England : West Yorkshire 100 mile fixed ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Ah, i didnt realise it was fixed only. Count me out then as im single speed

I am sure those on the wrong side of fixed are fine, just no geared weirdos :okay:

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Fixed, fixed and SS, free for all ?

The idea was a fixed outing but to be honest I hadn't considered single speed. It's really going to depend on numbers. If there are enough takers then I'll keep it fixed (possibly and SS). If come January the numbers don't stack up then I'll have a rethink. Don't give up yet @rideswithmoobs. :stop:

What's the ideal number on a ride ?

@4F Good to have you along. :okay:

Fixed, fixed and SS, free for all ?

The idea was a fixed outing but to be honest I hadn't considered single speed. It's really going to depend on numbers. If there are enough takers then I'll keep it fixed (possibly and SS). If come January the numbers don't stack up then I'll have a rethink. Don't give up yet @rideswithmoobs. :stop:

What's the ideal number on a ride ?

@4F Good to have you along. :okay:

:wacko:Erm so what your saying is, if you get the numbers then im not invited but if you dont get sufficient interest then i can tag along to make up numbers ? :laugh::laugh: I expect you will want me to keep my distance at the back and eat at the cafe stop outside alone as well........its school all over again

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm in Colly. having done 100 miles many times with gears but completed my first 50 today fixed and it hurt. Just a quick note but if i was organising a fixed gear forum ride north of London i would'nt exclude geared riders. All welcome, fixed gear encouraged.

Is riding a fixed that much harder than a single speed?

@busdennis led the 100+ mile York to Humber Bridge ride on a single speed and he was holding back to allow the rest of us on geared to keep up.

Yet he describes 50 miles on a fixed as hurting.

I've never ridden either, but naively thought they would both be about the same in terms of effort.

(Apologies to @colly for the thread drift, but it looks like there will be plenty of time to get it back on track).

@busdennis led the 100+ mile York to Humber Bridge ride on a single speed and he was holding back to allow the rest of us on geared to keep up.

I've never ridden either, but naively thought they would both be about the same in terms of effort.

(Apologies to @colly for the thread drift, but it looks like there will be plenty of time to get it back on track).

I can only comment on ss and i average 16mph on rides around here and some hills i have to grind up but i loose out on flats, spinning out at 21 ish and descents i have no drive if bike is over 21/22mph but geared i could pick another gear and drive on faster. Averaged out i dont know if geared i would be quicker but it would be friggin easier on hills :laugh:
Maybe the constant turning of fixed meaning no break is harder on the legs so hurts more

D

Deleted member 1258

It's just a flag up to anyone who might fancy it.
@totallyfixed (who may not be here anymore) organised a 100 mile fixed ride a couple of years ago. 6 or 7 of us completed it and it was a good day out. I'm open to it being fixed or geared but if there is a fair bit of interest from fixed riders then I would keep it just as suggested. Although the post is only a couple of days old the tumbleweed blowing through isn't making it look promising.^_^

Early days yet, early days.:okay::okay:

I remember

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/100-mile-fixed-gear-ride-spring-2014.136598/page-16

Reactions: 4F

Broadside

Guru

Fixed gear and road bikes on one ride are IMO incompatible. I ride a geared road bike mostly but when I take my fixed gear out I won't ride with other normal road bikes. They muller me on the flats and downhills and then they can't keep up on the hills, it sort of just doesn't work. I love riding my fixed gear bike, but not with others on normal road bikes.

Similar for single speed, on my fixed gear I have to brake on anything steeper than 2% downhill, single speeders can freewheel and pull away leaving a fixed rider behind.

Top Bottom