England : Lancashire ColinJ's 103 km or 107 mile 'Back from the Dead' forum ride Sat 29/03/14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Hehe Colinj's stubby fingers will be setting the keyboard on fire trying to keep updating the attendance list...:smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I would say yes, but I know I am simply not capable of managing 100miles... I'm too slow and would never reach the end.... :sad:

I feel much the same about this ride . . . . . . . but I'm still very tempted. I'm not sure that I can manage a 100 either; a particular problem, is that those who can easily manage a 100, are much fitter and faster than me.

Please put my name down on the 'provisional' list, be nice to see Colin and some of the guys who did the ride from Settle, a few years back. To a man, they were all fitter and faster than me, but I still liked them :smile:. I really enjoyed it - a good pub stop (and a Guinness), helped numb the pain :smile: . Perhaps @colly and @evilclive might be persuaded to turn out ?

Last year I didnt think I could do a hundred miles. I went on a night ride with @middleagecyclist just over a year ago and struggled big time. In the end my chain snapped after about 80 miles and I was actually pleased to not have to carry on! So I just put miles in and in May last year I completed my first 100 mile ride up to Blackpool and back. Since then I have done 10 more including a double century from London velodrome to Manchester velodrome in a day. Most cycling is in the head, if you think you can do it, you will.

Last year I didnt think I could do a hundred miles. I went on a night ride with @middleagecyclist just over a year ago and struggled big time. In the end my chain snapped after about 80 miles and I was actually pleased to not have to carry on! So I just put miles in and in May last year I completed my first 100 mile ride up to Blackpool and back. Since then I have done 10 more including a double century from London velodrome to Manchester velodrome in a day. Most cycling is in the head, if you think you can do it, you will.
I wish that was true. However, like @ColinJ, I have a number of serious medical conditions and these prevent me from managing such large distances including not being able to balance potassium & sodium in my blood stream, or get enough energy from what I eat (both due to seriously low cortisol levels) I'm also a severe asthmatic. On a really good day, I can just about manage 75 mile at my pace which is not that fast at 12-14mph... (last Easter being an example of this). I have once managed 90 miles (starting at 10am and finishing at 4am the next day) and whilst it was an amazing day and experience (reaching North Cape at the top of Norway to see the midnight sun at midnight), I know I had 7,000km of cycling a fully laden touring bike behind me that day and no dog bite injury to deal with... now it is another matter... At the moment 50 miles is a good day's riding for me and I am afraid that will take me most of the day! The 50 milers I did over Christmas were at a 11-12mph pace. I don't think anyone will want to babysit me for long at that pace!

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I wish that was true. However, like @ColinJ, I have a number of serious medical conditions and these prevent me from managing such large distances including not being able to balance potassium & sodium in my blood stream, or get enough energy from what I eat (both due to seriously low cortisol levels) I'm also a severe asthmatic. On a really good day, I can just about manage 75 mile at my pace which is not that fast at 12-14mph... (last Easter being an example of this). I have once managed 90 miles (starting at 10am and finishing at 4am the next day) and whilst it was an amazing day and experience (reaching North Cape at the top of Norway to see the midnight sun at midnight), I know I had 7,000km of cycling a fully laden touring bike behind me that day and no dog bite injury to deal with... now it is another matter... At the moment 50 miles is a good day's riding for me and I am afraid that will take me most of the day! The 50 milers I did over Christmas were at a 11-12mph pace. I don't think anyone will want to babysit me for long at that pace!
Just ask @potsy his average mph on his 1st hundred miler was....we never leave anyone behind, I've never been left behind (well only if I've been capable and feeling guilty at being slow) so I believe in the same....what goes around and all that.

I would say yes, but I know I am simply not capable of managing 100miles... I'm too slow and would never reach the end.... :sad:
I did my first 100 about 19 months ago and organised a 100 mile night ride in November 2012 as part of my prep for LEL. I completed LEL this summer with a few hours spare, averaging 180 miles per day for 5 days. Distance cycling is almost all mental. If you can do 50 miles you can do 100. It's just two 50s with a short break in between.

I did my first 100 about 19 months ago and organised a 100 mile night ride in November 2012 as part of my prep for LEL. I completed LEL this summer with a few hours spare, averaging 180 miles per day for 5 days. Distance cycling is almost all mental. If you can do 50 miles you can do 100. It's just two 50s with a short break in between.
problem is that my body can't recover in the same time span as everyone elses... look up Addison's disease. I take much longer to heal and repair. However, if no-one minds babysitting me I currently have 2 GPS's that can have routes loaded onto them and could even bully my OH into coming along... (I recently had a birthday and got a Garmin Edge 500 to upgrade from the Edge 200 I previously had...)

problem is that my body can't recover in the same time span as everyone elses... look up Addison's disease. I take much longer to heal and repair. However, if no-one minds babysitting me I currently have 2 GPS's that can have routes loaded onto them and could even bully my OH into coming along... (I recently had a birthday and got a Garmin Edge 500 to upgrade from the Edge 200 I previously had...)
Fair enough. How far is a normal cycling day for you though? Can you repeat the distance the next day or do you need to rest? Have you ever had a crisis due to cycling? I appreciate your medical circumstances can limit you but don't let the distance itself put you off. Taken at a nice pace with some stops and plenty of hydration/nutrition you might surprise yourself.

Top Bottom