Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Fubar when you wake up could you please tell me again :rolleyes: the name of the accommodation on the first night?
Planning a reccie ^_^
Also, are we definitely following the gpx route on page one?
Wanna put it in my Garmin in case I get lost/separated ... stopping at the shops, maybe, or taking pictures :whistle:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@Fubar when you wake up could you please tell me again :rolleyes: the name of the accommodation on the first night?
Planning a reccie ^_^
Also, are we definitely following the gpx route on page one?
Wanna put it in my Garmin in case I get lost/separated ... stopping at the shops, maybe, or taking pictures :whistle:

First night's accommodation is in the Callendar Hostel, website here: http://www.callanderhostel.co.uk/

The GPX route looks like it follows the Lochs and Glens route and hits all the right places (Callendar, Pitlochry, Newtonmore, Inverness) - perhaps @Edwardoka could plot each leg over the 4 days? If not I'll have a go once I'm back from leave.

We also need to start thinking about food and possibly booking places if we are eating en masse - bearing in mind Junior Fu is also a veggie...

First night's accommodation is in the Callendar Hostel, website here: http://www.callanderhostel.co.uk/

The GPX route looks like it follows the Lochs and Glens route and hits all the right places (Callendar, Pitlochry, Newtonmore, Inverness) - perhaps @Edwardoka could plot each leg over the 4 days? If not I'll have a go once I'm back from leave.

We also need to start thinking about food and possibly booking places if we are eating en masse - bearing in mind Junior Fu is also a veggie...
No probs. Will redo the ridewithgps routes at some point today.

Did we ever decide whether we were going to do the Glasgow to Drymen leg via Dumbarton/Balloch or via Strathblane?
What about the easties?

I'll look at plotting possible food locations as well.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
No probs. Will redo the ridewithgps routes at some point today.

Did we ever decide whether we were going to do the Glasgow to Drymen leg via Dumbarton/Balloch or via Strathblane?
What about the easties?

I'll look at plotting possible food locations as well.

@Scoosh @DougieAB Junior Fu and I are probably going to meet up in Dunfermline and take a steady ride out to Callendar via Stirling (with maybe a cheeky wee stop at Corrieries ;)), route still to be plotted.

I think @Pat "5mph" and @flyingfifi were planning an early start to build in "fag stops" :laugh:, with @mcshroom @Somebuddy and @bigjim possibly heading off later??

FINALISED ROUTES
If you have any questions or see anything obviously wrong let me know.

Day 1 : http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9626605
Glasgow SECC > Maryhill > Bearsden > Queen's View > Gartness > Aberfoyle > Duke's Pass > Callander
Food options: Glasgow > Bearsden - many, few (if any) between Queen's View and Aberfoyle, many in Aberfoyle, a tea room at Brig o'Turk (other side of the Duke's Pass).

Day 2: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9696346 - Following the NCN7 without significant diversion
Callander > West of Loch Lubnaig > Strathyre > Balquhidder > Glen Ogle Railway viaduct > Killin > South of Loch Tay > Kenmore > Strathtay > Logierait > Pitlochy
Food options: Shops in Strathyre,
nothing guaranteed until Killin, shops (and cake :hungry:) in Killin, nothing until Kenmore. Occasional shops until Logierait, nothing between Logierait and Pitlochry.

Day 3: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9696664 - Following the NCN7 with no diversions
Pitlochry > Killiecrankie > Blair Atholl > Drumochter Pass > Dalwhinnie > Newtonmore
Food options: Fine until Blair Atholl. It is important that you have enough food and water before leaving Blair Atholl as there is a long slog up to Drumochter and literally nowhere to stop for resupply (not even houses). Food stops in Dalwhinnie but it's all downhill from there to Newtonmore.

