Zwift, Tour of Watopia 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Whorty

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Cheers mate. I’m not sure I’ll be ready in time for 8-30. 45m = 20 miles or so? I think I’ll be slower than your expectations. I’m trying to ride at 200w or less at the moment.
I did it just short of 45 mins, if that helps you plan your times. You should easily be south of that time

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
I did it just short of 45 mins, if that helps you plan your times. You should easily be south of that time

Not really bothered by time to be honest mate. Just trying to work out how far it is because I want to do 40 miles+ today. Like I say I’ll be trying to keep below 200w.

JuhaL

Guru
I honestly think clinchers are the worst option available. Tubular and tubelsss are both a little fiddly at first. But only a little honestly. And when you have it worked out they are so much better than clinchers. I run tubular in all my bikes now. Even my comuting bike. They don’t puncher as much as clinchers, and I reckon I can repair a puncture quicker on a tub than changing an inner tube now. But the main thing is the ride quality. I’ve started using tubs with latex inners, and honestly I didn’t think the difference would be as noticeable as it has been. But they’re fantastic. Plus I can run them at 80-90 psi for long rides to make them super comfy. Or pump them up to 140psi for short blasts. Two things you could never do with a clincher.

I’d honestly persevere a bit longer. Tubeless seem like the future to me. I’m sticking with tubs for now because I prefer the tyre options, and all my favourite rims are better suited to tubs than tubeless. Plus they’re lighter and I’m a tart. But if you’re into bikes and can do a bit of the maintenance yourself I think you have to give tubeless a go.
That is true that tubular tyres are better ride on a road. Actually only reason why i'm stay with clincher is a thought if puncture happens clincher tyre is better change on the road than tubular tyre and price is a small factor as well. I have try latex tubes too but most of a time i use butyl tubes and i didn't noticed different between those tubes, except i need to fill air in latex more often than butyl. But tubeless might be my next selection too. But good points to select tubeless or tubular.

My next tyre is probably wider 25mm tyre, i have now 23mm Conti GP4000S II. My new bike Cervelo S3 is very stiff and not very comfort on a rough pavement so need to try if wider tyre helps.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Wider tyre makes a massive difference. I ride 40c on my commuter and 25c on my road bike. Completely different ride over the same roads. ... Of course running the commuter say 65psi probably helps a lot though! ;)

berty bassett

Legendary Member
must admit i have gone from 23 to 25 and i can tell a big difference - well worth doing
yet to sample tubeless - might try again today
thinking that the tyre may sit better now that its been on the rim for a day

berty bassett

Legendary Member
what a difference stage 4 is without being dragged along
2 mins slower for the same effort and if it wasnt for a kindly gentleman dragging me along the middle part i would have been even slower
thanks Bob

bobinski

Legendary Member
what a difference stage 4 is without being dragged along
2 mins slower for the same effort and if it wasnt for a kindly gentleman dragging me along the middle part i would have been even slower
thanks Bob

09374C49-8660-4103-99EF-52ADFF3763A4.jpeg

Well, if SK has been prepared to work rather than sit in for so long early on we might all have been faster. He might see it differently. Like you two long stretches on my own and you are right, so much harder. Was glad to catch you but after you pulled away on the climb that was it for me. Stage 6 ain’t gonna happen today

Still, new power threshold of 243 which I will gladly take. Although Eric min “won”with less.

Last edited:

<Tommy>

Sorry didn’t join you guys in the end. Looked out the window, realised it wasn’t that wet and the rest is history....

Any of you guys using a power meter with the wahoo element notice anomalies in data with strava? My bolt is showing 250 watts and strava 220w. Odd as I think strava just takes the data from the element.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Was this outside ride on your new steed Tommy ? How are you getting on with it
Also any update on what your doing with the watt bike ?

<Tommy>

I took the tarmac out this morning mate. I’m still a little precious about getting the c64 wet. Plus the one time I did get caught in rain it was a bit of a pain to clean. It’s been great so far though Berty. I’ve got a slightly longer stem on it now since I took the pic I put up on strava. And it’s a little lower too. I’ve not done anything over 40 miles on it yet but it’s ticking all the boxes so far. One thing I’d say that relates to you personally is that I’ve changed from look keo blades to dura ace pedals on this bike. And the dura ace/Shimano system is loads better. They’re marginally heavier but it’s well worth it.

I’m still planning to sell the atom. No concrete interest from Facebook so I’ll probably put it on eBay and a couple of the forums soon.

Top Bottom