Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Do you notice the race position on the right hand board often bears little resemblance to where you seem to be?
Maybe that causes an artificially high pack speed.

Funnily enough I did notice that while watching the race you put up here the other day. I was going to mention lag too. I’m assuming it’s down to lag? So basically making the position and power figures shown from one moment to the next redundant at times.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Zwift does a pretty decent job, even with hundreds of riders in one race. There is very little lag between riders, my setup has got much better with a decent internet speed.

uclown2002

Guru
Funnily enough I did notice that while watching the race you put up here the other day. I was going to mention lag too. I’m assuming it’s down to lag? So basically making the position and power figures shown from one moment to the next redundant at times.
Your position displayed is client side which is likely different to what others see. Real position is zwift server side.

Milzy

Guru
What are the easiest races on Zwift? Cat D? I’d like to try one tomorrow. Does anybody know what the times are??

LBHIFI

Veteran
There are big flaws with this thinking though. For starters the watts per kilo will vary from one rider to another depending on their weight. For example on flat ground if myself and Andy are putting out the same w/kg he will be going faster than me because he weighs more. So on that basis the law of physics aren’t on your side here I’m afraid!
Secondly this figure can change from one pedal stroke the next, and quite drastically. Yours will be increasing gradually as you push to rejoin the group so it’s not a constant. And A, it’s unlikely the group leaders w/kg constant, and B, it’s unlikely the group leader remains the same for very long at a time before someone else pushes ahead of him.

So... all a bit vague isn’t it? Your statement wasn’t based on anything scientific. Hence why I found it funny and got sarcastic. It is entirely possible that Zwift favours the group ‘unnaturally’. I’m not saying any of the guys who are saying that are wrong. But so far it’s all just anecdotal evidence isn’t it. Bring the science!!
Well, I'm with both you and Worthy on this one. I did a lot of Zwift group rides, and often have to fiddle with a hopelessly music app, which makes me get dropped from a 2.5 w/kg max group. Something like 5-10 secs. It takes a 4 w/kg effort from me for a good while to get back.
Now as you mention, all this watt pr kg is really not a very good measurent on the flats, as heavier riders will put out more watts with the same w/kg. However the riders weight are visible on Zwiftpower and I never saw a bunch of heavy weighters when that happened.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
W/Kg is a little misleading, but a useful guide for me. When I get in a race where I actually get to stay in the pack or group. I can quickly fathom out, what build a rider is compared to me. I can run between 0.5-0.7less than those around me on the flat. This then gives me a tactic to hold these riders on the climbs and use my weight power advantage on the downhill and for the sprint.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
What are the easiest races on Zwift? Cat D? I’d like to try one tomorrow. Does anybody know what the times are??
Don’t know if you have done it yet but you could sign up to zwiftpower.com and join cyclechat team - it also will give you race results and place you in right cat after a couple of races - good luck

Milzy

Guru
Don’t know if you have done it yet but you could sign up to zwiftpower.com and join cyclechat team - it also will give you race results and place you in right cat after a couple of races - good luck
Signed up to Zwift power but it says Please update your Zwift ID on the connection page to complete registration?

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Well, I'm with both you and Worthy on this one. I did a lot of Zwift group rides, and often have to fiddle with a hopelessly music app, which makes me get dropped from a 2.5 w/kg max group. Something like 5-10 secs. It takes a 4 w/kg effort from me for a good while to get back.
Now as you mention, all this watt pr kg is really not a very good measurent on the flats, as heavier riders will put out more watts with the same w/kg. However the riders weight are visible on Zwiftpower and I never saw a bunch of heavy weighters when that happened.

But I suppose the question we ask is: How much power ‘should’ it take to recover in that position? I guess that is a mathematical question ultimately. And it’s very hard to come to a definitive conclusion without the data in front of us. I don’t actually have a position on it. Other than to question why others feel the way they do about it, and can they back it up with data. I do question a little whether people realise how tough it is to recover from being dropped in the real world. There are so many variables after all my old physics teacher would be rubbing his hands together at the permutations. But where Zwift draws the line on this is still a mystery to me, after a day of long debate! ^_^

But now I can happily say, with a glass of wine next to me, it isn’t a question that is going to haunt my dreams tonight! :smile:

Last edited:

bobinski

Legendary Member
FWIW I recall being dropped on to TofC and the effort I made to get back on. Andy helped as I latched onto him and got the benefit of his draft. Zwift feels much the same. No idea if ithat makes it accurate. But it is and should be hard to get way from a group as well as to catch a group that have dropped you.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
FWIW I recall being dropped on to TofC and the effort I made to get back on. Andy helped as I latched onto him and got the benefit of his draft. Zwift feels much the same. No idea if ithat makes it accurate. But it is and should be hard to get way from a group as well as to catch a group that have dropped you.

I remember that Bob, you recovered very well and went on to leave me behind on the hilly bits :smile:

Top Bottom