Zwift minimal cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Just done it, its on my strava.

It was quite hard to keep 185 and mid 130s but i think it was there or there abouts done about 8mins mid 140s but couldn't keep that up.
Once i settled into it it became easier, i find after 45mins on the trainer i get a really sore back side which always forces me to stop too😂😂

CXRAndy

Guru
Just done it, its on my strava.

It was quite hard to keep 185 and mid 130s but i think it was there or there abouts done about 8mins mid 140s but couldn't keep that up.
Once i settled into it it became easier, i find after 45mins on the trainer i get a really sore back side which always forces me to stop too😂😂
Ill look:okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
From 6 mile marker to 16 miles your heart rate was pretty flat over the different levels of effort. How did you find the effort at heart rate 135 bpm?
Also how difficult was it to hold mid 140s HR

mark efforts out of 10. no.10 being really tough.

I noted your cadence was quite variable even though you were pedalling around 85 rpm.

Were you struggling to hold a steady cadence or is it a sensor issue, what type of cadence sensor do you use?

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
The cadence i noticed was up and down even though it felt roughly the same throughout once i found rhythm other than shifting my butt around to get comfy, the cadence is done through the smart trainer which is a bkool pro 2.

Keeping mid 130s initially was tough but once i settled in id say about 6 out of 10.
Not heart beating out of my chest but legs burning!

In the 140s the same really, its the legs burning that forces me to have to stop id say only slightly harder, again its not heart beating out of my chest its just trying to maintain it for time thats the issue. 7 out of 10.

CXRAndy

Guru
the cadence is done through the smart trainer which is a bkool pro 2.
That explains it, ideally a wheel magnet and sensor is the best for reliable numbers.

'Wahoo Blue SC' is a good device

If you don't have any medical conditions then its just your legs complaining at this new way of riding.

It took me a whole winter to train to improve my cadence from around 70 rpm to around 95rpm.

It doesn't happen overnight:ohmy: :okay:

Shorter rides for your backside to adjust to riding on a turbo.
What make of saddle do you use?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Its just the stock saddle on a marin argenta elite
Might look into a new one.

No medical conditions

I'll keep practicing the high cadence!

Yes i was thinking the winter would be the best time to get some hrs in on the turbo and get more practice in!

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Brilliant thanks alot!

I will look into a cadence sensor, and definitely a new saddle i think.

I'll also try and make more effort to up the cadence on my turbo rides!

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
20200412_133326.jpg

Thatsmy curret saddle, where the nose comes up slightly is where it starts to hurt so I'll look at those ones you've mentioned ideally i want a flat one

Ajax Bay

Guru
given the Corona virus being around its recommended that gentle cardio workouts and not high intensity (HIT) sessions to protect against cardiomyopathy
Would you like to expand on that with a source, Andy? Why would HIT make the rider likely to develop cardiomyopathy and/or NOT doing HIT sessions protect against it?
Found this, but likely there is contrary opinion. But this is with people who've already have hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03335332
"Although current clinical guidelines stipulate that patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy should not partake in high intensity exercise (HIE) or competitive sport due to safety concerns, there is no clear evidence to support this notion. In fact, two exercise training interventions in this population indicates that regular moderate to vigorous intensity exercise is efficacious for improving exercise capacity and cardiorespiratory fitness, and does not increase arrhythmia burden or adverse events. Moreover, moderate intensity exercise and HIE training significantly increases cardiorespiratory fitness in patients with cardiac disease. "

CXRAndy

Guru
I understand that if you pickup a viral infection, unknowingly train at very high levels, heart muscle damage can happen, sometimes permanent. Given this Corona is new, it just adds further caution to heavy training and exposure to this virus.

If you're feeling well and aren't exposed to people who are high risk, HIT training is probably fine. If slightly below par, best rest up

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive heard that immune is lowered after intense exercise, dont know for how long or even if its true
Its true, research indicates the immune system is lowered for a period after high intensity workouts. That's why you generally do them when well rested and feeling well. Too many and you can expose yourself more to catching a cold/ excess fatigue or burnout or worse.

General rule guidance is 80% low intensity and 20% for HIT.

Ajax Bay

Guru
research indicates the immune system is lowered for a period after high intensity workout
Andy - I agree that one should do HIT when 'feeling well'. "Rested". Depends what you mean. Don't do two days in a row. How many is too many? 1 in 5 seems conservative. 2 in 5 perhaps. Depends what training effect you're seeking But, as I asked before, could you share a link to the 'research'. I have looked (spurred on by your assertion) and, for example this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3920540/
suggests that HIT has much less effect on the whole range of proteins which modulate the immune system than "prolonged, continuous aerobic exercise " (90 mins + aerobic).
These guys are trying to sell stuff: https://www.myxiser.com/hiit-training-boosts-your-immune-system/
I thought this was good: https://foreverfitscience.com/exercise-science/physical-activity-and-the-immune-system/
"If you are performing extremely high intensity exercise for durations of longer than 60 minutes, you see a different story. [Comment: You can't do HIT that long - impossible to keep the intensity high enough (varies between athletes obv)]
"The high stress environment created by extreme exercise conditions actually downregulates these same immune cells that moderate intensity exercise activates [and] you also see a huge spike in the secretion of stress hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine – both of which increase inflammation and further downregulate immune system function.
"[But] as you give your immune system time to bounce back after this type of session, it comes back stronger than ever – which may improve your resilience to disease and illness in the long run.
"[But] a problem only arises when the immune system is not given time to recover appropriately after intense exercise.
after an extremely intense training session you should give your body enough time to adapt completely. This allows your immune cells to return to normal levels, while your body becomes better able to handle stress.
"Over time this would likely increase the function of your immune system further because it is forced to adapt to the high stress environment."

Top Bottom