Scotland : Glasgow & Clyde Valley 3 ferries. April 27th 2014.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Might join you on the train T, never taken a bike on a train before and it might come into my thinking for Islay so a good rehearsal - the only issue (apart from the car) is Maddie will be finished in Canada by then so might (if she has run out of cash) be returning round about then. How late can you book your bike onto a train?
I've used the train to Gourock occasionally early on a Sunday and never any problem...I'd imagine Wemyss Bay train being quiet but obviously if a few are travelling this way...it would be advisable.
I know ..train to Gourock and its only 9 mile away:blush:

Fubar

Guru
I've used the train to Gourock occasionally early on a Sunday and never any problem...I'd imagine Wemyss Bay train being quiet but obviously if a few are travelling this way...it would be advisable.
I know ..train to Gourock and its only 9 mile away:blush:

£23.80 return from Edinburgh on thetrainline.com, though doesn't seem to have an option to book a bike - maybe it's there when you sign up, maybe not...

I'll see what @Telemark says and perhaps @Rasmus will share some knowledge as well - is it weird I am kind-of excited about taking my bike on a train for the first time? I'm sure the experience is much less exotic than I imagine!!

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
£23.80 return from Edinburgh on thetrainline.com, though doesn't seem to have an option to book a bike - maybe it's there when you sign up, maybe not...

I'll see what @Telemark says and perhaps @Rasmus will share some knowledge as well - is it weird I am kind-of excited about taking my bike on a train for the first time? I'm sure the experience is much less exotic than I imagine!!
On the trains I have travelled on in the last six month, there are bike sections

This for more info, perhaps?

Clicky HERE

The masthead is of Wemyss Bay station...i'm sure

Fubar

Guru
On the trains I have travelled on in the last six month, there are bike sections

This for more info, perhaps?

Clicky HERE

The masthead is of Wemyss Bay station...i'm sure

Thanks, interesting website - I'll have a play on the Scotrail site then consider my options, looks like I'll have to decide soon-ish!

Fubar

Guru
Now I'm even more confused (easy, I know) - going through the booking process it doesn't appear to give me an option to book a bike, which I thought was because Edin-Glasgow didn't need a booking however Scotrail's Connections Guide states:

On some longer distance routes, a compulsory cycle reservation is required – this applies to services between:
  1. Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen
  2. Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness
  3. Glasgow, Oban, Fort William and Mallaig
  4. Aberdeen and Inverness
  5. Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh
  6. Inverness, Wick and Thurso
  7. Glasgow and Stranraer
  8. Caledonian Sleepers between London and Scotland
Hmmm, will need to figure this one out. Glad I downloaded the guide though as is says that on trains to Ardrossan there is no dedicated cycle space!?! Must be possible though after the last few Arran rides.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Like you researched, Scotrail only does bike reservations on the long distance routes. Numbers 1 and 2 refer to Glasgow OR Edinburgh to Inverness/Aberdeen.

You shouldn't have any problems getting your bike on the Edinburgh-Glasgow-Wemyss Bay services. The Inverclyde/Ayrshire trains don't always have bike spaces per se, but plenty of open spaces where bikes can be stored. I think we had 15 or more bikes on the train when we went to Arran last July.

Fubar

Guru
Like you researched, Scotrail only does bike reservations on the long distance routes. Numbers 1 and 2 refer to Glasgow OR Edinburgh to Inverness/Aberdeen.

You shouldn't have any problems getting your bike on the Edinburgh-Glasgow-Wemyss Bay services. The Inverclyde/Ayrshire trains don't always have bike spaces per se, but plenty of open spaces where bikes can be stored. I think we had 15 or more bikes on the train when we went to Arran last July.

Ah, that makes more sense then - thanks! I can't imagine the Edin-GQS train being too busy on a Sunday at 8am but you never know, as you can tell this is all new to me...

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member

As above. I use the trains on the Ayrshire and Inverclyde lines regularly and have never had a problem getting a bike on. Have heard of EXTREMELY rare occasions of some jobsworth train manager taking umbrage at bikes being stored in places other than the designated space (from Glasgow this is usually in the rearmost carriage) for 3 or 4 bikes. As it's usually full of luggage, prams, or people, I put my bike in the space at the doors and have never had a problem. Just stay with the bike though, as doors open automatically and you don't want your bike falling out onto the platform just before the train pulls away!

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Bike on train experiences:
As far as I know, you CAN'T reserve bikes on the local central Scotland (i.e. Weegieland-Edinburgh, North Berwick, Fife Circle etc) & SPT trains ...
It's up to the conductor how many bikes they let on if the official spaces are full already, personally I haven't had a problem (yet) on the above train companies, even though I sometimes had to stand in the vestibule with my bike on busy trains they were very friendly about it.

Whereas for the longer distance ones (East Coast, Virgin, trains to Oban/Aberdeen/Inverness etc) you either won't get a space (very limited numbers and infrequent trains up to Inverness!), or possibly a grumpy person might not let your bike on even if there is space, due to THE RULES ... so for these it is advisable to book as far in advance as possible. East Coast heading south is normally not a problem to get spaces if you are flexible, as there are trains every 30 min or so ... Berwick-upon-TWeed is a brilliant starting point for all sorts of rides, unfortunately I don't think there's space for a whole CC Ecosse contingent unless we spread things out in handicap style, with faster riders catching up :laugh:

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Just looking for dates of the various CC Ecosse rides on offer ... is this the next one to take place? :scratch:
Really looking forward to it :wahhey:
BUT ... it's a loooong time to wait until then :ohmy:, well over two months to go! Might have a wee think about something further east, for a change, unless there is a Crow Road or a donner up the Tak ;) in the making...

Back on topic ...

Speed, bonnie boat, like our steeds down the hill,
Onward! the riders hoot;
Carry the bikes that were made to thrill
Over the sea to Bute.
Loud the winds howl, loud the waves roar,
Thunderclouds rend the air;
Baffled, our (non-cycling) mates stand by the shore,
Follow they will not dare.

I'll leave the rest of the Bute Boat Song for others to 'translate' :rolleyes:

T

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hiya! Forgot all about this!
I'm coming too, subject to train time table on a Sunday, haven't looked yet :blush:
I will get a lighter bike with skinnier tyres, so I'm a wee bit faster this time :heat:
That second, steeper hill and I have unfinished business :evil:

Top Bottom