Zwift, Tour of Watopia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
@CXRAndy wouldn't it be less messy to seal the tyre first then deflate, remove valve core and insert sealant, insert valve core and inflate?

Yes thats the other method, I use the former only because i've got a method where i dont spill the sealant. The method you suggest works just as well, only it takes a little while to put sealant into tyre. DONT SCRIMP ON THE AMOUNT OF SEALANT 75MIL/TYRE

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
its good to know you persevered and bored them rigid with cycle talk
did trump come up as well ?:tongue:

:laugh:

I know better than that Berty! Not that I’m Not capable of boring people rigid. But I try not to dwell on bike specifics too much. It is quite hard to explain why I have more than one set of wheels so I don’t bother trying.

Trump on the other hand...

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Lee. I have been using Tubeless for several years. Any clincher wheel can take tubeless.

The advantages tubeless have for touring is that they very rarely deflate quickly, so can get you home. also very important on rapid descents tyre doesn't go pop.

Requirements
Rim tape- Stan's tape(measure inside rim space for width)
tubeless tyres-Schwalbe Pro Ones 25mm
sealant- Stan's sealant
tubeless valve. Various makes

Remove old tyres, rim tape, clean wheel inside with alcohol/brake cleaner. Fit Stan's tape smoothly while giving a good stretch whilst fitting, fit two layers of tape. Ensure it has fitted well. Use sharp tool/knife to make a small hole for valve . Fit tyre almost completely but leave small section so you can pour 75mil of Sealant before fitting last section of bead . Finally inflation, best done with air compressor . There are some devices which store air from pump to give burst of air to inflate . It is very difficult to inflate without a burst of air to seat tyre on rim(just like car tyres)

You don't need to run super high pressure once fitted 70-90psi ideal Ride bike.

The other less complicated option, just put sealant in your inner tubes or buy tubes with Sealant. This will be nearly as good for small punctures

This happened to me today, my tubular tyre got a 1cm cut, which was partially sealed. I tried to re inflate but it would not hold more than 50psi. I rode slowly to my relative more than 10 miles on this tyre

Andy I have a little tip. If you don’t want to carry a pre glued and stretched tub on rides with you (I don’t either). Take some patches, preferably non adhesive ones, and some superglue. You can patch the tub from the outside.

This is the one downside of tubs and tubeless. If you get a bad gash in the tyre it’s a bit of a bore. It’s not happened to me yet but... if it happened on a long ride though it could be game over unless you carry a spare.

Breedon

Legendary Member
I just had a little chuckle to myself thinking... This little four day trip of ours to the pyreneese is turning out to have some hidden costs! ^_^

I had a meal last night with the missus and some friends. None of them have much interest in cycling which is fair enough. And they couldn’t get their heads round why I have more than one set of wheels.

Are we all completely mental?!
I need new shoes and a helmet new bibs new wheels and other hidden little extras ^_^.
So no we're not mental:wacko:

bobinski

Legendary Member
:laugh:

I know better than that Berty! Not that I’m Not capable of boring people rigid. But I try not to dwell on bike specifics too much. It is quite hard to explain why I have more than one set of wheels so I don’t bother trying.

Trump on the other hand...

Did you tell them how much the spendy wheels cost?

bobinski

Legendary Member
I echo Andy’s recommendation on not scrimping on sealant. The main reason is you often won’t know when you do puncture because the sealant does its job but then you won’t know to top it up. So best to start with a lyle more in the first place. I once had 4/5 punctures on one ride. Sealant worked but there was none left afterwards.
I also carry a small tube of the more rubbery superglue to fix large holes or gashes. I used it once last summer post ride purely as a precaution on a hole that the sealant sealed.

<Tommy>

Did you tell them how much the spendy wheels cost?

^_^

Well this may sound odd... But if you asked my other half how many bikes I own I’m not sure she’d even know the answer. She’s just got very little interest. Considering I’ve had the Colnago hung on a wall at the top of the house for around a month. Yesterday she said to me: “oh is that your new one? I think it’s a bit showy. I prefer the black bike.” I have 3 black bikes... I just don’t think she even registers the difference in them. Or even pays them any attention at all maybe. I have 5 sets of wheels. She’s never once asked why I have more wheels than bikes. Or how much they cost. But then if she comes through the door wearing a new outfit or whatever it wouldn’t occur to me to ask how much that was either. Sometimes when she says she’s going to an art gallery I get a little nervous... but generally I don’t really like talking about money anyway :angel:.

kipster

Guru
I'm feeling a little bit tight, I have three bikes (CX, winter, summer) and four sets of wheels (CX, winter, winter spares, summer). The winter wheels have pretty much had it so I'm like to bin them later this year. The new winter wheels are heavier but cost £113 of eBay so I don't care if they get trashed. The zondas cost £280 and only lasted two winters, this has been in all weathers so they've handled the conditions well. I expect to get several years out of the summer wheels (shamal ultras).

I'm my defense I do finance my son's bike and my wife's two bikes as well as my three bikes.

My wife does allow me to spend on the bikes but I'm far from extravagant with my purchases. I am looking at a set of the cheaper hunts for the winter as well.

<Tommy>

Yeah I think it’s all reletive Kip. The reason our partners give us a bit of free reign is because they trust us to take care of the important stuff first. My missus knows I would never spend money I don’t have, so she has no reason to worry.
Contrary to appearances here maybe, I’m generally very careful with money, and look after what I buy. I always try and fix before replacing too. When I go to work tomorrow I’ll be using some of the tools my grandad bought me when I started my aprentiship 20 years ago which is pretty mad really.

bobinski

Legendary Member
^_^

Well this may sound odd... But if you asked my other half how many bikes I own I’m not sure she’d even know the answer. She’s just got very little interest. Considering I’ve had the Colnago hung on a wall at the top of the house for around a month. Yesterday she said to me: “oh is that your new one? I think it’s a bit showy. I prefer the black bike.” I have 3 black bikes... I just don’t think she even registers the difference in them. Or even pays them any attention at all maybe. I have 5 sets of wheels. She’s never once asked why I have more wheels than bikes. Or how much they cost. But then if she comes through the door wearing a new outfit or whatever it wouldn’t occur to me to ask how much that was either. Sometimes when she says she’s going to an art gallery I get a little nervous... but generally I don’t really like talking about money anyway :angel:.

I like the idea that your wife doesnt "see" the bikes and bits you buy but wanders off to an art gallery or other shopping instead^_^

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
The new winter wheels are heavier but cost £113 of eBay so I don't care if they get trashed. <Snip> I am looking at a set of the cheaper hunts for the winter as well.
And there was me thinking you had linked to the wheels on eBay :sad:

I'm looking at some Hunts as well, but as a general replacement/upgrade for the Giant PR2's that came with the bike 2 1/2 years ago, nothing expensive though

bobinski

Legendary Member
I'm feeling a little bit tight, I have three bikes (CX, winter, summer) and four sets of wheels (CX, winter, winter spares, summer). The winter wheels have pretty much had it so I'm like to bin them later this year. The new winter wheels are heavier but cost £113 of eBay so I don't care if they get trashed. The zondas cost £280 and only lasted two winters, this has been in all weathers so they've handled the conditions well. I expect to get several years out of the summer wheels (shamal ultras).

I'm my defense I do finance my son's bike and my wife's two bikes as well as my three bikes.

My wife does allow me to spend on the bikes but I'm far from extravagant with my purchases. I am looking at a set of the cheaper hunts for the winter as well.

I too finance all the families bikes including the £500 bike i got for my 12y old in October that he has almost grown out of in 6 months:eek: 6 inches in 6 months:angry:

Top Bottom