At what point do groupsets become 'decent'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
light wheels do not mean weak or poor quality, I run Zipp wheels which are some of the lightest on the market today, yet they remain the choice of many pro's because of the performance, weight and durability... A good set of wheels will not be money down the drain.

I run what some may people may consider to be high end frames, currently my road bikes are S-Works Venge and Tarmac and a Look 695 and my groupset of choice is the Shimano Dura Ace Di2 with modifications. From the perspective of someone who has such kit I think what RecordAceFromNew has advised is spot on you would be well advised to listen to him imho

I did say heavy rider and by that I mean a 16 stone or more rider. Best to read what I said.

I found your post pretty pointless unless you just wanted to rub my nose with the super duper equipment you ride.

I don't disagree that many pro rate light wheels, ie Zipp wheels highly but then again non of the pro are anywhere 14 stone let alone 16 or more. In that case, a heavy rider, I imagine would be advised to buy strong wheels which might not be in the weight range you are talking about.

I think, as a general rule, the smart thing to do is spending the money in light wheels but the rule does not apply to everybody. That is my argument.

If you can prove to me that a 16+ stone rider would not brake those Zipp wheels pretty quickly then you are right and I'm wrong. The advise would apply to heavy riders too.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I found your post pretty pointless unless you just wanted to rub my nose with the super duper equipment you ride.

I have no desire to rub anyone's nose in anything, its not my style and anyone who knows me would inform you of this and I apologize if I offended you for some reason. I was simply trying to express that from the perspective of someone who has what others describe as a decent group set. I do not think different specification group sets are by large inferior and that going from one to another makes a massive difference, all group sets these days seem to perform pretty well and are reliable. From my own experiences I think wheels make a bigger difference that's all.

If you live around London I would be willing to let you have a go on my wheels and group sets if desired, then you can decide for yourself regarding what area you personally find the biggest improvements. Its you that matters after all nobody else

Equally If your interested Zipp state all their carbon clinchers are suitable for riders up to 250lbs which is 17.8 stone I can't however prove anything other than what Zipp states.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I don't think this would be advisable for a heavy rider.

I think you might have misread my post.

Imho, firstly most stock wheels that come with bikes of limited budget are even more ill-suited to heavy riders than light riders because strong wheels are costly to build, and expensive wheels don't seem to be as valued by buyers in relation to higher groupset level. If Maddux rims were great I would expect them to be readily available and selling like hot cakes.

Secondly for such bikes what I said was generally one should "pay extra for some proven, quality Mavic/Fulcrum/Campag/Shimano or handbuilt". For heavy riders and for road wheels handbuilt may well be best, but since the strongest off-the-shelf hubs are mtb hubs exceptionally heavy riders should probably consider having an mtb spaced, disc spec frame, and therefore what follows should probably apply. For mtbs strong and light factory wheels are readily available from the above plus a couple of other wheel manufacturers (except Campag which don't sell mtb equipment except via Fulcrum which they own), and unlike a pair of handbuilt by your friendly LBS they would have been built with special components and have been proven in extreme circumstances.

The advantage of handbuilt over factory wheels is that they are usually easier to maintain (components are more readily available).

Just asking cause I was looking at a frame at a LBS and the guy said "nice frame, isin't it? This frame deserves Ultegra at the very least!!!!"

Perfect seller comment for a buying population often obsessed with groupset level, wouldn't you say?

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

defy-one

Just for the record i have riden with Mr Vengedetta on several occasions .... he has some great bikes,but i'm certainly not left feeling inferior with my entry level Defy (relative to his bikes).
He passes on a lot of information,and it's always a pleasure to see his machines

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Just for the record i have riden with Mr Vengedetta on several occasions .... he has some great bikes,but i'm certainly not left feeling inferior with my entry level Defy (relative to his bikes).
He passes on a lot of information,and it's always a pleasure to see his machines

+1

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
Thanks :smile:. FWIW, I'm aware of the difference better wheels can make. I'm looking at new wheels for my current bike and if they're better than the ones on the bike I might buy then they can go onto that without me having to get the toolbox out.

Groupsets aren't so easy though, are they? My current window shopping is in preparation for my 40th next year and if budget allows an £800 - £1000 bike would be great. For us, that's a fair wedge of cash so I want a bike that is the best quality that I can afford.
My thinking in regard to groupsets is that the better sets are not only lighter, but are more reliable and made from better quality materials so in theory should last longer. The 2300 groupset on my Triban does it's job well enough, but I'm sure there's better...

The CAAD8 ticks a lot of boxes but as it comes in four different sets and priced accordingly, surely there's more to it than weight?

Tony.

billy1561

BB wrecker
I am running Dura ace on my cube and it's a great ride but to be honest i think that's because of the frame and wheels. I had a cannondale synapse which had 105 and it was superbly smooth between gears. I have had to index my Dura setup 3 times in 5 months. Something i never had to do with 105.

I had 9 speed Sora fitted to my Specialized allez and upgraded it to 5700 105 chainset and shifters with an ultegra rear mech. The difference in shifting is night and day. Whether that is down to the groupset or the fact that I fitted new cassette, bearings and cables I cant say.

Manonabike

Über Member
I have no desire to rub anyone's nose in anything, its not my style and anyone who knows me would inform you of this and I apologize if I offended you for some reason. I was simply trying to express that from the perspective of someone who has what others describe as a decent group set. I do not think different specification group sets are by large inferior and that going from one to another makes a massive difference, all group sets these days seem to perform pretty well and are reliable. From my own experiences I think wheels make a bigger difference that's all.

