Am I being selfish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Judging by your responses, I seem to be quite unpopular to many of you so let me explain. My parents were not poor but not wealthy either and money was always tight. At home, and that is in the 50's and 60's , we had to eat what was on our plate, none of that business of: " What do you want to eat?". Christmas was just a couple of presents, not a toy shop full, no central heating then but another jumper in a not super heated house. We were taught the value of money and the discipline of work. I am grateful to my parents for a decent up bringing by not wasting food, energies and resources. Now maybe you understand my personality better.
I've given up using the argument "in my day ....." in my house. My wife simply reminds me that this is not about me and that times have changed.

<makes mental note to self never to look for sympathy from CC forum members>

Stephenite

Membå
Judging by your responses, I seem to be quite unpopular to many of you so let me explain. My parents were not poor but not wealthy either and money was always tight. At home, and that is in the 50's and 60's , we had to eat what was on our plate, none of that business of: " What do you want to eat?". Christmas was just a couple of presents, not a toy shop full, no central heating then but another jumper in a not super heated house. We were taught the value of money and the discipline of work. I am grateful to my parents for a decent up bringing by not wasting food, energies and resources. Now maybe you understand my personality better.
Why would you think you are unpopular? I think you are a hoot.

Seriously... Relax. You are going to France. Eat, drink and be merry.

Tin Pot

Guru

Believe me, it wasn't any easier for me in the 70s and 80s. But letting your family stay in your house for *2* days...

64e7ac70236a2e1f041e1033d73401d1eb343a6a.jpg

P.s. I love your "old but not past it" tagline now more than ever

Attachments

• 64e7ac70236a2e1f041e1033d73401d1eb343a6a.jpg
    64e7ac70236a2e1f041e1033d73401d1eb343a6a.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 7

Tin Pot

Guru
How much are you thinking they'll use £100, £10, £1? I would understand if it was 2 months but for 2 days, I imagine the costs would negligible.

One's concept of money is forever set in your twenties. £1 for Gavroche is three doubloons and half a guinae*!!

Now maybe you'll understand his consternation.

*I am not all all ashamed that I can't spell this properly.

stephec

Legendary Member
One's concept of money is forever set in your twenties. £1 for Gavroche is three doubloons and half a guinae*!!

Now maybe you'll understand his consternation.

*I am not all all ashamed that I can't spell this properly.

You should be, your spelling's fowl.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Nope. That's how I was brought up. But I'm not a tightwad. If my in-laws want to stay, that's fine.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
R
a lot of people were brought up like that and are generous with what they have. You are just a miserable git!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

I was brought up in a 2 bedroom cottage with both parents and 5 siblings. My dad worked and mum was a housewife. When other kids in the street got bikes for Christmas, we got very little. But we were happy. Because we shared.

We all started work in our early years, I was 7 years old when I got my first out of school job. We all pitched in with our wages to make running the house easier for our parents.

I know what it is like not to have.

That is why it makes me feel so good to be able to let my kids have my house in Denmark for a week or two when I go on holiday. We also share it with Warmshower guests, Couchsurfers and the occasional touring cyclist we drag off the road in the summer as they cycle past.

The fact that you had it tough in the 70s just shows me that you should try and make it easier for as many people as you can now. Helping other people out is the easiest and most rewarding thing I can think of and it usually takes no effort.

Has anyone ever told you that you have become your father.

Last edited:
Top Bottom