Buying a van?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Looking at it I think you are right that they could well fit.

Wish I hadn't looked at this thread now as it has re-ignited the thought of getting one just being able to put my bike and the kids bikes in the back drive somewhere do the riding etc really appeals. I have a tow bar rack which is brilliant for stability but a pain in the backside faffing around and shouldn't really put a carbon bike on it. The other reason I wanted one was relatively low risk parking at Cafes etc as well. Plus on holiday safeish bike storage, ha talking myself back in to it again!

That's exactly what I want - and being as there are only 3 of us, the FR-V would be perfect as it means we can use the whole back of the car for bikes, tents and family holiday stuff and all sit together in the front. I reckon one of those would take 6 bikes and 3 people.

EDIT - Honda seem to think 3, but you could easily get two or three more in there in the gaps if you put them the other way around :smile:

202725.1-lg.jpg

Last edited:

djb1971

Legendary Member
I used to get four bikes in the back of my swb transit, bars front/rear/front/rear comfortably without banging into each other. It also sat 3 up front. Fitting six inside will be a squeeze unless you place them against each other risking scratches etc.

What you need is a vw/ford etc. with a seat conversion or a combi version. You could also look at a lwb torneo connect. It'll have enough seats and room for 4 bikes or more in the back.

You'll probably need to pay vat on top of the van price too unless you're lucky enough to drop on a vat free one. Most used vans in your price range will be farked too!

I drive vans every day and love driving them but if I didn't need a van for work there's no way I'd buy one. You'll get much more for your money buying a car version with seats and windows. They'll have more luxurious kit on them too.

If you go with a compromise of taking off the front wheel on the bikes then the bike space shrinks down a huge amount and opens up lots more options.

Three people and six bikes all inside a box makes a quite big box. If that quite big box is then called a van, minibus or people carrier really is not an issue. The more like a van it is the worse the drive will be. The more like a people carrier (trying to be a big car) it is the better the drive and comfort.

Perhaps a bit near the Picasso but I think with a bit more style is the Pug 5008. Seats can be in 2;1 format which should leave enough bike room.
media?id=3a887c4f7790604d1070d57350046ec4&width=640&height=480.gif

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classi...id/f524de35f380b41169a576561e18c3e7?logcode=p

This one is £8k for a 2010 and ticks lots of boxes. I think I would want a bigger engine though. Really looks like a huge estate car.

T4/T5/Vito for a van, then go to a camper van conversion place and get a rear seat put in on rails which you can slide about, or a single seat. Neighbour down the road bought a T5 and got it converted but just with what he wanted as he was using it for surfing. I think he had a rear seat and a small side kitchen but the options are endless.

Simpler choice is an Alhambra style vehicle which you can take seats out of. I had the use of the Seat Alhambra for a bit and it was, at the time, the best of the people carriers with the same engines as the VW's and Audis. The Citroen C8, with apologies to anyone who has one, was the worst, a big woozy armchair of a thing.

And I'll just add, the T5 is easily the best driving van of that type.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
See for me the reason for a LWB van was no faffing, open doors put bike in, get in, drive off. Moving seats around minding carpets etc is still a bit of a faff

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Hmm, might have changes my mind on the peaople carrier.

Seat Alhambra looks ginormous. Take the last row of seats out and jobs a good un.

That didn't last long. People carriers are w_ank. Went to look at that Alibabahambara thingy today after work. It's no bigger than the mondeo estate, just a little taller, but not tall enough to stand the bikes upright.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Mitsi L200 Warrior then !!! Big Spot Lights, 'roo' bars, you know you wanna !!!:tongue:

3 people and 6 bikes - greedy !!!:tongue:

Probably gonna be something like this .

Yeah greedy but...going on holiday..me and the OH need best bikes for solo rides, the nipper needs her bike and we need two hybrids when with the nipper.

I really CBA about style any more in a car. Just get the job done. That is all.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Looking at it I think you are right they could well fit.

Wish I hadn't looked at this thread now as it has re-ignited the thought of getting one just being able to put my bike and the kids bikes in the back drive somewhere do the riding etc really appeals. I have a tow bar rack which is brilliant for stability but a pain in the backside faffing around and shouldn't really put a carbon bike on it. The other reason I wanted one was relatively low risk parking at Cafes etc as well. Plus on holiday safeish bike storage, ha talking myself back in to it again!

EXACTLY. You are in the same boat as me and GET IT.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
T4/T5/Vito for a van, then go to a camper van conversion place and get a rear seat put in on rails which you can slide about, or a single seat. Neighbour down the road bought a T5 and got it converted but just with what he wanted as he was using it for surfing. I think he had a rear seat and a small side kitchen but the options are endless.

Simpler choice is an Alhambra style vehicle which you can take seats out of. I had the use of the Seat Alhambra for a bit and it was, at the time, the best of the people carriers with the same engines as the VW's and Audis. The Citroen C8, with apologies to anyone who has one, was the worst, a big woozy armchair of a thing.

And I'll just add, the T5 is easily the best driving van of that type.

Ta, any ideas on cost of putting seats on rails in?

Top Bottom