England : North Yorkshire Dales ride from Gargrave - DATE CHANGE Wednesday, 17th August, 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here you go ...

I put a little diversion in to Airton early on because I have never ridden that stretch of road before and it looks nice on Street view.

We cross the Wharfe over a footbridge to Cavendish Pavilion. We will stop at the cafe there.

Attachments

• Gargrave loop for Effyb4.gpx
    17.5 KB · Views: 167
Thanks, Colin. If I'm not at the Gargrave station or cafe then I may have gone to Airton as it's a bit closer and I'd like to minimise the distance to get to you as well as get going as late as possible. Of course, I could just roll 3km down the road and get on the same train at Clapham station, but I don't fancy that much.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
@ColinJ - I can't read the gpx on caravan slo-fi, any chance of a screen grab map of the route?

I'm up for the ride anway, but I'd prefer to have a look in advance.

@Sea of vapours - taking it easy?

That's a relief, it will give the rest of us a chance.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ - I can't read the gpx on caravan slo-fi, any chance of a screen grab map of the route?

I'm up for the ride anway, but I'd prefer to have a look in advance.

@Sea of vapours - taking it easy?

That's a relief, it will give the rest of us a chance.
Here you are. I had to choose the simple map because I couldn't get the whole route on the screen at 1:50,000 scale with the text legible. (I couldn't be bothered to do it in multiple parts and stitch them together!)

Gargrave route.gif

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

There's a triangular green with a bench in Airton and I'm aiming for that, not Gargrave. I'm assuming that you won't be there 'til 1230 earliest. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
Assuming that everybody arrives at Gargarve on time and that we have no mechanical problems on the way to Airton then I reckon we should get there shortly after 12:30. If we get there before 12:30 and you are not there then we will wait until (say) 12:40 in case you are running late but if you are not there by 12:40 then I'll assume that your legs have seized up and you are having a rest day! :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Four set out from Gargrave but only one returned.

That one was me, for reasons I will explain.

We met @Sea of vapours a few miles into the ride as planned, so there was five at that point.

It soon became apparent @Effyb4 might struggle with the climbing, despite spinning up the first 15 per cent one.

Trouble is in this patch double digit climbs, albeit short, just keep on coming.

We needed to get the ride done in five hours for @ColinJ's, Effy's, and Mr Effy's last train.

A pow-wow was had at Cracoe - where the pic was taken - resulting in Mr and Mrs Effy deciding to peel off.

Me, Colin and SoV carried on, but timing was still going to be tight.

Rather than rush the cafe stop, Colin said he would abandon all thoughts of locomotion and ride home instead.

Bolton Abbey is a lovely spot, but there was rather too many car-borne visitors and their numerous children for it to be very restful.

Expensive, too, - more than four quid for a small cup of coffee and a can of Coke.

We rode out of the grounds past a gatehouse where I learned it's £8 to park a car, of which there were hundreds, so someone is turning a shilling or two.

Colin left us soon after to head to Keighley, leaving me and SoV to carry on towards Gargrave.

Our route included a few miles on a busy B-road, we made an unspoken agreement to crack on along there to get it done.

SoV told me later the stretch enabled him to experience drafting, and work out the difference between being close on a wheel and a couple of bike lengths behind.

As I've remarked before, ebikers have their uses on group rides.

The result of our joint exertions was we arrived within a mile or so of Gargrave by 5.10pm, meaning Colin would have caught his train with time to spare.

But none of us knew the exact distance we faced when Colin left.

SoV turned for home just outside Gargrave, so I was the only one to do the full advertised ride.

It clocked 37 miles with the best part of 1,000m of climbing.

The ride was also another very enjoyable day out on the bike, thanks to an excellent route (if you can hack the climbs) and the usual good company I've come to expect on forum rides.

My thanks to the others for turning out.

The pic shows (l-r): Mr Effy, Effy, SoV and Colin.

P1000318.JPG

That is a comprehensive and entirely accurate summary I think @Pale Rider. A very enjoyable day out in good company. It was lumpier than I'd imagined, overall. My numbers came in at 111km and 1,825m of ascent, which is not overly far off my uber-hilly ride yesterday in terms of ascent/distance so possibly not optimal as a 'recovery ride', though the pace was spot on for that. As to drafting: yes, I can wholeheartedly endorse @Pale Rider on his e-bike as a very fine parter of the air - I'd have been trying far too hard there without that assistance, so thanks again.

I trust you got home OK @ColinJ ?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
That is a comprehensive and entirely accurate summary I think @Pale Rider. A very enjoyable day out in good company. It was lumpier than I'd imagined, overall. My numbers came in at 111km and 1,825m of ascent, which is not overly far off my uber-hilly ride yesterday in terms of ascent/distance so possibly not optimal as a 'recovery ride', though the pace was spot on for that. As to drafting: yes, I can wholeheartedly endorse @Pale Rider on his e-bike as a very fine parter of the air - I'd have been trying far too hard there without that assistance, so thanks again.

