Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
P.S. I have the official Route 7 Map to bring with me and thought there might be GPX files you could download post-purchase, however that facility doesn't seem to exist.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Unfortunately Sustrans haven't managed that one yet. When I did NCN 8 in March I used Open Cycle Maps (which have the NCN routes marked) on Bikehike to plot the route.

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
I am a programmer, my text editor recognises TODO as a thing that needs to be done. Also it means that I can search for my post that will get edited to bits really easily instead of having to remember what page it's on.

What's your excuse for getting Callander wrong every single time? :whistle::laugh:

TODO... Think you should use that as your Forum name - you can rely that hugely interesting story everytime someone asks you what it means.

Callendar, Callander, Collander - you knew what I meant! And it's not every time... :whistle:

I suggest you study the pipe track out of Drymen on the NCN - not exactly flat... I reckon option 4 would probably be the least hilly way to Callander, if you go along the A811 to Arnprior (but that is not something I would recommend).
I felt that I would be remiss in my duties as Morale Officer if I told anyone that the road out of Drymen crosses the Highland Boundary Fault :whistle:

I suggest you study the pipe track out of Drymen on the NCN - not exactly flat... I reckon option 4 would probably be the least hilly way to Callander, if you go along the A811 to Arnprior (but that is not something I would recommend).
I'd personally be more inclined to skip Drymen entirely and follow the A81 to Aberfoyle which is much flatter and pretty quiet (despite its number suggesting otherwise). Agree that the A811 is not suitable; shame no-one told the Trossachs Ton people :B)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Evening :biggrin:
Instead of @Edwardoka loosing sleep over gpx files,why don't we do like @Fubar said, just follow the NCN route 7?
I know there'll be hills and swamps (while parallel lies a flat, perfectly surface road) but it would be an adventure.
Of course a map is essential, and a wee google forehand, but we can also google on the go.

Evening :biggrin:
Instead of @Edwardoka loosing sleep over gpx files,why don't we do like @Fubar said, just follow the NCN route 7?
I know there'll be hills and swamps (while parallel lies a flat, perfectly surface road) but it would be an adventure.
Of course a map is essential, and a wee google forehand, but we can also google on the go.
I'm not losing sleep over them ^_^
I've always loved looking at maps and plotting routes (was more fun before google maps, though) and NCN7 is really truly terrible in places.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The South section was fine (except a pointless loop up over the hills between Maybole and Ayr instead of going straight down the flat B road :rolleyes:), though I lost the route in Glasgow and just headed for the Station on road.

I've only done bits of the northern section. I wasn't keen on the bit next to Dromochter Pass when I rode it as part of LonJOG in 2012, but it may have changed. That it was chucking it down as we were riding over the top probably didn't help my memories of it either.

Top Bottom