If you live around London I would be willing to let you have a go on my wheels and group sets if desired, then you can decide for yourself regarding what area you personally find the biggest improvements. Its you that matters after all nobody else

Equally If your interested Zipp state all their carbon clinchers are suitable for riders up to 250lbs which is 17.8 stone I can't however prove anything other than what Zipp states.

I was not offended by the comments I just could not see your point.

If Zipp state that weight then I stand corrected. I always thought that that kind of wheels would be pretty much waisted with a heavy rider.

I think you might have misread my post.

Imho, firstly most stock wheels that come with bikes of limited budget are even more ill-suited to heavy riders than light riders because strong wheels are costly to build, and expensive wheels don't seem to be as valued by buyers in relation to higher groupset level. If Maddux rims were great I would expect them to be readily available and selling like hot cakes.

Secondly for such bikes what I said was generally one should "pay extra for some proven, quality Mavic/Fulcrum/Campag/Shimano or handbuilt". For heavy riders and for road wheels handbuilt may well be best, but since the strongest off-the-shelf hubs are mtb hubs exceptionally heavy riders should probably consider having an mtb spaced, disc spec frame, and therefore what follows should probably apply. For mtbs strong and light factory wheels are readily available from the above plus a couple of other wheel manufacturers (except Campag which don't sell mtb equipment except via Fulcrum which they own), and unlike a pair of handbuilt by your friendly LBS they would have been built with special components and have been proven in extreme circumstances.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear enough on what I was trying to say. I keep reading people advising that the smart way to spend the cash when buying a new bike is on light wheels. I think the advise should be more specific.....I feel that riders come in all sort of shapes, sizes, weights and with all kinds of reasons to ride a bike. What I'm trying to say is that is absolutely fine for some riders to invest in light wheels, however, as you say, for heavy riders the option would be hand built wheels which doesn't necessarily mean light wheels.

The advantage of handbuilt over factory wheels is that they are usually easier to maintain (components are more readily available).

Perfect seller comment for a buying population often obsessed with groupset level, wouldn't you say?

Hope it helps! :thumbsup:

Exactly my thoughts BUT further considerations made me see his point :smile: would you spend lots of cash on a super light weight frame only to use heavy components? Probably not, unless the person is saving up the pennies for lighter components.

Why people seem to prefer higher groupset than better wheels? No idea. All I know is that some people have some funny ideas about equipment. Some people seem obsess with the number of gears they have and are prepared to spend lots to get 11 gears. Don't see a problem with that for somebody that will really notice the difference but for the average guy an 11th gear is just a reason to make a statement. I'm sure I don't need more than 8, even 7 would do for me I guess.

I recently built a bike on a nice enough frame. I asked myself what do I need and what is the best value for money. No 1 priority was the frame the rest was not so important to me. I ended up with a 105 groupset but only 8 gears that is all I need. I can change cassette and chain every 3000 miles for < £20.
Best SPD pedals I could find, Best saddle for me, etc. I will upgrade the brakes at some point for some Sram brakes I hear are excellent and better wheels .

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I had 9 speed Sora fitted to my Specialized allez and upgraded it to 5700 105 chainset and shifters with an ultegra rear mech. The difference in shifting is night and day. Whether that is down to the groupset or the fact that I fitted new cassette, bearings and cables I cant say.

I'm thinking of getting a Specialized Allez. I take it you are happy with it?

I bought it second hand without seeing the bike and to be honest it looks as though it had a hard life, but as I only really wanted it for the frame I wasnt too disappointed. All the reviews say the frame is pretty good.

Road_Runner

Regular
I've found this an interesting read. So what i've gleamed from this thread is that apart from the electronic shifters, the only real difference is the weight of the components and the number of gears. As the reliability and ability to shift gears are pretty much the same throughout the range - potentially slight increase in reliability and performance as the price tag increases.
I find it interesting because i've been cycling since my early teens. I started with mountain biking and soft-core downhill where i used to trash too many cheap derailleurs purely because they weren't strong enough. As i bought more expensive groupsets, i found that not only does the weight go down and the number of gears went up but they also gained strength and snappiness.

One question that i would like to ask is how quickly does the improvements and technology tend filter down to the lower spec components. I'm currently running Sora shifters with thumb shifts. I'm curious, when did they phase out thumb shifters for the double finger shifters? I currently don't care about what groupset spec that i run, unless there is a substantial difference. So i don't mind purchasing one of the entry level groupsets. I'm not a real fan of the thumb shifters though and when my groupset needs replacing (or the drive chain at least), i would love to purchase a groupset with double finger shifters without having to spend a fortune.

Cyclist33

Objectively speaking of course! Just doing a bit of window shopping for a potential new bike and groupsets are something I don't know a huge amount about of.

Looking at the Cannondale CAAD8, you can buy it with 2300, Sora, Tiagra and 105 groupsets on and while I'm used to the 2300 set (my bike had that now) where is the point that you get that jump in quality? From what I've read it's the 105 set that is the step up towards the high end, is that right or would the Tiagra/Sora set be near enough?

TIA

Tony.

Provided they are set up well, Sora gears can be (are in the case of my two bikes) better than 105s. I had the good fortune to have some kind of genius tune up my Giant at the local shop, it came back with gears shifting tighter than a ballerina's body-stocking!

Road_Runner

Regular
How would you consider Sora better than 105s? Surely logic would prevail that both are equal or the 105s are better by some degree? It seems illogical to purchase something of a higher value that isn't as great as a cheaper alternative.

Top Bottom