Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians CC Ecosse ride and/or RV ride - 9 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hmmm ... that's 9 definites for food (suppose we need to include @HJ even if he may end up "going" straight to the RV :whistle:), and three possibles ... so there should be enough chairs/other assorted perches, phew. :biggrin: Any surprise additions will have to sit on somebody's knee :laugh:...

Huge pot of soup cooked, 2 lots of cake baked, third lot proofing to go into the oven shortly ... :wahhey:now pondering whether that's enough ...
You lot better bring a good appetite!

T

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Right, that's the end of the baking frenzy :heat:... wafting some smells across the internet :tongue: ...
Sleep tight & safe travels to the Commie in the morning, everybody!

T :tired:

Maybe?
@Harry_Palmer79 ... did you mention cycling from Anniesland for the RV only?

T
Yep, I've mapped out a route and loaded it onto the Garmin*. It works out at 52.6 miles, so I thought if I left about 10.00 I would have plenty time to get to Embra for about 1.30-45 or so, allowing for the odd stop to take on jelly babies (though knowing me I'll probably leave a bit earlier just to be sure and arrive far too early). Alternatively, I could leave at about 06.45 and meet you all at the pool... Hmmm, maybe next time! :whistle: ^_^

*I've double checked it doesn't take me through any fields like the last route I mapped on garminconnect!

ShooglyDougie

Veteran
Hi guys, just passing on a big thank you for all your messages of GWS from Michelle, 17 hours sleep and her temperature is almost normal, baby has good heartbeat and is kicking again. Have been told she will still feel rough for a couple of days, but is all good otherwise.

Hope you all have a great ride, you got an amazing day for it and I'll hopefully see you on the next one.

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi guys, just passing on a big thank you for all your messages of GWS from Michelle, 17 hours sleep and her temperature is almost normal, baby has good heartbeat and is kicking again. Have been told she will still feel rough for a couple of days, but is all good otherwise.

Hope you all have a great ride, you got an amazing day for it and I'll hopefully see you on the next one.

Phew, that's great news! All the best for a swift recovery ...

T

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
That's everybody on their way home, they left well over an hour ago ...
Eight of us meeting up at the Commie Pool, and departed only about 3/4 of an hour late, @Col5632 had a puncture en route, and @mr messy had an unfortunate meeting with a rather hefty shower resulting in him being delayed for a bit and rather well chilled :cold:, but it's for for them to tell their tales ;) (will we get stories a la @Pat "5mph" ? :bravo:)
On the way out of town, there were a few welcome hills (yes!), to help us all warm up a wee bit. At Bonnyrigg we somehow got split up (probably my fault for not checking whether everybody was still together - they were all there a minute earlier when I looked behind, honest :blush:). Luckily modern technology allowed us to make contact again and @DougieAB's local knowledge got us all together again. Then we finally reached the wee quiet roads through the fields and woods (I think @Rasmus took some photos), with the autumn colours in full swing and great light, with golden sunlight interspersed with rather dark clouds threatening, as they rolled over the Pentland Hills with dense shower curtains attached ... We got to the reservoir a wee bit later than anticipated, looking forward to the long downhill (the highest point is ~290m ASL), but also wary of the moving shower curtains. It was starting to spit and we stopped briefly to don waterproofs, but it didn't come to much - there were plenty of wet roads and big puddles everywhere as evidence of what had come through ahead of us...
Back at Carrington, it was decision time - would we tackle the Poltonmill climb, or Roslin Glen? As it was getting late and some brave souls were planning to cycle back home after the foodstop, we decided to go the fastest way, which involved crossing the North Esk by a big bridge (via Dobbie's garden centre from Bonnyrigg, capably led by @DougieAB, whose backyard is nearby :thumbsup:). @Rasmus was rather disappointed to miss out on the fabled climb :sad:, but we promised to take him there in the spring ... any excuse for another social ride ;).
By the time we crossed back north over the bypass, the sun had come out and it was quite warm :sun: ... . From there it was just down and up one more hill, and we were soon at the RV, where @HJ had kindly heated up the big pot of soup, and @Harry_Palmer79 was waiting, having only arrived about 10 minutes earlier, all the way from Anniesland :bravo:, having had a wee encounter with the Edinburgh tram tracks on the way :B) (no serious damage, is that right?). The tea pots & soup plates were soon filled, and the blether started to flow as everybody was defrosting. A sudden complete silence descended as people were tucking into the cakes, which was quite funny ...
We nearly poisoned @mr messy by providing proper coffee rather than half a spoon of instant coffee :eek: :biggrin:.
Somehow 9 slightly damp cyclists and their wet bikes managed to steam up every single window in the flat, but that was quickly resolved, and the dishwasher is removing the last evidence of their presence ... apart from the wee bit of leftover soup & cake. :tongue:

