Buying a van?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Could you clarify the requirements? Does it need to seat five and fit in five bikes at the same time?

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify a couple of things:

I am not buying a C4 Picasso or people carrier.

Insurance-so long as I'm not paying significantly (i.e. more than another £400 say a year on top of about £300 we pay now) more that what we pay now I am not bothered.

My understanding is that VED will be about £200 a year on a van registered before 2009 (which it will)

I have an estate now. Although the bikes are fine on the bike trailer it is a compromise. I'd like them out of site and away from the elements.

I would like room for at least 3 people and 6 bikes. I like to have flexibility. I don't want us all cramped up on 3 seats in the front of a van. I'd like rear seats.

I would consider the crew cabs, like a ford ranger.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify a couple of things:

Insurance-so long as I'm not paying significantly (i.e. more than another £400 say a year on top of about £300 we pay now) more that what we pay now I am not bothered.

My understanding is that VED will be about £200 a year on a van registered before 2009 (which it will)

I have an estate now. Although the bikes are fine on the bike trailer it is a compromise. I'd like them out of site and away from the elements.

I would like room for at least 3 people and 6 bikes. I like to have flexibility. I don't want us all cramped up on 3 seats in the front of a van. I'd like rear seats.

I would consider the crew cabs, like a ford ranger.

Have you considered a 'people carrier' style of vehicle such as, perhaps, Citroen's C4 Picasso?

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Hmm, might have changes my mind on the peaople carrier.

Seat Alhambra looks ginormous. Take the last row of seats out and jobs a good un.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
We run crew cab pickups at work. You won't get six bikes in the back of one, not no way not nohow - unless you're prepared to have them stick out of the back (and then they're not out of the elements).

Old ones can go cheap, but good luck finding a crew cab in 2WD. 4WDs are very thirsty beasts. If you must, buy the Toyota - the others are built to last around 60,000 miles for the fleet market; they fall apart after that.

KneesUp

Guru

Seat Alhambra looks ginormous. Take the last row of seats out and jobs a good un.

In that case, Honda FR-V?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
How about a Volvo?
Team%20Sky%20FH_PIC01.jpg

Andrew_P

In between here and there
When I was thinking of doing this it would have been between a Mercedes Vito LWB with Crew Cab or a Vauxhall LWB Vivaro with crew cab the latter offering the best value for money but being more white van man style.

Not sure about the full 6 bikes in it though? Vito Dualiner LWB

600.jpg

KneesUp

Guru
When I was thinking of doing this it would have been between a Mercedes Vito LWB with Crew Cab or a Vauxhall LWB Vivaro with crew cab the latter offering the best value for money but being more white van man style.

Not sure about the full 6 bikes in it though? Vito Dualiner LWB

View attachment 43298
Six bikes and not much else, but I reckon they'd fit on the basis that I can get two in the width of one removed seat in our car. It's easier if they go opposite ways around rather than handlebars together, and it's easier still if you loosen the stem and turn the bars.

MarkF

Guru
I've recently thought about doing similar but I don't want a van as my only car, I hire vans every week for my work and I've never found one I've enjoyed driving or one that I'd want to own. I've decided to buy a box trailer. :smile:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Looking at it I think you are right they could well fit.

Wish I hadn't looked at this thread now as it has re-ignited the thought of getting one just being able to put my bike and the kids bikes in the back drive somewhere do the riding etc really appeals. I have a tow bar rack which is brilliant for stability but a pain in the backside faffing around and shouldn't really put a carbon bike on it. The other reason I wanted one was relatively low risk parking at Cafes etc as well. Plus on holiday safeish bike storage, ha talking myself back in to it again!

Top Bottom