Zwift, Tour of Watopia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Breedon

Legendary Member
To be honest although I want to finish the tour I also want to get out on the road and what I do will depend on the weather. Not looking good though.
Dean, I would offer to join you on stage 7 and bump up the numbers but it will be a while before I throw myself at the Pretzel again, probably the week before the Pyrenees trip.
I'm the same as you bob so far the weather is dry for the weekend and I could cycle back from work Saturday and cycle to work Sunday morning which I might do I'll keep an eye out on the weather.

LBHIFI

Veteran
I did, at first it was bloody frightening, being blown across the road. I rode more central which meant riding over the rougher chippings. I was slower than last week, but faster than my age group competition. I wasn't really mentally up for it worrying about the wind, so quite surprised/pleased being only 20 secs slower.
I was wondering how wind would affect those tri spoke wheels. For your information, I can tell you that putting on a standard front wheel made a hell of a difference when I did a few test right before the race.
The hardcore TT'ers all had 50mm on though, so I guess it's a question of guts and experience (wind gust up to 18 m/s).

CXRAndy

Guru
I was wondering how wind would affect those tri spoke wheels. For your information, I can tell you that putting on a standard front wheel made a hell of a difference when I did a few test right before the race.
The hardcore TT'ers all had 50mm on though, so I guess it's a question of guts and experience (wind gust up to 18 m/s).

It wasn't the wind, but the gusts which were difficult to deal with, more to do with traffic and not the weaving.

bobinski

Legendary Member
Listening to the TR podcast where they interview Enve about their components and interesting where they talk about how their wheels deal with cross winds.

CXRAndy

Guru
Listening to the TR podcast where they interview Enve about their components and interesting where they talk about how their wheels deal with cross winds.

Its all bollox, alot of the fast guys have Enve/Zipp wheels. They all complained last night how much they were blown around. Im not saying there isnt a difference but its slight. All oval shaped wheels perform almost identically and disk wheels get blown about the most.

LBHIFI

Veteran
It wasn't the wind, but the gusts which were difficult to deal with, more to do with traffic and not the weaving.
Yes the gusts are the real problem. What made me change to a standard front wheel was the gusts coming in from the left just after the start on the downhill where we reach +60 kph:

View: https://www.facebook.com/ChronoCup/videos/1631877596894660/

The rest of the route was not really a problem.
I don't think the rear wheel is as big a problem and I would have put on my disc wheel if it hadn't been for the fact that it is fairly heavy.

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes the gusts are the real problem. What made me change to a standard front wheel was the gusts coming in from the left just after the start on the downhill where we reach +60 kph:

View: https://www.facebook.com/ChronoCup/videos/1631877596894660/

The rest of the route was not really a problem.
I don't think the rear wheel is as big a problem and I would have put on my disc wheel if it hadn't been for the fact that it is fairly heavy.

Apart from the tight bends it looks a nice course, the surface looks smooth as well. Our course is resurfaced every year by a sprinkling of chippings stuck down with tar. We lose usually one event due to loose chippings making the surface so dangerous for riders. We are then left with a coarse surface which takes several weeks to few months to be smoothed off by traffic.

LBHIFI

Veteran
Apart from the tight bends it looks a nice course, the surface looks smooth as well. Our course is resurfaced every year by a sprinkling of chippings stuck down with tar. We lose usually one event due to loose chippings making the surface so dangerous for riders. We are then left with a coarse surface which takes several weeks to few months to be smoothed off by traffic.
I work for the danish road directorate, so I know that kind of surface. ^_^ Really sucks the energy out of you.
I find that latex tubes makes a big difference on those rough surfaces, aren't you on tubeless? I guess that would be even better, or?

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
I find that latex tubes makes a big difference on those rough surfaces, aren't you on tubeless? I guess that would be even better, or?

I'm not with the TT bike, it came with clinchers, I have a set of 25mm Schwalbe Pro Ones to put on. I first wanted to get a feel for the bike and do minor adjustments to see if I could tease a little more speed whilst remaining comfortable(relative). I've ordered a 56t chainring to make the bike a single. I dont know if it will be a positive alteration until I try it, theory, is, it will give an extra 0.4mph for same cadence but using 12t cog as opposed to 11t

berty bassett

Legendary Member
how to waste an afternoon and a pot of latex goo !!
at least the shed floor looks waterproof now
got most the tyre on , poured goo in , popped tyre on , swished about abit , went to use joeblow pump but it did nothing apart from ooze goo while trying to pump up , took tyre to indoor shed where compressor is , tried that, more goo on shed floor , went back to outside shed , noticed i had dripped goo all through the kitchen , watched youtube video on how to do it , back to wheel that had oozed goo over bench and dripped onto upturned bike , done all the tips i had found and still no joy and very little goo left in tyre
took tyre off , cleaned it put an inner tube in it and put some goo in inner tube
stuff tubeless tyres !
at no point did it look like the tyre was ever close to sealing on the rim - it just sat in the middle part of the well bubbling at me !

CXRAndy

Guru
got most the tyre on , poured goo in , popped tyre on , swished about abit , went to use joeblow pump but it did nothing apart from ooze goo while trying to pump up , took tyre to indoor shed where compressor is , tried that, more goo on shed floor , went back to outside shed , noticed i had dripped goo all through the kitchen , watched youtube video on how to do it , back to wheel that had oozed goo over bench and dripped onto upturned bike , done all the tips i had found and still no joy and very little goo left in tyre
took tyre off , cleaned it put an inner tube in it and put some goo in inner tube
stuff tubeless tyres !
at no point did it look like the tyre was ever close to sealing on the rim - it just sat in the middle part of the well bubbling at me !

:laugh: . Sorry Lee, great description of your woes. I had a similar experience first time, but mastered the technique.

Try the dry method and fill Sealant through valve

bobinski

Legendary Member
stuff tubeless tyres !

:rolleyes: :laugh:

Syringe and valve for the win.

Breedon

Legendary Member
stuff tubeless tyres !
This is why im sticking to clinchers ^_^

Top Bottom