Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I was trying! In hindsight was a mistake to let him get that much of a gap - plus I thought I could use you to bridge to him but you jumped across with a big sprint so I couldn't hold your wheel
Once I got to him near the top, I immediately eased off and just surfed the wheel until the final sprint - which he didn't even try to contest. I could have dropped him completely, but figured he will try to keep up and then there's no way you'll catch up. It was going well - he wasn't really pulling - until you were about 2-3 seconds behind.

He played it cleverly since you were his only real opponent. I was already 30+ seconds up on my opponent and Peter won his race before it started. If we'd have all responded quickly he wouldn't have got away, but that was the genius of his timing. Having already done some efforts I was ready to recover a bit :laugh:
I didn't react because there was no need. Firstly, I never let it go beyond what I think I can close. Secondly, it's technically not my competition - as you pointed out. But that's why I did the big sprint at the start - was just checking to see if Paul and Josiah want to play.

But I did find it hard today, genuinely.

alex_cycles

Veteran
Once I got to him near the top, I immediately eased off and just surfed the wheel until the final sprint - which he didn't even try to contest. I could have dropped him completely, but figured he will try to keep up and then there's no way you'll catch up. It was going well - he wasn't really pulling - until you were about 2-3 seconds behind.

I didn't react because there was no need. Firstly, I never let it go beyond what I think I can close. Secondly, it's technically not my competition - as you pointed out. But that's why I did the big sprint at the start - was just checking to see if Paul and Josiah want to play.

But I did find it hard today, genuinely.

Yeah it was fun. Paul dropped me on the second climb, I ran out of juice. I've been playing the "keep up with the stronger riders" game a lot in the Chasing Tour classics the last couple of weeks as that's mass start and the way to win is to hang on as long as you can and drop your opponents. It's great for power PRs. I've been smashing them regularly.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
All or nothing tactic. Eventually you will get better and more accustomed to the surge recover pain.

You seem to have an excellent 2min power, way above your let's say aerobic power.

alex_cycles

Veteran
All or nothing tactic. Eventually you will get better and more accustomed to the surge recover pain.

You seem to have an excellent 2min power, way above your let's say aerobic power.

Yes I've always had an anaerobic bias in all my sports. Short surges of "shoot or bust" effort. Stamina and endurance were always the issue.
The events I did well at in athletics compared to my peer-group were anything under 400m, triple-jump and long jump. Tennis was my best sport, which has elements of both, If a match dragged on a long time I was less likely to win it.

The IRL strava segments I do well on are all around the 1-minute mark. But having said all that, I have managed to drag my longer effort power up a little bit. I did a 3.65 for 20 minutes the other day. But it wasn't a steady effort. It included smashing up Zwift KoM trying to hold onto the fast group. :laugh: As you can see, there was no decent recovery there until I got dropped 3/4 of the way up Titans Grove.
Screen Shot 2024-03-29 at 21.07.19.png

I think this must be why I've always enjoyed short races because it allows me to use the anaerobic power to better effect and I can recover afterwards :laugh: But the whole reason I've been doing more zone 2 and these longer Chasing Tour races is to try and grow the endurance. It seems to be working. Power PRs are creeping up slowly across the board.

Norry1

Legendary Member
Yes I've always had an anaerobic bias in all my sports. Short surges of "shoot or bust" effort. Stamina and endurance were always the issue.
The events I did well at in athletics compared to my peer-group were anything under 400m, triple-jump and long jump. Tennis was my best sport, which has elements of both, If a match dragged on a long time I was less likely to win it.

The IRL strava segments I do well on are all around the 1-minute mark. But having said all that, I have managed to drag my longer effort power up a little bit. I did a 3.65 for 20 minutes the other day. But it wasn't a steady effort. It included smashing up Zwift KoM trying to hold onto the fast group. :laugh: As you can see, there was no decent recovery there until I got dropped 3/4 of the way up Titans Grove.
View attachment 725850

I think this must be why I've always enjoyed short races because it allows me to use the anaerobic power to better effect and I can recover afterwards :laugh: But the whole reason I've been doing more zone 2 and these longer Chasing Tour races is to try and grow the endurance. It seems to be working. Power PRs are creeping up slowly across the board.

You should try crit racing (IRL) - your physiology is ideal for it.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My mate came off his MTB bike about 8 weeks ago

Broke his radius just at the joint.

Has a large titanium plate and screws in his arm now, just like this :ohmy:
1000011135.jpg

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Yep. Gravity wins eventually. I've had a few spills but I've been lucky.
It's the potential time "off the bike" that bothers me the most though.

This is true. I came off my bike September last on the viking MTB event. I didn't break anything, but the tendon damage is still in recovery, about 95% there after what 6 months. Don't bounce as well as I used to

alex_cycles

Veteran
Chasing Vlaanderen this morning. That was one tough bstrd of a race. Cobbled Climbs x5.
I managed to hold on with the front group up Libby and 23rd, but fell off about 1/3 of the way up Governor Street. Then hung with the next group pretty much for the rest of the race. I smashed my PR on Libby lap 1 and got overall 5th FTS for Libby on lap 1 (Joakim Lisson was 4th) both with 1:20 🔥But that allowed me to gap all the Amethyst/Platinums (bar the one who DNFed shortly after end of lap 1).
Screen Shot 2024-03-31 at 14.05.34.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/live/1TuQ3dcKiJs?si=W2y6bK_JJ6_hTnv8&t=333

Last edited:
Top Bottom