Given the temperatures, it's probably time to give in and go for straight RV rides for the next wee while, rather than social rides :cry: ... so the question is, where shall we all meet again? (apart from the Christmas meal in four weeks' time) ...

Thanks for a great ride, with the usual banter, any bike did do, there was cake, and nobody got left behind (apart from the wee accidental parting of company with @Scoosh , @Col5632 and @mr messy :blush:)

T

Last edited:

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Thanks all for the fine day out and a very big thank you to Telemark and her other half for the soup and cake, it was all very yummy. I have an idea for a ride next year (pinched from CityCyclingEdinburgh) for a ride that starts with Chrighton castle which is out my way and then heads into East Lothian and back along the coast and visits another five castles long the way. Sleep well and dream of summer cycling.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Great day...Great food

todays ride

http://www.strava.com/activities/94103511

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Despite the not terribly cooperative weather, I still had a good day out in an area I have never visited before. Massive thanks to Telemark and HJ for letting us into their home to warm up and consume lots and lots of delicious home cooking.

Here's a pic of some well wrapped up CC'ers near the highest point of the route:

20131109_125120.jpg

I'd love to go back for another CC ride in this area - and not just because of the hill we missed...

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Thanks all for the fine day out and a very big thank you to Telemark and her other half for the soup and cake, it was all very yummy. I have an idea for a ride next year (pinched from CityCyclingEdinburgh) for a ride that starts with Chrighton castle which is out my way and then heads into East Lothian and back along the coast and visits another five castles long the way. Sleep well and dream of summer cycling.
:hyper: do you have a route map? I like to do my dreaming in front of maps :blush:

T

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Despite the not terribly cooperative weather, I still had a good day out in an area I have never visited before. Massive thanks to Telemark and HJ for letting us into their home to warm up and consume lots and lots of delicious home cooking.
I'd love to go back for another CC ride in this area - and not just because of the hill we missed...

:thanks:a pleasure, I like baking, and it's great to have an bunch of helpers for the eating part :thumbsup:, we'd have to eat the same old stale cake for days by ourselves otherwise ...

Glad you liked the area, there are some great rides to be had in Mid/East Lothian, and crossing over into the Borders ... we'll sort out a few next year between us Easties, looks like @DougieAB has already started with the planning :wahhey:, and there are all the hidden 'reverse hills' crossing the North Esk to be done, as a "Rasmus special" ...:evil:

T

P.S. Your phone camera lens seems to distort around the edges ... Dougie's and my svelte physiques seem to look rather wide :rofl:

Last edited:

Fubar

Guru
Well the Dunfermline contingent made it home safe and sound, @Col5632 did really well despite suffering from cramp most of the day. @Telemark and @HJ really did us proud with a much welcomed spread at theirs, filling our stomachs and thawing our hands. I think that might be the coldest I've been on a bike! Also thanks to @Scoosh for seeing us safely through town and pressing on regardless ;)

Another grand CC Ecosse day out!

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Well the Dunfermline contingent made it home safe and sound, @Col5632 did really well despite suffering from cramp most of the day. @Telemark and @HJ really did us proud with a much welcomed spread at theirs, filling our stomachs and thawing our hands. I think that might be the coldest I've been on a bike! Also thanks to @Scoosh for seeing us safely through town and pressing on regardless ;)

Another grand CC Ecosse day out!
Cold..Cold...fecking Cold...trying cycling the tour o the borders 2012:whistle:

Top Bottom