A real winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Its colder today than i can remember for a long time,some people have been telling me we need a bad winter to get a good summer,i wonder how true this is.Do you think its about time we had a real winter,after all we havnt had one in a long time?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
when was the last time you saw a proper snowdrift col?

I'll bet it was about 1983 for me.

ChrisKH

Guru
dan_bo said:

New Years Eve 1977 / 1978 (or was it 76/77?) was the last snowdrift I saw.

One bad week of snow and ice in 1986/87.

Perhaps we're due a bad one this winter?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
dan_bo said:

I think it was about the late seventies,white hard crushed snow on the roads and the drifts were above our heads in the field corners just outside town,we have had the odd flurry since,but it melted hours later.I cant remember the last time i saw icicles,but i do like harsh winters,might be a nostalgic thing and i might not if it became a reality though.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I remember when I was a lad, you had proper winters then. I can remember shoveling the ice and snow off the drive and a little way down the pavement. Must have been over twenty years ago now.

Globalti

Legendary Member
1963 was the best. I remember toboganning, skating on frozen ponds and pushing stuck cars out of snowdrifts as high as the hedges. I also remember the relief of looking out of my bedroom window and seeing the snow had melted after a good couple of weeks of it.

I'm hoping the heavy rain we've had this year will turn to heavy snow.

Chris James

Über Member
dan_bo said:

Probably a couple of years ago. An insane taxi driver decided to take me back from Manchester Airport over Holme Moss. It was snowing heavily.

The drift in question was on the way down towards Holmfirth and a car was stuck in it!

More ... there were lots of 'bad' winters in the 80s. There is great photo in (I think) the Snake Pass Inn of kids playing on the A57 after the ploughs had been past. The snow was banked up about 30 feet.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I've seen a couple of wicked februaries in munich over the last ten years or so- but not in Manchester. never more than 2-3 inches these days- and it's gone by the next day!

HelenD123

Legendary Member
The town I live in was cut off for a day or so by snow just before New Year only a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom