At what point do groupsets become 'decent'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclist33

How would you consider Sora better than 105s? Surely logic would prevail that both are equal or the 105s are better by some degree? It seems illogical to purchase something of a higher value that isn't as great as a cheaper alternative.

Well, marketing plays a part for one thing. It's naive to think otherwise. But as I said (thought it was clear?), I have two bikes one with Sora and the other with 105, the Sora one is a year old and came back from the shop with the gears exceedingly well set up and they shift better than the 105s on the other bike.

AndyRM

XOXO
Campagnolo Veloce. I had 105s on the other bike. I'm never going back.

Personally, I have found lower end Campag better than mid-range Shimano. The shift feels more assured and precise and the hoods benefit from superior ergonomic design.

105 seems ok, and it's certainly a step up from Sora or Tiagra, but I much prefer the feel of a Campag group.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Personally, I have found lower end Campag better than mid-range Shimano. The shift feels more assured and precise and the hoods benefit from superior ergonomic design.

105 seems ok, and it's certainly a step up from Sora or Tiagra, but I much prefer the feel of a Campag group.
I can't quite put my finger on it, but the Campagnolo shifters, hoods and rear mech are just a joy to use. They just fall into my hands naturally. It's personal. If it works for you with other gear, that's fine. Have fun.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, marketing plays a part for one thing. It's naive to think otherwise. But as I said (thought it was clear?), I have two bikes one with Sora and the other with 105, the Sora one is a year old and came back from the shop with the gears exceedingly well set up and they shift better than the 105s on the other bike.
But how would the 105 feel were it to be set up by the genius who fettled your Sora?

martint235

Dog on a bike
That does just suggest your 105s aren't set up as good as they could be. I can accept that Sora could perform as well as 105 if set up correctly. The difference in price could cover things like lifespan etc but I can't see how Sora set up optimally could be better than 105 set up optimally.

AndyRM

XOXO
That does just suggest your 105s aren't set up as good as they could be. I can accept that Sora could perform as well as 105 if set up correctly. The difference in price could cover things like lifespan etc but I can't see how Sora set up optimally could be better than 105 set up optimally.

I was thinking about this on the way in to work. All I could come up with was a rather flimsy thought about the trickle-down-tech theory; a new Sora group being the same as 105 from a couple of years ago. But then that 105 would be Ultegra from a couple of years ago so that doesn't quite work.

AndyRM

XOXO
105 was 10spd from 2007, Tiagra wasn't 10spd until 2012 and Sora is still 9spd since 2009

Trickle down effect?

I did say theory, rather than effect, as I've never been convinced it was 'a thing'. What you've said pretty much confirms this (I've never been bothered to actually research it).

This is an absolute outrage. I'll be putting my foot through all my copies of Cycling Plus and sending them the bill. If I'm sick all over myself in the process I will expect further compensation.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
It's as much a thing as magazine and internet touted "Armstrong had a high cadence so you should" ballix

:smile:

GrasB

Veteran
What are the relative ages & usage of the bikes? If the 105 bike has seen hard use you're comparing a well worn shifter & mech with a new & tight setup. Also things like having new outer & inner cables can make a huge difference.

Cyclist33

I was thinking about this on the way in to work. All I could come up with was a rather flimsy thought about the trickle-down-tech theory; a new Sora group being the same as 105 from a couple of years ago. But then that 105 would be Ultegra from a couple of years ago so that doesn't quite work.

Well I think that might be involved - but really the point I was failing to make was that it makes as much of if not more of a difference how the parts are set up than how far up the ladder you've paid... a Sora 100% properly configured is at least as good as a 105 that has been set up by an average qualified mechanic.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Well I think that might be involved - but really the point I was failing to make was that it makes as much of if not more of a difference how the parts are set up than how far up the ladder you've paid... a Sora 100% properly configured is at least as good as a 105 that has been set up by an average qualified mechanic.
Not to mention what you're doing with the bike.

I don't want spendy 11 speed stuff on an all weather commuter, I want durable, cheap chains and cassettes that I can ride in all weathers without worrying too much about the cost of replacing it all.

Top Bottom