Zwift, Tour of Watopia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Whorty

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
I'm shooting for the same ride (9am for me). I'll keep an eye out for you...

It'll be the longest ride I've done on the trainer if I complete.
Looks like it could be a 2hr 50 mins ride for me, given the times posted today on the UK 4pm ride. I'll be going for 2.4 w/k I think, so a nice steady pace to ensure I finish the ride.

Some peeps are taking 4 hours :eek:

Breedon

Legendary Member
Looks like it could be a 2hr 50 mins ride for me, given the times posted today on the UK 4pm ride. I'll be going for 2.4 w/k I think, so a nice steady pace to ensure I finish the ride.

Some peeps are taking 4 hours :eek:
i've done it in 2h 35+ minutes and i was spent afterwards it's grulling

OP
OP
Whorty

Whorty

i've done it in 2h 35+ minutes and i was spent afterwards it's grulling
Maybe my 2hr 50 is optimistic then :surrender: Did you find because there are so few riders that you ended up being on your own for most of the ride? I think having company will make the ride 'seem' shorter, but doing all that on your own can be a lonely affair:sad:

CXRAndy

Guru
Maybe my 2hr 50 is optimistic then :surrender: Did you find because there are so few riders that you ended up being on your own for most of the ride? I think having company will make the ride 'seem' shorter, but doing all that on your own can be a lonely affair:sad:

At least three of us did it last year, 'Dolomites Grand Fondo. I did it in 2.40 ish. I took it quite steadily and found the climbs not too bad. I remember losing my internet with at least 15 miles to go, all on my own to the end. I've been busy today making garden equipment for the wife, a bit sunburnt. If I feel strong I will try a bit harder to hold my tempo/sweetspot wattage for entire ride

bobinski

Legendary Member
In the Dolomites Lee was 2-08 and I was 2-19 at 220w so 3.2w/k. I recall going a bit too hard on the climb but eased on the long descent to recover. There was still a lot of climbing to come.
Avoid riding alone. It’s hard enough in a group. If a group is too strong ease and wait for the next one. It’s not a race. Fluids, food, bananas whatever you prefer.

bobinski

Legendary Member
2-25 for me today. So 8 min slower. Spent by time of second kom and rode alone all the way trying to hold onto 68th place.
Glad I started at 8am- made all the difference in the first half. HR much lower.
I recommend 2 large bottles. I ran out and resorted to gels. Yuck. Good luck anyone who has a go today especially in south east with the heat.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
2-25 for me today. So 8 min slower. Spent by time of second kom and rode alone all the way trying to hold onto 68th place.
Glad I started at 8am- made all the difference in the first half. HR much lower.
I recommend 2 large bottles. I ran out and resorted to gels. Yuck. Good luck anyone who has a go today especially in south east with the heat.
sunny bongo !

bobinski

Legendary Member
I was hoping to go for a real life ride with Tommy this morning but had to stay at home to look after kids. They slept in so it was very much a last minute decision to ride without a warm up so took it nice and easy. Solid KOM. Then seated tower climb. Joined with a great group of 7, full of banter, and we rode the flat but some upped the pace on the reverse KOM and I couldn’t stay with 4-5w and left behind. Half of them blew up and I slowly overhauled them but pushed a little too hard doing so and just couldn’t push on the down. Bit of banter with a guy who passed me and challenged me not to fall below 70th and it worked otherwise I would have rolled in slower. Really really feel it in the quads. Couldn’t get out of the seat much. Struggling to walk up and down stairs:laugh: So lying on sofa watching the marathon and soon LBL

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
that wasn't very nice was it ! bonked on the way down the second time - there was no go in the legs at all , i stopped sweating - whats always a bad sign , ate everything , drank all 3 bottles - if the mountain had been right at the end i think i would have totally blew up rather than just coasting to the end - was fully expecting Andy to come blasting pass and there would have been no response at all

OP
OP
Whorty

Whorty

That was awefull
Just saw the times you guys posted :notworthy: I'll be glad of anything below 3 hours. Will be taking it easy today, so don't think I'll be threatening any of yours times. Fan will be on full, water bottles full, brain set to pain mode!!! :B)

I'll be looking out for @JLaw and see if I can hold on to his coat tails for a bit but I'm expecting it to be a lonely ride.

Top Bottom