you were in.

Edit just found a 16-27 10 spd ultegra cs6600 as well 16-23 / 25 / 27

Wow TB I had no idea about the 14-28. That's definitely a good option. I'd still personally prefer 26 or 27 and then something 30+ rather than 14 through to 20. Specifically for rides like the DD. But it's really nice to see a cassette that doesn't have 11,12 or 13. Nice find

bobinski

Legendary Member
Wow TB I had no idea about the 14-28. That's definitely a good option. I'd still personally prefer 26 or 27 and then something 30+ rather than 14 through to 20. Specifically for rides like the DD. But it's really nice to see a cassette that doesn't have 11,12 or 13. Nice find

Don't campag do a 13- 29? Seems ideal for all but the steepest inclines

bobinski

Legendary Member
You will need circa 2 hours for each side of Ventoux Bob, as long as cadence is comfortable.

Andy, my ITB and knee are much improved but I don't think I have sufficient time to achieve the level of fitness and stamina to get near the cingles. I only have 4 weeks.
Funny moment today. I was riding a local climb, Star Lane, and I sensed someone behind me who then buried himself to get past just before the top, barely able to breathe but trying to talk to me. I let him go even though I had a bit in the tank but being careful. Turned out he is doing cingles in 2 weeks and had ridden star lane 16 times last weekend! Anyway, he put my prep into perspective.

Tempted to sign up for these from mid June after I have got Ventoux out the way. Need to work on 1hour plus uphill struggles for next 3 1/2 weeks

I've got my "biggy" coming up in a couple of weeks - the Tourmalet. I decided to try and play safe... 50/34 up front and I changed the rear from 11/28 to 11/32. Whilst I think I would probably got away with continuing with my Ultegra short cage RD I decided to play it safe (again) and put on the GS RD. Really pleased with it tbh, the changing is very sweet. I crawled up a cat 3 climb today peaking out at around 16% on my Garmin and I felt a lot more under control than when I did it back in March with the 11/28 (no meandering).

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Andy, my ITB and knee are much improved but I don't think I have sufficient time to achieve the level of fitness and stamina to get near the cingles. I only have 4 weeks.
Funny moment today. I was riding a local climb, Star Lane, and I sensed someone behind me who then buried himself to get past just before the top, barely able to breathe but trying to talk to me. I let him go even though I had a bit in the tank but being careful. Turned out he is doing cingles in 2 weeks and had ridden star lane 16 times last weekend! Anyway, he put my prep into perspective.

Was he a big fella like me? We always puff and blow up hills^_^

bobinski

Legendary Member
Was he a big fella like me? We always puff and blow up hills^_^

Nah, I think lighter than me.

The mate is was riding with is a triathlete and weighs 64 kilos! I beat him up every climb. But he did run a 1/2 marathon 4 days ago, did a velodrome session last night and swam a km this morning. Then the fecker had the audacity to go for a run after today's ride:angry: He is up for the cingles!

Monte

Über Member
Exactly ... I have a doctors note :tongue: Struggling to walk about at the moment without getting out of breath so could be some time before I get back on the bike for heavy rides.

@Whorty - I've been really ill (nearly 4 weeks) initially diagnosed as a viral infection and told my body needs to fight the virus, ended up in hospital having a chest x-ray today and now on antibiotics.

Hopefully back in zwift land next week, although will be very steady for a few weeks.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
@Whorty - I've been really ill (nearly 4 weeks) initially diagnosed as a viral infection and told my body needs to fight the virus, ended up in hospital having a chest x-ray today and now on antibiotics.

Hopefully back in zwift land next week, although will be very steady for a few weeks.
Wow, not good @Monte . Hope you get well soon. It's really frustrating seeing the bike in the pain cave and not being able to use it. Hope your x-ray comes clear, and the antibiotics clear up the virus. :okay:

Top Bottom