Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I've not seen it definitively confirmed but have read that this is the case. Empirically it looks like it as well - I have chased a group where I can see the leaders are kicking out the same or less watts than me, but they are still getting away.
I'd agree with this. When in a group, and say the lead is doing 2.8 w/kg and you get dropped off the back (I must stop trying to msg people and concentrate more), then it can take close on 4 w/kg to get back on the group again even though those in the group are only pushing 2.4 or so w/kg. I'd have thought you'd only need 3 - 3.5 w/kg for a short burst to get back on.

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
freakishly tall.

I put it down to you and Berty living so close to the North Pole.

Whorty

Not exactly science in action is it amigo :smile:
But having ridden Zwift alot, and experienced this (unlike your good self who hasn't raced on Zwift much) it comes from a more fact base than just guess work. It's also in line with how others experience it so I'm not totally alone in my thoughts. So no, not scientific, but is based on experience.

<Tommy>

But having ridden Zwift alot, and experienced this (unlike your good self who hasn't raced on Zwift much) it comes from a more fact base than just guess work. It's also in line with how others experience it so I'm not totally alone in my thoughts. So no, not scientific, but is based on experience.

That whole paragraph you wrote was vague guess work... where are the facts you speak of because I didn’t see them? that’s why I was being sarcastic. Why not show me through all your experience some facts based on figures to support what you’re saying?

How do you know how many watts you should need to get back on to a group? What is that figure and how did you come to it? How do you know that is different to the real world?

How far ahead was the group?

It’s all so vague it made me laugh is all.

I haven’t ridden on Zwift much at all. But I have done plenty of group riding. So I know how hard it can be to re join a group. How do you know whether it is a case of it being hard to join a group, or Zwift favouring the group un naturally?

I’m questioning these things because I’m interested where the line is drawn, not because I’m looking for an argument for the sake of it.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

60 odd miles away from you !! Anyone would think I am wandering around in the same clobber as sir Edmund Hillary

I don’t make the rules mate ^_^

berty bassett

Legendary Member
That whole paragraph you wrote was vague guess work... where are the facts you speak of because I didn’t see them? that’s why I was being sarcastic. Why not show me through all your experience some facts based on figures to support what you’re saying?

How do you know how many watts you should need to get back on to a group? What is that figure and how did you come to it? How do you know that is different to the real world?

I haven’t ridden on Zwift much at all. But I have done plenty of group riding. So I know how hard it can be to re join a group. How do you know whether it is a case of it being hard to join a group, or Zwift favouring the group un naturally?

I’m questioning these things because I’m interested where the line is drawn, not because I’m looking for an argument for the sake of it.
Been a lovely day hasn’t it !

Whorty

I'm talking about just dropping off the group, so only a few metres behind. Not talking 100 metres. So I'm saying to get back on a group where the lead rider is pushing say 2.8 w/kg, and I've only just dropped off and only a few metres behind, I wouldn't expect to have to push much more than the lead to get back on.

Is this the same as real life .... no idea, i only really ride on Zwift. But as the lead rider is presumably getting little to no draft, the law of physics would suggest that if I am pushing more than him (her) then I should be going faster than him (her).

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Yea, I've got two DVTs in my left leg in addition to the one that migrated into my lungs yesterday. So I'll be on thinners again, but I expect to be cleared to gently ride Monday. But racing is off the table for a while again.

I'd had a strong cramp in my hamstring in Thu afternoon, but I never would have imagined it was a DVT making its way up to wreck havoc. It felt just like any other muscle cramp. By the evening I had that familiar pain under my collarbone and general discomfort. By the time I woke up Friday morning I knew I was heading straight to the hospital.
Good luck Jeff

<Tommy>

the law of physics would suggest that if I am pushing more than him (her) then I should be going faster than him (her).

There are big flaws with this thinking though. For starters the watts per kilo will vary from one rider to another depending on their weight. For example on flat ground if myself and Andy are putting out the same w/kg he will be going faster than me because he weighs more. So on that basis the law of physics aren’t on your side here I’m afraid!
Secondly this figure can change from one pedal stroke the next, and quite drastically. Yours will be increasing gradually as you push to rejoin the group so it’s not a constant. And A, it’s unlikely the group leaders w/kg constant, and B, it’s unlikely the group leader remains the same for very long at a time before someone else pushes ahead of him.

So... all a bit vague isn’t it? Your statement wasn’t based on anything scientific. Hence why I found it funny and got sarcastic. It is entirely possible that Zwift favours the group ‘unnaturally’. I’m not saying any of the guys who are saying that are wrong. But so far it’s all just anecdotal evidence isn’t it. Bring the science!!

Top Bottom