Cragg Vale Loop Sunday 21st

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aJohnson

I'm iffy if it's icy. I should be out though.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
Ta Colin, I've been looking at a map and it looks like you can also get down New Lane to the Robin Hood Inn from the brewery - closed at weekends. It'll be too risky to think about that on sunday, but can you get up or down that way in more suitable weather?

How do people feel about the ride if it's icy, as it looks like it will be? I'd still go, just do it carefully.
No siree! It's another one of those things that gets programmed into Sat-Navs as a road but it's only an old farm-track.

Here it is on Google Maps - toggle between map view and satellite view and you'll see what I mean.

Hmm, interestingly, Google Maps has also got the wrong location for the Robin Hood. It is shown as being back from the main road but what is shown is just a cottage or farm house. The pub is on the road.

Don't do my lanes loop at the weekend because it is almost certain to be icy round there and there are steep descents to crash on! If you do go to the brewery then just turn round afterwards and go back to the farmhouse with the kennels and continue up to Blackstone Edge.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Don't do my lanes loop at the weekend because it is almost certain to be icy round there and there are steep descents to crash on!

Good advice, we can save those lanes for another time.

I noticed the pub was in the wrong place and can now see that it is a track down to it. Is there still a right of way along it though? Just out of interest. I haven't got an OS map here to check.

ColinJ

longers said:
Good advice, we can save those lanes for another time.

I noticed the pub was in the wrong place and can now see that it is a track down to it. Is there still a right of way along it though? Just out of interest. I haven't got an OS map here to check.
Oh yes you have!

As you can see - it's a footpath. Actually, that is one area that I haven't walked round here. There is a mini-bus that goes up to Cragg Vale from HB so I might buy a return ticket to CV and go for a stroll over those hills when the weather is better. There are quite a few bridleways up there too but they are not tremendously exciting as alternatives to the lanes.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
just checked weather forecast for sunday. heavy snow rossendale and heptonstall. freezing temps. sorry guys i'm out. i'm not willing to take the brompton up there in wintery weather and i didn't enjoy riding the mtb slicked out. i'll do that route when the weather is safer. probably go playing on the mtb instead. have good one

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
dan_bo said:
I'll be playing it by ear. This winter malarkey is WELL overrated.

bromptons are twitchy as per normal. chuck in a greasy, icy, snowy road and it's much worse than a full sized wheel. i think it's because of of the high pressure small wheel thing. and don't get me started on the brakes, the rims freeze up for fun. shame really. i don't go on the roads up there in winter on my own. too dodgy and quite a few places with no mobile signal. on the trails yeah as my mtb is more than capable and the speeds are lower.

ColinJ

bromptonfb said:
just checked weather forecast for sunday. heavy snow rossendale and heptonstall. freezing temps. sorry guys i'm out. i'm not willing to take the brompton up there in wintery weather and i didn't enjoy riding the mtb slicked out. i'll do that route when the weather is safer. probably go playing on the mtb instead. have good one
You must be looking at a different forecast than the two I've looked at (Met Office and BBC)!

It's sunny here today and the forecast has actually improved for both the mini-NWP tomorrow and the Cragg Vale ride on Sunday. I think wintry conditions are forecast for later on Sunday but you might well be okay for the ride.

Why not get up in good time on Sunday and make your mind up at the last minute? You could always arrange to meet the others en route but tell them not to wait if you don't turn up.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
ColinJ said:
You must be looking at a different forecast than the two I've looked at (Met Office and BBC)!

It's sunny here today and the forecast has actually improved for both the mini-NWP tomorrow and the Cragg Vale ride on Sunday. I think wintry conditions are forecast for later on Sunday but you might well be okay for the ride.

Why not get up in good time on Sunday and make your mind up at the last minute? You could always arrange to meet the others en route but tell them not to wait if you don't turn up.

Make your mind up will ya!

aJohnson

Weather today seems good, hopefully it'll stay like this. Got my new long sleeve jersey today, I dare not wear it on sunday in case I fall and rip it.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
it's not just your area i have to worry about. i have to get home as well. we already have approx 3 inch of lying snow which has frozen solid. i got the info from the bbc website and typed in the areas. plus i have just watched the weather forecast on bbc news and sky news, both predicted heavy snow for our area. sorry. but i am just not risking it. it's only a bike ride....lol. been a long winter up here...it first snowed on 18th december!!!

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Sensible stuff Shaun, I'd be thinking along the same lines in your shoes. As you say it is only a bike ride.

I'm still keen on going but will keep an eye on the forecast.

Top Bottom