Next RV

• Falkland (Pillars of something cafe)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Stirling (Corrieries ?)

• Linlithgow (? any suggestions?)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
Tele, the fog here in Fife, is absolutely dreadful, I am still going along, but for this time and this time only, may drive ( just maybe to Inverkeithing or just over the FRB) and cycle the rest of the way. No point in putting myself in danger, just so I can say " I did it" I have lights on my bike, but they are not strong enough for this fog, I can't even see to the end of my garden ( and my garden is not that big )

The roads are very icy too :sad:

Ooops yes, I must change my signature:biggrin:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Jane Smart said:
Tele, the fog here in Fife, is absolutely dreadful, I am still going along, but for this time and this time only, may drive ( just maybe to Inverkeithing or just over the FRB) and cycle the rest of the way. No point in putting myself in danger, just so I can say " I did it" I have lights on my bike, but they are not strong enough for this fog, I can't even see to the end of my garden ( and my garden is not that big )

The roads are very icy too :sad:

Ooops yes, I must change my signature:biggrin:

:biggrin: no fog here, and the temperature has just turned positive an hour or so ago ... agree it's better to be careful with ice fog etc ... I won't be setting any speed records :sad:.

You might find that the fog is gone once you have crossed the FRB, fingers crossed!

As Scoosh said somewhere on this thread, the car park at Dalmeny station is very convenient and you are more of less on the quiet roads from there ... take care!

T

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
lazyfatgit said:
Have fun guys.

Jane, i'm home in 3 weeks and you're painting rather a bleak picture:sad:

It is ok it was a beautiful sunny day, shorts and short sleeves, no sign of gloves or skull caps and over shoes anywhere ( where is the lie smillie :biggrin: )

See you on the next ride out then :evil:

Honestman, sorry you are not feeling good, get well soon.

Thanks to everyone that came along, I had a lovely cycle there and back even on busy main roads ( well for me they were busy :sad: ) busses and lorries etc.,

Really looking forward to the next one.

Thanks to "Scooshy" :sad: for booking it, well thought out our man :evil:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
A report of sorts ...

It was reasonably bright when we set off from Edinburgh this morning, a sort of hazy sunshine, but we knew from Jane's earlier post here that we might hit the fog at some point. The temperature had only just climbed to +0.9C but it seemed quite pleasant with a complete lack of wind, until we got some speed up ... my hands were rather cold for the first half of the ride both ways, so may need to investigate even better gloves :cold::smile:.

We could see the fog out over the Forth when we got to Silverknowes, and then dived into it soon after... quite surreal to have a very limited field of vision on roads where you normally get very good views. We spotted a buzzard on a chimney and a flock of geese in a field, and then it started closing in properly. My glasses caught the fog droplets very effectively, and I had to stop several times to wipe them clear :rolleyes:.

A roadie came past us at some point and commented how fantastic our lights were (Di Notte :thumbsup:), I was quite glad of them as drivers really can't miss those! There were also puddles with ice and in one place a slushy patch on the road ...

We ambled past Niddry Castle and between the bings which were all invisible today, and along wee roads with hardly any traffic, climbing gradually and barely noticeably. This meant that there was a long descent down to Kingscavil, which HJ enjoyed more than I did (testing brakes a few times just to keep the speed down :blush: as it was rather wet and quite steep in places). This would be good fun on a clear & dry day, as it's more or less straight and you could get a good speed up...
Scoosh later said that he met a guy who goes up that hill 5 times in a row for training purposes :ohmy:.

Soon after we met up with the CC Ecossers at the Park Bistro :tongue: near Linlithgow, where we had converged from all over central Scotland, 3 from Edinburgh (Scoosh, HJ & I), 2 from Glasgow (Bhoyjim & JiMBR - welcome Jim#2 :sad:), 1 each from Fife (Jane wearing her brandnew CC jersey) & Stirling (Scook), for our 2nd rendezvous ride of the year.

The great thing about these rides for the colder seasons is that the whippets don't have to hang around & get cold while waiting for the slower riders (me) to catch up, and you can combine cycling/trains etc. to keep within your abilities. Food & cycle-chatting was excellent as usual.

On the way back, Jane, HJ and I teamed up and rode together as far as Winchburgh, where we parted company :wacko:. The fog never lifted, and the temperature at Edinburgh never went above 2.3C, it was my furthest ride in what most sane people would call not-so-nice conditions for cycling :thumbsup:.

The pot of tea back home was just what we needed :biggrin:.

T

scook94

Veteran
Made it home safe and sound even though the fog was getting thicker and thicker, was sending praises to the great lord of lighting that is Dinotte! Got home in time to see the second half of the rugby but fell asleep before it ended!!

An excellent choice of venue, lunch was delicious.

I look forward to seeing where Jane decides to hold the next one! :sad:

JiMBR

Thanks to all for a great time...it was good to put names to faces (though I don't remember many 'real' names, apart from the easy ones) :tongue:

The food and company were excellent.

Special thanks to bhoyjim....one of us knew where we were going and it wasn't me.
(hope I didn't slow you down too much m8) :sad:

OP
OP
Jane Smart

Jane Smart

The Queen
Telemark an excellent write up of your ride out today.

Did you get home in time for the rugby? I hope so :cold: Oh you are so lucky seeing those geese in the field, I would love to have seen them. I have only been lucky enough once to see that, but maybe now I started cycling ( I said to one friend "now I am a cyclist" but my husband laughed at me, so I no longer say that ) I may see some.

Once again, great to see old friends and new.

Jim, you did speak to me :sad: ( how much am I due you to keep quiet? :tongue: )

See you all soon.

From a very foggy Dunfermline

Jane :wacko:

JiMBR

Jane Smart said:
Jim, you did speak to me :sad: ( how much am I due you to keep quiet? :wacko: )

Yes...I thought it would be rude not to. :cold:

and don't worry....I will keep your little secret to myself. :tongue:

Mange-tout

Jane Smart said:
:smile: Oh you are so lucky seeing those geese in the field, I would love to have seen them. I have only been lucky enough once to see that............
Jane :tongue:

Hi Jane, there were plenty of geese at Vane Farm today - more than I've ever seen. The fog was terrible heading out of Dunfermline until I got half way to Kinross - needless to say I wasn't on the bike today! I was jealous of you out on your bike but the views from the cafe today, and the geese were great :sad:.

I think you'd have to slow your cycling down a bit to see the wildlife :sad:. My excuse for going so slow is I'm always on the lookout for injured creatures to rescue :sad:. Did I mention I once rescued a dehydrated lamb and gave it the last of my water :smile:. I'm sure I have!

Sounds like it was another good day and I'll make sure I get the day off for the next RV.

MrRidley

Jane Smart said:
It is ok it was a beautiful sunny day, shorts and short sleeves, no sign of gloves or skull caps and over shoes anywhere ( where is the lie smillie :sad: )

See you on the next ride out then :sad:

Honestman, sorry you are not feeling good, get well soon.

Thanks to everyone that came along, I had a lovely cycle there and back even on busy main roads ( well for me they were busy :sad: ) busses and lorries etc.,

Really looking forward to the next one.

Thanks to "Scooshy" :smile: for booking it, well thought out our man :smile:

Yes another great CC Ecosse meet, it was good to put new names to old faces...oops, that should be old names to new faces :tongue: here's to the next one.

MrRidley

JiMBR said:
Thanks to all for a great time...it was good to put names to faces (though I don't remember many 'real' names, apart from the easy ones) :smile:

The food and company were excellent.

Special thanks to bhoyjim....one of us knew where we were going and it wasn't me.
(hope I didn't slow you down too much m8) :sad:

No you did'nt, it was a good run though, i think i've just about thawed out now.

Top Bottom