Buying a van?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Peeps

Given that a lot of our leisure time is transporting bikes here there and everywhere I'm thinking of ditching the estate + bike trailer and getting a van.

Looking at about £8k to spend.

Must have 5 seats.

Thinking of Volkswagen Transporter or Transit.

How easy and cost effective is it to buy rear seats and a bulkhead aftermarket rather than buying up front?

Thoughts?

Have you considered Merc Viano? Very van like but should still be comparatively refined and not be too bad on local runs to the shops etc.
Mercedes_Viano_2011_00.jpg

Thing to watch with any modificatons is insurance. Will it still be covered?
Seems quite a lot to spend to then be bodging it up.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Vans get you a lot of volume on the cheap because they don't have expensive interior trim. Unfortunately, OTH has pointed out the flaw. The insurance people will scupper you.

I used to do the school run with three five year olds cowering in the cargo compartment of a Vauxhall Combo... "Duck down if you see Mr Plod..."

They squealed with excitement.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 3043724, member: 9609"]I pay more insurance (nearly double) on a 70bhp berlingo van than my wife pays on a 210bhp mercedes car - we both have unblemished driving records and full ncb. And the car will be worth at least 20x the value of the van[/QUOTE]
White van? Mine has an asset value of £14 according to the audited accounts this financial year. It's very old and quite rusty. It costs nearly £400 to insure on a clean license.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 3043731, member: 9609"]When the insurance broker asked me its value. my answer was depends how much fuels in the tank.
I'm paying 370 for 3rd party, my wife is paying 190 fully comp. WVM clearly has a bit of a reputation.[/QUOTE]
Reiver, I feel your pain.:cry:

screenman

Legendary Member
C4 Picasso or the like, back seats out in a minute and you have a van. Lower insurance, more power, more refinements and the benefits of carrying extra passenger with a quick conversion. Limo tint behind B Pillars, nothing in front of them as that is illegal. With mine when I had it I used to take just the rear central seat out and could stand 2 bike upright without taking any wheels off without problems.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
C4 Picasso or the like, back seats out in a minute and you have a van. Lower insurance, more power, more refinements and the benefits of carrying extra passenger with a quick conversion. Limo tint behind B Pillars, nothing in front of them as that is illegal. With mine when I had it I used to take just the rear central seat out and could stand 2 bike upright without taking any wheels off without problems.

We used to run a Chrysler Voyager. Sad vehicle but big, comfy, powerful and adaptable. You can pick em up cheap as well. 8K would get you a hell of a lot of voyager.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I am in the same situation. I got rid of my Peugeot partner 2 weeks ago before I had to spend money on it.
I have a budget of £10,000.
Friends have VW Transporters. One says that the passenger ride is awful, and as we're both spending the money.....
I have been thinking of estates, because after driving the Partner for 7 years I fancy something with a bit of luxury and padding, because after all, a van is a van is a van.
It would also be the main family vehicle, so would have to look respectable.

As you can see I don't know what to do, so I am doing nothing!

ASC1951

Guru
[QUOTE 3043731, member: 9609"]When the insurance broker asked me its value. my answer was depends how much fuels in the tank.
I'm paying 370 for 3rd party, my wife is paying 190 fully comp. WVM clearly has a bit of a reputation.[/QUOTE]Did you ask for a fully comp quote for yourself? With an older car it is often cheaper than 3rd Party.

Top Bottom