Zwift minimal cost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gekko21

Regular
I signed up for the FTP Builder but cancelled it because I'm having too much fun joining group rides and just exploring routes. 6 weeks of 4-5 workouts seemed a big commitment and I expect I'll build on my (currently poor) FTP by just riding as much as possible. I've now done about 5 group rides and this morning, I picked off the Volcano Climb route and it wasn't as bad as I expected so I think I'm improving already.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
I have a tacx neo, and I use the Tacx app on my phone to control the Resistance of the Neo via their workouts, I use Zwift connected to the neo Via ANT+ for group rides and to explore the courses, So I tick all three of my needs ... Even if I only managed out how to do this yesterday :biggrin:

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Yeah the FTP im doing it 4/5 days a week and so far this week ive done 2 in the evenings but its hard and ive hardly spent time with the kids by the time i get home and set it up then ride they are going to bed so i think ill call it quits before long and just ride some routes

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
It came up on another thread and ive been wondering what ERG does?
Can anyone explain it?
From what i understand it just controls tje resistance on the trainer going up or down hills?
If so why do people suggest to turn it off?
Wouldn't it just be no resistance like riding flat?

CXRAndy

Guru
It came up on another thread and ive been wondering what ERG does?
Can anyone explain it?
From what i understand it just controls tje resistance on the trainer going up or down hills?
If so why do people suggest to turn it off?
Wouldn't it just be no resistance like riding flat?
Erg is a mode where the software sets the turbo a resistance and clamped power.

Eg So you can pedal a 80rpm develop 200W or pedal at 110rpm and still make 200W. The only difference is resistance.

Power = force X rotational speed

For training it allows you to train in specific ways high cadence or low grinding cadence

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Ok thanks so it's best to keep it switched on for workout type rides but for regular riding of routes turn it off?

CXRAndy

Guru
Ok thanks so it's best to keep it switched on for workout type rides but for regular riding of routes turn it off?
Yes
Zwift I understand automatically switches ERG mode on of off depending whether in workout mode. TrainerRoad is purely ERG. Wahoo app can do ERG too.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
The other thing you can do, is to stop your chosen Sim (Zwift, BRVR, RGT, Rouvy, BKool) from controlling the resistance of the trainer Via say ANT+, and use another app to control the resistance via Bluetooth ... so you can do a purely ERG based workout while riding in your chosen app. I do this using the Tacx App on my phone for long endurance riding (Like the Haute Route on Zwift), to stop me going off too hard, and blowing up before the finish.

Funnily enough I appear to have upset a few riders on the Haute Route stage three as they called out my use of Erg mode as "Cheating"!! Apart from telling them to "Foxtrot Oscar!" I pointed out that reducing trainer difficulty to 10% or less could actually be seen as "Cheating" as well, and the Haute Route series was not a race. I also lost 400 Places from the start to the top of the radio tower (1054 to 1500's) so it was hardly a beneficial "Cheat" to me!

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
I just done the 2x20 ftp workout....ouch!

Avg cadence was only low 50s on the 20min sections
HR was upper 130s

I didnt think i could finish the second 20min but grinded away and done it

Felt like i was climbing 2 sodding big hills that were never ending!

Defo a workout I'll be using more

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Avg cadence was only low 50s on the 20min sections
HR was upper 130s

Cycling is predominantly an aerobic activity. As you get fitter your cadence will increase. Ideally you will settle around 85-100rpm for most of the time. That allows you to ride multiple hours without blowing your legs

CXRAndy

Guru
Yeah i thought the cadence was low, was just grinding away slowly!
Legs are definitely fried now haha

Reduce the power level till you can attain 85-100rpm at zone 2 HR.

Train at this level, increasing the time 30mins to an hour, then 1.5 hours and so on. Try to pedal non stop if you can manage it, or with very little downtime

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
Well this was the 2x20 FTP workout where it wants you to cycle at your max FTP for the 20mins probably why it was harder

On my weekend rides i will definitely be aiming for long zone 2 HR rides

CXRAndy

Guru
Well this was the 2x20 FTP workout where it wants you to cycle at your max FTP for the 20mins probably why it was harder

On my weekend rides i will definitely be aiming for long zone 2 HR rides

Long reply:okay:

Ideally you want to be able to do the 20*2 with a decent cadence. I know what you mean about running near maximum effort, you tend to drop the cadence to just cope with the effort.

However if you train to use a high cadence. It eventually allows you to make your power with rotational speed, not extra force.

Remember the equation Power=force*rotational speed.

When you get your aerobic engine tuned to peak form, it allows you maintain a high cadence, thus reducing leg force and cycle for many hours like that.

The learning stage is teaching your muscles and nervous system to fire rapidly by training at a high cadence.

The benefit of a turbo is you can see easily the relationship between cadence, force and HR. especially when using ERG mode.

Example set up turbo in Erg at a power which is comfortable, cycle at a low-ish cadence say, 60 rpm. Feel how much leg effort you require to make said power. Now try 95 rpm, much less force pressing the pedals.

What you will notice is that your HR is higher with high cadence, but you're developing the same power.

That's where all the training comes in to adapt your body to the rigours of high aerobic exercise

Personally my best performances in power and sustainable effort have been after I spent a few months training my aerobic engine with high cadence, increasing the workouts upto 3 hours non stop mostly Z2

My power in races(Zwift) was higher for longer at around 90-95 rpm

I hope that helps:crazy:

Last edited:
Top Bottom