At what point do groupsets become 'decent'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Probably a few hundred grams, if that, not a lot. 105 is epic in weight vs top end groupsets though! Half a kilo or something.

If one wants light, Campag and Sram equivalence are lighter.

However, if there is a limited budget, higher groupset is generally the wrong (albeit most popular :rolleyes:) thing to go for simply because they are all "decent" nowadays. Better wheels is where money (~30% of budget is not unreasonable) should usually be spent. The Caad8's are a case in point - even top models have some Maddux rims on various low end hubs, so you will end up with wheels weighing well over 2kg a pair. I would get a cheaper yet acceptable groupset, let them keep the stock wheels, and pay extra for some proven, quality Mavic/Fulcrum/Campag/Shimano or handbuilt ones.

Just my 2p.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

However, if there is a limited budget, higher groupset is generally the wrong (albeit most popular :rolleyes:) thing to go for simply because they are all "decent" nowadays. Better wheels is where money (~30% of budget is not unreasonable) should usually be spent. The Caad8's are a case in point - even top models have some Maddux rims on various low end hubs, so you will end up with wheels weighing well over 2kg a pair. I would get a cheaper yet acceptable groupset, let them keep the stock wheels, and pay extra for some proven, quality Mavic/Fulcrum/Campag/Shimano or handbuilt ones.

Just my 2p.

Exactly why I just bought SRAM Red (for my CAAD9)!

defy-one

Tiagra and above is generally classed as decent.

Road groupsets
For 2013, Shimano road bicycle groupsets include:
Dura-Ace Di2 [9070] (11 speed electronic)
Dura-Ace [9000] (11 speed)
Ultegra Di2 [6770] (10 speed electronic)
Ultegra [6700] (10 speed)
105 [5700] (10 speed)
Tiagra [4500] (10 speed) 9 speed on older models
Sora [3400] (9 speed) 8 speed on older models
2300 [2300] (8 speed)
2200 [2200] (8 speed)

Drago

Legendary Member
The higher a specs are progressively nicer finished, a touch lighter and have more flash, like concealed gear cables etc. but aside from the number of gears you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference in either shifting performance or durability.

400bhp

Guru
Tiagra and above is generally classed as decent.

Road groupsets
For 2013, Shimano road bicycle groupsets include:
Dura-Ace Di2 [9070] (11 speed electronic)
Dura-Ace [9000] (11 speed)
Ultegra Di2 [6770] (10 speed electronic)
Ultegra [6700] (10 speed)
105 [5700] (10 speed)
Tiagra [4500] (10 speed) 9 speed on older models
Sora [3400] (9 speed) 8 speed on older models
2300 [2300] (8 speed)
2200 [2200] (8 speed)

Says who and in what context?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Objectively speaking of course! Just doing a bit of window shopping for a potential new bike and groupsets are something I don't know a huge amount about of.

Looking at the Cannondale CAAD8, you can buy it with 2300, Sora, Tiagra and 105 groupsets on and while I'm used to the 2300 set (my bike had that now) where is the point that you get that jump in quality? From what I've read it's the 105 set that is the step up towards the high end, is that right or would the Tiagra/Sora set be near enough?

TIA

Tony.
When you change to Campagnolo.:whistle:
Happy Christmas all:cheers:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Just my 2p.
This is the correct answer.
More expensive groupsets don't make the bike any faster, but better wheels and tyres will make a real difference to performance and how the bike feels.

Manonabike

Über Member

Just my 2p.

I don't think this would be advisable for a heavy rider. Light wheels probably would not last long and would be money down the drain.

Would anyone be happy with a top frame and a sora or tiagra groupset? Just asking cause I was looking at a frame at a LBS and the guy said "nice frame, isin't it? This frame deserves Ultegra at the very least!!!!"

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I don't think this would be advisable for a heavy rider. Light wheels probably would not last long and would be money down the drain.

Would anyone be happy with a top frame and a sora or tiagra groupset? Just asking cause I was looking at a frame at a LBS and the guy said "nice frame, isin't it? This frame deserves Ultegra at the very least!!!!"

light wheels do not mean weak or poor quality, I run Zipp wheels which are some of the lightest on the market today, yet they remain the choice of many pro's because of the performance, weight and durability... A good set of wheels will not be money down the drain.

I run what some may people may consider to be decent frames, currently my road bikes are S-Works Venge and Tarmac and a Look 695 and my groupset of choice is the Shimano Dura Ace Di2 with modifications. From the perspective of someone who has such kit I think what RecordAceFromNew has advised is spot on you would be well advised to listen to him imho

edwardd67

I've a CADD8 with Sora triple 9spd.
I've had wheels built and I'm looking to upgrade the groupset in the new year.
Frame is good though.

Top Bottom