17th April 2015 Night Ride to Bognor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I'm in to LST @ 22:14 as well (Harwich Train but I'll be jumping on at Chelmsford). However I need to cycle over to Euston to meet up with Lee W

What's all this booking trains from Bognor, isn't it just a turn up and get on job? I'm considering riding back a bit then getting the train to get the 130km in... but that will depend on how I feel when I get there!

kimble

Veteran
I'm worried about fitness. I slogged round 130km of headwindy audax on Saturday and have been utterly exhausted since - not sure if I'm ill, or have done too much too soon or what. My attempt at riding yesterday failed to achieve FNRttC speeds. If there isn't a miraculous improvement by tomorrow, I won't be coming.
Come anyway. I'll keep you company. Only fair given all the times you've hung around the back to keep me going.

Thanks, for the support, but after yesterday evening's pub ride of 20ish flat miles, I'm feeling even more wiped out and non-specifically Not Right. I'm all for heroically continuing on your remaining leg or whatever when things go wrong partway through a ride, but starting overnight rides when you're ill is silly and not conducive to either fun or a quick recovery.

Next time.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I've kinda forgotten how to do all this. Long time since I've ridden at night. How cold, or not, do peeps think it's likely to be? It's still pretty chilly at nights up this way, so I was thinking of wearing quite a lot of clobber, big gloves and suchlike. Is this madness?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've kinda forgotten how to do all this. Long time since I've ridden at night. How cold, or not, do peeps think it's likely to be? It's still pretty chilly at nights up this way, so I was thinking of wearing quite a lot of clobber, big gloves and suchlike. Is this madness?

It's chilly down here tonight and it's getting colder tomorrow apparently. down to low single figures over night. If I was doing the ride I would be wrapping up warm.

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Is the route to Gatwick going to be the same as the Brighton ride we did?
http://ridewithgps.com/routes/7517514
Here is the complete route. Please note that this is subject to change as always. The route to Gatwick is the same as the last night ride to Brighton, going down Reigate Hill.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It's chilly down here tonight and it's getting colder tomorrow apparently. down to low single figures over night. If I was doing the ride I would be wrapping up warm.
Beeb forecast for Gatwick has it down to 5 degrees at 3am. And quite windy, so it'll feel even colder. Quite a lot of clobber would be sensible.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
On the subject of rail fares, bought my tickets for tomorrow. The SWT discount offer is still on, so it was cheaper to buy a Southampton Airport-London return and my (full price) single to get to work- I'm not cycling 20 miles, at least not tomorrow- than a Southampton-London single alone would have been.
ETA into Waterloo 2323 (2208 service). Might, just, make the 2138 service (gets in 2249) if we make a few minutes time (big if), but it'll be a close-run thing, takes five or six minutes to get on the road and the northbound platforms are a half-mile ride. Either way, I'll be at the Arch in plenty of time for the safety talk.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
It's a lot colder tonight in London than it has been for the last few days. I'm going to wear three thin vests, a jersey and a thin sweater, and my fabulous Lidl ski gloves.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
Adrian C
Andrew F
Claudine C
Eddie C
Frank P
Geoff S