Scotland : The Highlands CC Ecosse Lochs and Glens Tour #CONFIRMED#

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Anybody know what kind of bike needed for this jaunt considering the variety of surfaces and the Scottish weather. I'm stuck between my decent road bike or the tanklike Dawes Galaxy. My routefinder gives me 180 miles overall. Is that correct?
Take the tank, route is about 230 miles - can't get up to check on the map now, cat asleep on lap :smile:
Wait, the Sustrains site says 217.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'll be riding a Dawes tourer. We're not going to be racing! :smile:

Others are bringing more racing-oriented bikes, but if I brought the Carbon bike I'd have to use a rucksack, which is nothing like as comfy as panniers :smile:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Anybody know what kind of bike needed for this jaunt considering the variety of surfaces and the Scottish weather. I'm stuck between my decent road bike or the tanklike Dawes Galaxy. My routefinder gives me 180 miles overall. Is that correct?

@Edwardoka's original route give 205 miles: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5769209

I would err with the Dawes, from what I've read some of the route might not suit a decent road bike well. I'm using my tourer with panniers.

Pace is likely to vary between 2 groups - those that want to fire on to the next stop and those that want to take it steady at the back.

Re: road surface, it is mostly ok.

Certainly doable on a road bike, but I'll be bringing the Triban* with panniers, although a bit unpleasant in places.

As for the route, the one linked to by @Fubar is somewhat accurate (Main difference is that Aberfoyle to Callander will be on-road rather than via Loch Drunkie)
I've been working weird hours so not had a chance to finish my GPXs yet but have planned a few diversions for anyone who fancies doing a bit more climbing or sightseeing.

* Maybe. If I get round to fixing it :whistle:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Re: road surface, it is mostly ok.

Certainly doable on a road bike, but I'll be bringing the Triban* with panniers, although a bit unpleasant in places.

As for the route, the one linked to by @Fubar is somewhat accurate (Main difference is that Aberfoyle to Callander will be on-road rather than via Loch Drunkie)
I've been working weird hours so not had a chance to finish my GPXs yet but have planned a few diversions for anyone who fancies doing a bit more climbing or sightseeing.

* Maybe. If I get round to fixing it :whistle:

I have a vision:

It's Wednesday 12 August... 4:29pm... Edwardoka posts "I have no rear hanger for my Triban and no way of getting to Decathlon so will need to pull out :sad:"... "I can get to Decathlon!" I say... "then drive to the Carse tonight!" I say... "No no" says Ed, "don't put yourself out, I'll just miss out and be miserable :sad:"... "Ok" I say, "sorry man"... Thursday 13 August... it's 10:39pm... we are sitting in Callander hostel, getting ready for bed... Ed rocks in having spent all day preparing his best carbon bike and with a huge rucksack on his back... he's covered Perth to Callander in 45 minutes in the dark... the group rejoice... THE VISION ENDS.

Funny how you get these weird thoughts, isn't it?!?

I have a vision:

It's Wednesday 12 August... 4:29pm... Edwardoka posts "I have no rear hanger for my Triban and no way of getting to Decathlon so will need to pull out :sad:"... "I can get to Decathlon!" I say... "then drive to the Carse tonight!" I say... "No no" says Ed, "don't put yourself out, I'll just miss out and be miserable :sad:"... "Ok" I say, "sorry man"... Thursday 13 August... it's 10:39pm... we are sitting in Callander hostel, getting ready for bed... Ed rocks in having spent all day preparing his best carbon bike and with a huge rucksack on his back... he's covered Perth to Callander in 45 minutes in the dark... the group rejoice... THE VISION ENDS.

Funny how you get these weird thoughts, isn't it?!?
How very dare you!:boxing:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
(Main difference is that Aberfoyle to Callander will be on-road rather than via Loch Drunkie)
I've spent a few hours yesterday over the Sustrains paper map, plus Googling a bit.Why do you want to take the road there? Because Google can't go into the forest path? I quite like a forestry path :smile:
Fiona and I are doing the first leg to Callander on the 3rd of August, will let you know if the stretch is really rough, can't be worse than the canal.
We are doing the reccie because we know we can't keep up with the guys starting from Glasgow, we want to know the way just in case :whistle:
After Callander I know Mark and Scoosh won't abandon us ^_^

I've spent a few hours yesterday over the Sustrains paper map, plus Googling a bit.Why do you want to take the road there? Because Google can't go into the forest path? I quite like a forestry path :smile:

How rude! To suggest that I do all my route planning via Streetview :ohmy:! Apart from Islay every multi-day tour I've ever been on has been without Google Maps!

From what I remember, the path from Aberfoyle to Loch Venachar is a combination of coarse gravel, very steep hills and loose rocks. Last time I went up there I was on a mountain bike and found it tough going. It is far tougher than any canal towpath you have ever ridden... although a quick googling suggests that @Telemark and @HJ have been along it so you can ask them. :okay:

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
How rude! To suggest that I do all my route planning via Streetview :ohmy:! Apart from Islay every multi-day tour I've ever been on has been without Google Maps!

From what I remember, the path from Aberfoyle to Loch Venachar is a combination of coarse gravel, very steep hills and loose rocks. Last time I went up there I was on a mountain bike and found it tough going. It is far tougher than any canal towpath you have ever ridden... although a quick googling suggests that @Telemark and @HJ have been along it so you can ask them. :okay:

You called? :hello:
We did indeed go along NCN7 but in the opposite direction, Callander to Aberfoyle ... which in my mind seemed to be the easier way round, i.e. the downhills steeper than the uphills ... but it could just be my mind playing tricks on me :whistle:. Have a read on the blog, there should be a profile to go with the route map ... hmm just took a peek, my memory DID serve me right :tongue:.

T

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Good @Telemark, exactly what I suspected by looking at Google maps ... a wee bit of walking will be involved :whistle:
Are you reading this @flyingfifi?

I haven't compared the profiles, but I think the Duke's Pass might be the easier option with loaded bikes, tarmac all the way rather than loose gravel in places (it was a few years ago, anyway), and I think it follows the route of least resistance ...
Whichever way you go, it's beautiful :smile:

T

Top Bottom