CC Ecosse Rendezvous ride - Sat 7 Nov 09

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Hey John,

You and Scoosh mentioned some good good hills for me around Fife. Any chance you can give me some coordinates or llinks to maps for one or two. Got this silly idea in my head that once I've done Falkland Hill I want to do all Fife's hard hills. Probably never happen but It's good to see what the possibilities would be.
Sorry of going OT :biggrin:

Seamab

kfinlay said:
Hey John,

You and Scoosh mentioned some good good hills for me around Fife. Any chance you can give me some coordinates or llinks to maps for one or two. Got this silly idea in my head that once I've done Falkland Hill I want to do all Fife's hard hills. Probably never happen but It's good to see what the possibilities would be.
Sorry of going OT :smile:

The minor road from Glenfoot (off A913) to Strathmiglo (A91) is as tough as Fife gets - much easier from the Strathmiglo side. However, if you come up this side you can take a left turn which will join with the A912 turn right onto this then left up the hill to Glenfarg.

Another one (not done this myself) but would fit in with a Falkland ride is the climb up to East Lomond (there's some kind of satellite tower or similar up there). This is a no through road of course.

The Leslie to Falkland road is quite challenging especially from the Falkland side.

There's quite a few hills in the West Fife, Saline, Knock Hill area which are good if not overly challenging. If you need something really steep how about the climb up to Culross Abbey from the shore?

If you want "proper" hard hills then leave the kingdom and head for the Ochils round Dunning and Glenfarg for a stiff challenge.

BTW, i can confirm that the Milk Bar at Powmill is open.

Dov2711

Thanks for posting the link very interesting stuff though disheartening to see what I thought were fairly challenging hills rated so low-Falkland from both sides especially.

Still onwards and to finish the cliche upwards.

Im sure my newly fitted compact will make all the difference....no hold on a minute I still have the same whingeing legs...:smile:

If Falkland is the next meeting spot on a Sunday or early Saturday my wife and I will also hear along if thats ok?

Mange-tout

Seamab said:
If you want "proper" hard hills then leave the kingdom and head for the Ochils round Dunning and Glenfarg for a stiff challenge.

I can vouch for the "properness" of the hills out of Dunning - had to walk, and have a rest on the walk :wacko:! The views are pretty good when you're resting though ;).

OP
OP
ACS

ACS

Legendary Member
"I've never met a hill I cannot walk up."

Unknown sage on my first, not very hilly, Audax.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
satans budgie said:

Great info there John, looks like it's the north side of Falkland first then by the new year out towards Dunning. :biggrin: Would love to go across to Applecross on the west coast - I know theres a lot of great driving roads out there but want to cycle those 2 big hills listed about 9Km each :?:
Didn't get on too well with comfort on Thursday :sad: but got a new Charge Spoon saddle and it was much better on a short test ride on Friday. Got a 35-40 miler planned for tomorrow so I'm really hoping it works out as comfort is the biggest thing from stopping me doing bigger miles :ohmy:
Take it easy guys and keep those pedals turning :sad:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Bit gutted that the hill I did today isn't on there: Logie Kirk up to Sherrifmuir, I read on the interweb that the lower part is a 1:4 hill (25%). It certainly felt like it!

Seamab

AMcD said:
That's great info Satan's Budgie - the Dunning route is only 5.4% - I thought it was at least 25% :sad:.

The average gradient, like many stats tells little of the real story.

Of the 3 Dunning climbs listed "boghall hill" is by far the hardest and does indeed have a very nasty 20% section. "Common of Dunning" is one of my favourite climbs, it is long and steady and quite do-able on the fixie or s/s unlike "boghall" (it's usually referred to as "dragon hill"). The "common of dunning" from the Yetts side is but a pimple but a great steady climb. Strange that there is no mention of Path of Condie to Stronachie? Or the Wall of Talla - hardly a complete list.

The climb i suggested earlier known here as "abernethy glen" shows a higher avg gradient than "boghall" but isn't frankly in the same league.

I did the Glen Quaich climbs from both sides last year and can vouch for their difficulty especially from Kenmore. It's similar in many ways to the Green Lowther climb from Wanlockhead which doesn't feature on this list.

East Lomond at the top! I'll need to try it out sometime. I'll bet Castle Campbell in Dollar (unlisted) would give it a run for its money.

Seamab

eldudino said:
Bit gutted that the hill I did today isn't on there: Logie Kirk up to Sherrifmuir, I read on the interweb that the lower part is a 1:4 hill (25%). It certainly felt like it!

Another surprising omission.

Try it from the Bridge of Allan side Eldudino - it's harder (believe it or not!) but a better road surface than from Logie Kirk.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Seamab said:
Another surprising omission.

Try it from the Bridge of Allan side Eldudino - it's harder (believe it or not!) but a better road surface than from Logie Kirk.

Did it from Dunblane the other week, it's a long drag up to the Sherriffmuir inn. Went down into BoA, I agree it's a LONG drag up there, the hill out past Drumbrae Stables is pretty brutal too, you think it ends then you get into the woods and it starts going up again!

Planning on doing Logie Kirk every 6 weeks as a gauge of winter fitness!

Seamab

The last time i went up from Logie Kirk i got a lot of wheelspin at the steepest bit due to the poor road surface.
The best way up is just as you come into BoA from Stirling just after the main Stirling Uni entrance (first rt after the roundabout signed "Sheriffmuir"). It's a much better road surface. The Logie Kirk rd joins this road. It certainly is a tester - probably a Vo2 Max workout (to use the jargon):sad:

Once you've got to the car park (viewpoint) you think (pray) it's all over but it keeps going until after the Inn - albeit not so steeply. Probably about 3 miles all in.

From the Dunblane side it is relatively easy but still a long drag.

I'm not familiar with the Drumbrae Stables - where is that?

Top Bottom