Zwift minimal cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
What do i need when it comes to zwift?

Id like to get some more rides in during the week rather than just once on the weekend and limited time it could be a good idea and looks fun but i am broke and dont want to spend alot.

I have an elite volare bike trainer in the loft somewhere can that be used or would i need to buy something else?
Anything else i would need? I find it a bit confusing

Could i just buy this and be all set?
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/rollers/elite-novo-smart-turbo-trainer-461874.html

Last edited:
What do i need when it comes to zwift?

Id like to get some more rides in during the week rather than just once on the weekend and limited time it could be a good idea and looks fun but i am broke and dont want to spend alot.

I have an elite volare bike trainer in the loft somewhere can that be used or would i need to buy something else?
Anything else i would need? I find it a bit confusing

Could i just buy this and be all set?
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/rollers/elite-novo-smart-turbo-trainer-461874.html
I don't know anything about the elite novo smart so can't recommend it, however DCRainmaker's website is pretty much the best resource on the web for anything turbo trainer related.

As for Zwift, you can use Zwift without a smart trainer.

If you have a power meter you're sorted and will get accurate numbers, however, if not, this will not preclude you from using Zwift and its virtual power calculations.

For this you WILL need as a minimum a speed sensor and an ant+ or bluetooth dongle (dependent upon which the sensor uses).
Ideally also a cadence and HR sensor. Your power numbers won't be particularly accurate when compared to other riders, but they will be consistent with your own rides and you still get the social/fun aspect of riding a turbo.

If your non-smart trainer is supported by Zwift it will tell you which resistance setting to use, if not, you'll need to do some guesstimation and pick the trainer with the closest curve to the one you own.

I used this table because my turbo isn't supported by zwift but I found one by the same manufacturer with a very similar power curve:
http://www.powercurvesensor.com/cycling-trainer-power-curves/

Cheers,
Ed

tom73

Guru
You can use what you have. Have you already got speed , heart rate and cadence sensors already ?
If so and they will link up to Zwift app. Then you good to go

bridgy

Legendary Member
Nope all ive got is a basic trainer a bike and a garmin 520!
Bottom line is, you need a speed sensor or power meter if you're using a classic (non smart) trainer - obviously a speed sensor is the much cheaper option but it won't be as accurate. Alternatively, you need a smart trainer such as the one you linked to. This article might be useful https://zwiftinsider.com/getting-started-classic-trainer/

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ok thanks, think I'll buy a smart trainer. Just seems easier, less hassle setting things up before a ride as i dont have alot of time before work as is

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Does anyone know if the one I linked from Halfords automatically adjust the resistance?

Are there any other recommendations for a smart trainer under 200?

vickster

Legendary Member
You have to pay for Zwift too, so factor that into your costs

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah I know no but if I'm right in thinking there's no contract you can only run it for the months you're going to use it?

simon.r

Person
Does anyone know if the one I linked from Halfords automatically adjust the resistance?

Are there any other recommendations for a smart trainer under 200?

I have that trainer.

I’ve no experience of any other smart trainers, so can’t compare, but it does everything I expected it to do, including adjusting the resistance. I’ve done about 1000 miles on it over the last year (much prefer riding outside when possible) without any problems. I had difficulties connecting it to an old laptop using Bluetooth so bought an ANT dongle (cost about £15) and that was easy to set up.

FWIW I think joining a group ride on Zwift is much nicer than riding alone. Certainly worth trying.

Top Bottom