Day 4: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/9697896 - Some significant diversions from NCN7
Newtonmore > Kingussie > IGNORE NCN7 SIGNS IN KINGUSSIE > B9152 > Aviemore > Bridge under railway rejoins NCN7 > Boat of Garten > Route beside road > Carrbridge > Slochd > Tomatin > Leanach (nr. Culloden Battlefield) > Inshes > Inverness YH
Food options: Plenty until Carrbridge,
not many from there IIRC.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

How is the Clydebank section on option 1 on a busy road? It's all along the canal, I ride it often.
I like option 2, been to the Queen's view only once, it was pissing it down and freezing, would like to ride it again.
Don't like option 4 at all, far too hilly :tongue:

How is the Clydebank section on option 1 on a busy road? It's all along the canal, I ride it often.
I like option 2, been to the Queen's view only once, it was pissing it down and freezing, would like to ride it again.
Don't like option 4 at all, far too hilly :tongue:
Is it? I've always turned left after Clydebank College, gone down Dumbarton Road and joined the canal after the town hall. Does your route go by that absurd boat-chip-shop thing? :blush:

Pat "5mph"

Is it? I've always turned left after Clydebank College, gone down Dumbarton Road and joined the canal after the town hall. Does your route go by that absurd boat-chip-shop thing? :blush:
You turn right after the college, straight on the cyclepath (under a wee tunnel) then past the boat chip shop. Straight along the canal until Dumbarton, then follow the signs to LL.
But it is a wee bit boring, the queen's view route is better.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
This post is a work in progress. I will edit it with new maps and details over the coming days/weeks. The linked routes are also subject to change so don't necessarily load your Garmins yet!

If you have any questions or see anything obviously wrong let me know.

If someone (ahem, @Fubar ) could furnish me with a list of the establishments we're staying at each night that'd be super as I'm too (lazy/busy plotting routes) to parse the many posts about possible options to find what was finally agreed upon :whistle:

Day 1 - FOR THE WEEGIES
As far as I can tell, there are several realistic options for Day 1, as consensus has not yet been reached regarding the best way to get out of Glasgow. I've only mapped the first two because it's 11pm :tired:

Option 1: Glasgow SECC > Dumbarton > Balloch > Drymen > Aberfoyle > Duke's Pass > Callander
Mostly follows NCN7
Mostly off-road or on back roads
Less climbing
Longer, more circuitous
Duke's Pass from Aberfoyle to Callander is on-road because the NCN7 is unsuitable for road bikes here.
Food options: Glasgow > Balloch - many. None between Balloch and Drymen, shops in Drymen, none between Drymen and Aberfoyle, many in Aberfoyle, a tea room at Brig o'Turk (other side of the Duke's Pass)

Option 2: Glasgow SECC > Maryhill > Bearsden > Queen's View > Drymen > Aberfoyle > Duke's Pass > Callander
More direct - CC Ecosse usually takes this route out of the city on Balloch rides.
Mostly on-road between Maryhill and Drymen, then follow NCN7 to Aberfoyle.
More climbing than option 1
Busy road to get out of Bearsden.
Duke's Pass from Aberfoyle to Callander is on-road because the NCN7 is unsuitable for road bikes here.
Food options: Glasgow > Bearsden - many. None between Queen's View and Drymen, then as above

Option 3:
Glasgow SECC > Milngavie > Strathblane > Aberfoyle > Callander
TODO

Option 4: Glasgow SECC > Milngavie > Strathblane > Killearn > Arnprior > Port of Menteith > Callander
TODO

Option 5:
Glasgow SECC > Bishopbriggs > Torrance > Lennoxtown > Crow Road > Fintry > Arnprior > Port of Menteith > Callander
TODO

Day 1 - FOR THE EASTIES: TODO
Darn Teuchters, just get your asses to the SECC and quit making life difficult for everyone :whistle::cry:

Day 2: TODO
Day 3: TODO
Day 4: TODO

TODO?!?

Do you mean... To Do???

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Ok folks, here is the accommodation itinerary:

DAY 1 - CALLENDAR: We are booked into the Callendar Hostel with a 1x8-Bed Dorm for the Gents and 1xFamily Room for the Ladies.
DAY 2 - PITLOCHRY: Booked into Pitlochry Backpackers Hostel, 1x5-Bed Dorm, 1xTwin Room and 1x4-Bed Dorm.
DAY 3 - NEWTONMORE: Newtonmore Hostel and we have the whole hostel available for the Gents with the Ladies utilising the House.
DAY 4 - INVERNESS: SYHA Inverness Hostel, 1x6-Bed Dorm & 1xTwin Room for the Gents, 1x4-Bed Dorm for the Ladies.

We are planning to follow Sustrans Route 7 though as @Edwardoka is the only one (that I know of) that has cycled the route we are relying on his navigational skills. Either that or we follow the signs... :whistle:

For anyone else reading this there is one Ladies place available, PM me for details.

Anything else just ask :okay:

Top Bottom