Scotland : Edinburgh & Lothians CC Ecosse ride and/or RV ride - 9 November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Think you tagged the wrong person ;) Nobody told me the route would be so hilly :cycle:
Me neither - and I've ridden it once before .... :blush:
mostly flat, some lumps, no real hills;
My point is that you kept at it, rode the whole way and didn't quit. :bravo:

Bonkers, that :crazy: .....

:laugh:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
My - and the experience of seasoned audaxers - is that your mind will give up before your legs will.

As long as you have that "I hate/ don't/ won't giving/e up" mind-set :angry:, you will make it. When I packed on the Snow Roads (out of time half way through, last on the road etc) after my head told me I wasn't going to make it, my legs kept going for another 10 mins, until I came to an 'upwardly-inclined piece of road' (only 10% :sad:), then the legs agreed with the mind and that was it. xx(

How I got back to Kirrie is a tale for another time .... :smile: (it gets better and better with more ... 'lubrication' :cheers: ;))

glasgowjim

Über Member
My - and the experience of seasoned audaxers - is that your mind will give up before your legs will.

As long as you have that "I hate/ don't/ won't giving/e up" mind-set :angry:, you will make it. When I packed on the Snow Roads (out of time half way through, last on the road etc) after my head told me I wasn't going to make it, my legs kept going for another 10 mins, until I came to an 'upwardly-inclined piece of road' (only 10% :sad:), then the legs agreed with the mind and that was it. xx(

How I got back to Kirrie is a tale for another time .... :smile: (it gets better and better with more ... 'lubrication' :cheers: ;))

Sometimes both go together for me, as the past season shows.

glasgowjim

Über Member
:hello:Hi Jim, where've you been hiding? Good to see you back on CC, will you join us for the next RV ride?

T
Hi T,

Yes i still lurk on here now and then. I had planned on attending the most recent CC Ecosse meet but life got in the way again. I moved into a new house a few months back and it has seriously curtailed my cycling activity. I've been doing the odd Audax here and there but nothing in the last few months to speak of and i've only managed a measly 7000 or so miles this year :sad: which is poor for me. I'll do my utmost to attend the next event though, as it would be good to catch up with old friends and get back on the bike. Say hi to HJ for me :hello:

OP
OP
Telemark

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Hi @glasgowjim - @HJ says hi back! Looking forward to seeing you some time soon then :wahhey:, your 7000 miles makes my 5400k look quite measly :rofl: Hope the new house is fun, too, assume you are doing lots of DIY?

T

It goes without saying that I'm not an experienced audaxer, but as @Gee_Dee can attest to, many of my more "interesting" misadventures have come around as a direct result of the opposite, combined with an insufficient bailout option. My mind says "KEEP GOING IT'LL BE FINE" then either my legs or my metabolism suddenly go "NOPE!" and I'm usually miles from anywhere when this happens :blush:

From a purely motivational point of view, once your head goes down, if you have an easy way out, it's game over, regardless of how much physical strength you have left. I get round this by not leaving myself easy ways out. :rolleyes:

This is probably why I've encountered so many unpleasant demotivated slogs in my time, and it means that my epitaph will probably be "he died how he lived, by being bloody stupid, stubborn, and ill-prepared"

Fubar

Guru
It goes without saying that I'm not an experienced audaxer, but as @Gee_Dee can attest to, many of my more "interesting" misadventures have come around as a direct result of the opposite, combined with an insufficient bailout option. My mind says "KEEP GOING IT'LL BE FINE" then either my legs or my metabolism suddenly go "NOPE!" and I'm usually miles from anywhere when this happens :blush:

From a purely motivational point of view, once your head goes down, if you have an easy way out, it's game over, regardless of how much physical strength you have left. I get round this by not leaving myself easy ways out. :rolleyes:

This is probably why I've encountered so many unpleasant demotivated slogs in my time, and it means that my epitaph will probably be "he died how he lived, by being bloody stupid, stubborn, and ill-prepared"

And My God he was a miserable git too....

Scoosh

Velocouchiste

"He was a real hard man. Nuts :wacko: but hard. We respected his riding - but he was nuts, wasn't he ?"

Top Bottom