Am I being selfish?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Judging by your responses, I seem to be quite unpopular to many of you so let me explain. My parents were not poor but not wealthy either and money was always tight. At home, and that is in the 50's and 60's , we had to eat what was on our plate, none of that business of: " What do you want to eat?". Christmas was just a couple of presents, not a toy shop full, no central heating then but another jumper in a not super heated house. We were taught the value of money and the discipline of work. I am grateful to my parents for a decent up bringing by not wasting food, energies and resources. Now maybe you understand my personality better.
You had plates and jumpers??!! When I were a lad...

You think you had it tough growing up? You lot know nothing of hardship

I never forget the year we summered in Provence and mamma said to chef it was maybe too much to have a fish course with every dinner. I was devastated. Luckily I had the presence of mind and maturity to throw a huge tantrum which sorted it out.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Judging by your responses, I seem to be quite unpopular to many of you so let me explain. My parents were not poor but not wealthy either and money was always tight. At home, and that is in the 50's and 60's , we had to eat what was on our plate, none of that business of: " What do you want to eat?". Christmas was just a couple of presents, not a toy shop full, no central heating then but another jumper in a not super heated house. We were taught the value of money and the discipline of work. I am grateful to my parents for a decent up bringing by not wasting food, energies and resources. Now maybe you understand my personality better.

So it's no the cost that's the problem, it's the lack of appreciation of your hospitality?

That's part of dealing with different generations, they see life through a different lens of their own experience so inevitably they don't behave or think the same way as you. No doubt you thought and behaved differently from your parents. It's just life. If I were you I would try to forget about their apparent ungratefulness otherwise it costs you a lot more than the few pounds of electricity we are talking about

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
"Reckless with the gas & electric" ....

not exactly bungee jumping naked from the chimney stack.

That's more of a four day stay thing, right?

Reminds me of an entertaining radio phone in from the '90s - one bloke boasted of taking the batteries out of his clocks while he was on holiday, so that the two weeks of power spent powering a clock he wouldn't be looking at wasn't "wasted".

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I urge you not to worry about your house and what giving it up to family might cost you. The fact that you have family around to stay at your house makes you rich already. The fact that you can afford a holiday makes you richer still. Going back to what you said about your parents - the cost of family staying in your house for 2 days is nothing, and the value is everything.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
^^^^^^ This^^^^^
There are those who have posted on the forum about being estranged from children or other family members for various reasons. There is also at least one individual who is long way from where they were brought up and is having to deal with what life is throwing their way, on their own. I am not saying you should be grateful for the cards life has dealt you, but sometimes a peek over the fence at what others have, or don't have sometimes adds a little perspective.
Personally I wouldn't have a problem with child 1 and her husband staying at our house for a couple of weeks, let alone a couple of days and I know she wouldn't if my wife and I stayed at hers for a couple of weeks. - And I suspect I am around the same age and had a similar upbringing, as you. Unless you genuinly think they are going to damage the property, or are incapable of looking after it for you, so what if someone uses a bit more fuel than you would? They are family.

U

User482

Come to think of it, my parents are staying at my house next week, when I'm away on holiday. Presumably this is a chance to remind them of the perils of modernity, and leave the heating turned off.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
falling asleep on the settee whilst the tv is on for example and I hate that.
Is the TV recent enough to have auto-power-off?

I'm uncomfortable with the idea, but it depends on their track record and I'd not get too excited about two days of power mismanagement. If they've a history of stupid damage, that would be worse, but I guess that's not the case. I'm a bit surprised at your wife agreeing to it without asking you, but it's your relationship not mine!

"Reckless with the gas & electric" ....

not exactly bungee jumping naked from the chimney stack.
Here, that would result in an unsightly hole in the roof!

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I forgot to say , by the way, that my son in law is always boasting about earning 80k a year but he is also a tight ass which, believe it or not, I am not. On the other hand, my step daughter is very generous. When it comes to my house, I also seem to behave differently. When out of my house, I am always the one paying first and buying things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom