CC Ecosse (West) RV Ride 20th/21st Feb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

viniga

Guru
Hey! nice to meet you Coco. Good cakes indeed, worth the short wait!

Glad you guys found your way home!

It really was a lovely day, though cold the scenery was great. Hope to see some more of the CC'ers next time.

Viniga

viniga

Guru
Seamab said:
That's a good summary Coco.
It turned out to be a glorious day and we met up with Viniga who had descended from the Eaglesham moors with more layers than a onion on his commuting hub gear ice conquering bike complete with studded tyres. Any chance you can post a link to those tyres Viniga? He'll be flying once the weather comes for the light as a feather good bike.

The ice tyres subject was done to death a while back in the commuting forum. Here is a link to a good summary of what's out there:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Just noticed that Peter says you can't get tyres that fit (modern) racing frame - have a look tho and see, he has measurements.

Here's a link to a recent thread too:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1061832

Viniga

Seamab

viniga said:
The ice tyres subject was done to death a while back in the commuting forum. Here is a link to a good summary of what's out there:

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/studdedtires.asp

Just noticed that Peter says you can't get tyres that fit (modern) racing frame - have a look tho and see, he has measurements.

Here's a link to a recent thread too:

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=1061832

Viniga

Thanks, i'll have a look at that. Not being a commuter i never venture into the murky depths of that particular forum.

My s/s has quite wide clearance as it's not a race frame (On One Pompino) so i can fit wider tyres.

zizou

Veteran
wish i'd read this thread before now. was in much the same area on saturday (cycle track down to gourock then road down to largs then back via dalry got on the cycle track again at kilbirnie then passed loch winnoch)

i think i know the 25% hill it can be bit of a work, there are some ok climbs in the area (the one coming out of largs on the road to dalry is fun, has a couple of switchbacks) there is even a 40% hill on the cycle path around about port glasgow area, that is short though.

jann71

Veteran
I couldn't make it as we were meeting at 12 to get to Hamilton. by the time it got called off as the pitch was frozen it was too late to get to Lochwinnoch. Maybe next time!

Think I know the hill you mean, its very close to the farm with the horses.

This is one of my routes from a different direction which takes in part of the same route.

mt27s.jpg

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

zizou said:
i think i know the 25% hill it can be bit of a work, there are some ok climbs in the area (the one coming out of largs on the road to dalry is fun, has a couple of switchbacks)
Is that the road across Fairlie moor? I fly there and we often see cyclists. Must try it sometime.

zizou said:
there is even a 40% hill on the cycle path around about port glasgow area, that is short though.
I think I've been on that one. It was covered with leaves and I couldn't stop on the way down. Decided to turn back at that point:eek:

OP
OP
Coco

Coco

jann71 said:
Think I know the hill you mean, its very close to the farm with the horses.

Thats the one!

scook94

Veteran
zizou said:
wish i'd read this thread before now. was in much the same area on saturday (cycle track down to gourock then road down to largs then back via dalry got on the cycle track again at kilbirnie then passed loch winnoch)

i think i know the 25% hill it can be bit of a work, there are some ok climbs in the area (the one coming out of largs on the road to dalry is fun, has a couple of switchbacks) there is even a 40% hill on the cycle path around about port glasgow area, that is short though.

Haylie Brae? I look forward to the day I can cycle up that one! I've come down it and it scared the bejesus out of me!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
magnatom said:
Come on folks! Where are the east coasters (and the middlies and the rest of the west coasters)? Your not scared of us are you?

No, just out of the country...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
viniga said:
Hey! nice to meet you Coco. Good cakes indeed, worth the short wait!

Glad you guys found your way home!

It really was a lovely day, though cold the scenery was great. Hope to see some more of the CC'ers next time.

Viniga

But why is in °F? What is 46.7 °F in real SI units?

Top Bottom