England : Cheshire A long(ish), slow(ish), flat(tish) Cheshire ride - Sat, 4th June 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
A shout out to other riders who did the ride last year, and those who expressed interest - @MartinQ, @Rickshaw Phil, @SteCenturion, @andytheflyer, @McWobble, @Katherine!

I'm not sure whether I'm going to be in Scotland or not yet. I'll keep an eye on here and let you know when things look a little more certain.

One thing: ISTR that the Venetian Marina cafe had stopped serving hot food and sandwiches by the time we got there - I was wondering whether it might be an idea to reverse the route round there to drop into the marina for lunch?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
ISTR that the Venetian Marina cafe had stopped serving hot food and sandwiches by the time we got there - I was wondering whether it might be an idea to reverse the route round there to drop into the marina for lunch?
We are skipping the first cafe stop and just having a quick stop at Malpas Co-op so we should get there significantly earlier than last time, especially if it is less windy.

If we do the shorter route (because of poor weather) then we will take a shortcut across to the marina and get there about 2.5 hours sooner.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I slowly rode most of Part 1 yesterday (19th June), but started at Warrington, when I got to Beeston, it started raining heavily, so I rode back. Nice route and it inspired me to ride a bit further, 84 miles total, so many thanks for putting the work into planning the route.

Route Part 1 on OS Map:
https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps/#/route/668548/Cheshire-Cycle-Chat-Ride-Part-1
I'm glad you liked it. We enjoyed it so much last year that we were already planning this rerun before we had finished!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Rode to the Venetian Marina today, the cafe was closed on a Tuesday and seemed to close at 4pm other days.
Apparently, it is 5 pm at weekends.

It does say that it may not be open if the weather is bad so I will give them a ring on the day to make sure that they will be open. I'll also look for an alternative cafe nearby just in case.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It would be a shame if they are closed as the cake choice and prices were awesome !
We can't do owt about the weather, but subject to the 'nobody left behind' policy let's try and keep up a reasonable pace to give us a leisurely stop there. As long as we do not get the headwind from hell on the way out, we should be able to get to the cafe before 3 pm. (That would only mean averaging about 19.3 kph/12 mph, including any short stops on the way.)

doughnut

Veteran
Weather forecast is looking good. And I have invested in a pair of shorts with super-powered bum padding (hopefully). Had a bit of a cold for last couple of days but I am working my way through the medicine cupboard, so will be ready to go on Saturday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Weather forecast is looking good ... Had a bit of a cold for last couple of days but I am working my way through the medicine cupboard, so will be ready to go on Saturday.
Yes, it is looking like we should be ok, weather-wise! I hope that you are over your cold by then.

Littgull and I aim to arrive at the Broadway Meadow car park in Wilmslow at about 07:45. In case there is a problem with parking, let's say that we will make our way round to the front of the nearby leisure centre on Station Rd, hoping to leave at 08:00. If you want to set off with us, don't be late.

Riders:

From Wilmslow
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull
  • Doughnut
  • potsy (riding as far as Tatton Park?)

From Tatton Park (Make it Rostherne entrance gate)
  • skudupnorth
  • GuyBoden

Reminders for those who said they are possibles ...
Anybody else fancy joining us? No problem if you only want to do part of the route but you will have to take your chances on meeting up with us if you do not set off with us (we will not hang about looking for you mid-ride!), and if you leave us part of the way round you will obviously have to find your own way back.

PS

I have invested in a pair of shorts with super-powered bum padding (hopefully).

I recently I did something rather stupid, bum padding-wise ... I have been wearing my Endura baggies recently and they have padded undershorts. There are press-studs to hold the undershorts in place but I didn't bother clipping them back in after the last wash, wearing them loose instead. I did a 50 km ride thinking how uncomfortable the padding was, only to discover when I got home that I had been wearing the undershorts back-to-front! :laugh:

mythste

Veteran
im 67.9% sure I'll meet you at the start in wilmslow.

If I don't make it, presume Mrs Mythste has me held hostage as she's found out I may have underestimated (lied) about how long it would take meaning I might be unavailable for her friends karaoke party on Saturday night...

Weather forecast is looking good. And I have invested in a pair of shorts with super-powered bum padding (hopefully). Had a bit of a cold for last couple of days but I am working my way through the medicine cupboard, so will be ready to go on Saturday.

I'm glad the weather forecast is warm and dry for Saturday. I've just come back from 4 days down south (Herts) at my son's, It's either been perishing (strong easterly and then northerly winds) or very wet - or both!

Top Bottom