England : Cheshire A long(ish), slow(ish), flat(tish) Cheshire ride - Sat, 4th June 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did an all-day tour of Cheshire with miscellaneous CycleChat members last June. We had a fine ride and agreed to do it again this year. Make a note in your diaries if you fancy coming along.

It is a 202 km route over pretty easy terrain. There are a few short steepish climbs, and several longer 'drags' but in terms of climbing, nothing really to fear.

By forum ride standards this is quite a long one but we will probably take about 11 or 12 hours (including any stops) so you shouldn't have a problem keeping up, assuming that you are confident of lasting the distance.

If you would like to do just part of the route with us, that is fine. Last year several riders did that.

Anyway, take a look at last year's thread - HERE. This year's route will be very similar though we will omit the first cafe stop and have a shorter stop at the Co-op in Malpas instead.

We really liked the cafe at Venetian Marina north of Nantwich so we will call in there again.

Here's a map showing the full 202 km route. Most of it is ridden in an anti-clockwise direction but the loop through Malpas will be done in a clockwise direction.

Cheshire 202 km route.gif

I have taken the precaution of plotting a shorter variation of the route in case we get bad weather. This omits the Malpas loop and heads straight for Venetian Marina, with another shortcut taken after the cafe stop.

Map showing the 143 km route, to be ridden in an anti-clockwise direction:

Cheshire 143 km route.gif

Littgull and I aim to arrive at the Broadway Meadow car park in Wilmslow at about 07:45. In case there is a problem with parking, let's say that we will make our way round to the front of the nearby leisure centre on Station Rd, hoping to leave at 08:00. If you want to set off with us, don't be late.

I have attached GPX files for the longer and shorter rides below.

@Littgull and @skudupnorth have already told me that they intend to do the ride. Post below if you would like to join us!

Attachments

• Cheshire 143 km from Wilmslow.gpx
    21 KB · Views: 178
  • Cheshire 200 km from Wilmslow.gpx
    26.2 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The cafe at Venetian Marina north of Nantwich will definitely be featured again this year, assuming that it is open (I'll confirm that before we set off).

I'm wondering about repeating last year's first cafe stop at Bunbury though. I remember it as being pleasant but quite expensive. I would be happy to miss that stop and make a short stop at the Co-op in Malpas after 88 km instead. That would save us some time and money.

If we are going to do 2 cafe stops then Bunbury is ideally placed at just over 1/3 of the total distance. What do you think - 2 cafes, or Co-op + cafe?

I have also plotted a shorter route in case the weather turns nasty on us. It reduces the distance by one third from 206 km (128 miles) to a more comfortable 143 km (89 miles). (If we do the shorterversion then the marina will be the only stop and that would be after 85 km (53 miles).)

Hi Colin,

The Co-op in Malpas would be fine by me for the first 'cafe' stop. They will surely sell things like bananas and cereal bars as well as soft drinks which will be sufficient to refuel with suitable carbo. But if the majority prefer the Bunbury cafe I'm ok with that too. I'll be looking forward to the Venetion Marina cafe stop as I recall from last year the quality and value of what was on offer was very impressive.
Regarding the weather, I hope by early June the wind strength dies down. I've never known a 12 months period to contain so many strong winds. Also the traditional UK ratio of 80 % (south westerlies)/20% other directions seems to have disappeared. I've lost count of how many strong easterlies there have been in the last 6 months. When I go out for a 2 - 3 hour solo ride I always research the forecasted wind direction and speed. If the forecasted strength is 10 mph or above (as it seems to be perpetually at the moment) I plan my route to get a tailwind on the return leg. This has meant I have been doing a lot of rides around the Saddleworth area to get a benefit from the strong easterly on the way back home. Whereas with strong westerlies forecasted most of my rides are in the direction of Rochdale / Bury when I set off.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, the threat of strong winds was one of the reasons why I searched for a shortcut! I wouldn't fancy doing 206 km if there were a gale blowing ...

The shortened route cuts out the loop through Malpas and heads straight for the marina from Bunbury. After the marina it takes a more direct route back to Wilmslow. I managed to find quietish roads and a couple of short lengths of bridleway to join them up. I found mention of local cycling clubs using the bridleways so they should be ok if we opt for the shorter route on the day.

Meticulous and thoughtful planning as ever, Colin.
Hopefully the strong winds will have died down by early June but if they haven't we have a Plan B.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi Colin,

The Co-op in Malpas would be fine by me for the first 'cafe' stop. They will surely sell things like bananas and cereal bars as well as soft drinks which will be sufficient to refuel with suitable carbo. But if the majority prefer the Bunbury cafe I'm ok with that too. I'll be looking forward to the Venetion Marina cafe stop as I recall from last year the quality and value of what was on offer was very impressive.
Regarding the weather, I hope by early June the wind strength dies down. I've never known a 12 months period to contain so many strong winds. Also the traditional UK ratio of 80 % (south westerlies)/20% other directions seems to have disappeared. I've lost count of how many strong easterlies there have been in the last 6 months. When I go out for a 2 - 3 hour solo ride I always research the forecasted wind direction and speed. If the forecasted strength is 10 mph or above (as it seems to be perpetually at the moment) I plan my route to get a tailwind on the return leg. This has meant I have been doing a lot of rides around the Saddleworth area to get a benefit from the strong easterly on the way back home. Whereas with strong westerlies forecasted most of my rides are in the direction of Rochdale / Bury when I set off.

Interesting comments on the wind.

I've not researched it like you have, but agree with your conclusions, we do seem to have had non-stop wind for 12 months or more.

As regards the ride, not one for me for two reasons.

I have a Carlisle to Newcastle ride with a mate planned for that day, and this one is too far for me.

But we need variety, so well done to @ColinJ for running a ride for those who can do 100+ miles.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Is this a loop that will start and finish in Wilmslow? I may well cycle out for a similar distance and try and catch you from Manchester.
Yes. It will follow last year's route at least as far as Huxley, and later back into Wilmslow from Marton. If the weather is okay then we will largely follow last year's route between those 2 points as well. If we decide to opt for the shorter version then we will take a more direct route between them.

It would be good if you could make it.

I'll try to update the first post with more details soon.

mythste

Veteran
Weather and fitness permitting, Tatton Park might be a good place to spot you. I'll keep an eye on this thread :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Weather and fitness permitting, Tatton Park might be a good place to spot you. I'll keep an eye on this thread :smile:
It would be. Mind you Tatton Park is about as far from the centre of Manchester as Wilmslow is. I assume that you would be coming from somewhere else in Manchester otherwise you might as well just meet us at the start!

ETA at the gate into the Park should be approx. 08:40, unless there is a problem of some sort.

mythste

Veteran
It would be. Mind you Tatton Park is about as far from the centre of Manchester as Wilmslow is. I assume that you would be coming from somewhere else in Manchester otherwise you might as well just meet us at the start!

ETA at the gate into the Park should be approx. 08:40, unless there is a problem of some sort.

You're assuming I've got the legs to go those few extra miles! :laugh:

Top Bottom