I trust you got home OK @ColinJ ?

Pleased to be of some limited assistance, but you ought to be well-chuffed with your efforts over the last two days.

I doubt there are many even strong recreational riders who could chalk off 3,000+ metres of climbing one day, get up, and do the best part of 2,000 metres the next.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thanks Rob. I'll certainly be having a day off tomorrow I feel.

It will be interesting to see what state you are in tomorrow.

I've pushed it a bit the last two days, in my own limited, electrically-assisted way.

About 30 miles and 1,000 metres in the Lakes yesterday, and about the same today.

I can feel a bit of stiffness now, which might be worse - or better - tomorrow.

My recovery ride, if there is one, will be eight miles to Masham for a bacon sandwich from the Border House cafe in Market Place.

A lot of club roadies use it, although I suppose the more health conscious ones go for the beans on toast.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm back! :hello:

My plan for the day started with a ride from Todmorden to Gargrave, which I did. That turned out to be a bit lumpier than I remembered ... 969 m of ascent in 43 km!

I got to Gargrave with a few minutes to spare before Effy/Mr Effy's train was due in but it was running late. Eventually it turned up and Effy, Mr E and I rolled down into Gargrave to meet Pale Rider. Mr E had to go and buy some cereal bars from the local Co-op to get some cashback for the coming cafe stop. I think cash machines are a bit less sparse in Essex than they are in the Dales ...

We rode round to the village of Airton to meet Sea of Vapours who was treating the ride as recovery from an exceedingly hard one yesterday. People from most parts of the UK would not consider today's lumpiness as 'recovery'!

Effy was doing her best. She had serious health problems a couple of years ago and they still limit what she can do now, though she has a damn good go anyway. I had tried to pick a less hilly route than many of mine, but I was a bit taken aback at how lumpy it still was. It looked like it was going to be a struggle to do the full route. The thing is that there isn't really a great choice of shortcuts on the route. If you look at the simple map I posted above, you will see that there is a potential one down the B-road from Burnsall and then from Barden Tower to Embsay. What that map doesn't show is that the latter road ascends Halton Moor very steeply to Halton Height. That wouldn't have been a popular choice!

PR eventually said what I had been thinking - that we would run out of time later in the ride. Normally, we just ride at the speed of the slowest rider and that is fine. The problem today was that Effy/Mr E had to be in Gargrave in time to catch their train back at 5:30. If they missed that then they would have had to either do a lengthy extra ride or pay for an expensive taxi ride. They decided to take a shortcut back to Gargrave. I got a text from Effy later saying that they had stopped for lunch in Hetton and then meandered back to Gargrave with plenty of time to spare. I hope that they still enjoyed their day, despite not getting their full ride in.

That left PR, SoV and myself to continue on the original route. We eventually got to our cafe stop at Cavendish Pavilion. As alluded to above - it was a sunny day during the summer school holiday so it was heaving!

We saw what appeared to be a women's cycling club leaving just before us. A lot of very fit-looking young women. Given how close we were to Otley, home of Lizzie Armitstead, I would say that her success is definitely boosting local women's participation in the sport.

During our stop, I started thinking that I would probably be in danger of missing my own train later on. I had done the sums and could see that we would likely get to Gargrave in time, but it would only have taken one puncture to have eaten up my time buffer. I was going to catch the train to Keighley for an easier ride home than going back the way that I had gone out in the morning. It dawned on me that I could simply ride back to Keighley from Bolton abbey and avoid the necessity to catch the train at all, so that was what I decided to do.

I chose to ride back on the original route of the local Spring into the Dales audax event. I rode along the lane through Beamsley and then crossed the footbridge over the Wharfe at Addingham. The old Ilkley road took me to a spot to cross the busy A65 and then do a rather stiff ascent of Nudge Hill, followed by a rapid and potentially scary descent to Silsden (Note to young driver: I was doing 40 mph down the hill and that was the limit of what was safe. Multiple instances of the word SLOW were painted on the road. Take them as a strong hint next time! Don't just go screaming down a 15% descent at 60 mph and then have to brake hard to avoid hurtling off the road on the tight bend just in front of you ... :wacko:)

The route from Silsden to Oxenhope is never great, and I hit it at just the wrong time. I caught the evening rush hour and it was very busy through Silsden, Steeton, and Utley, through Keighley, up to Cross Roads and Haworth Brow. I looked at the time and realised that if I had been on that train, I would just have been getting off in Keighley so I was about 20 minutes ahead of where I would have been.

Traffic eased off by Oxenhope and I began my climb to Cock Hill. I had been on a good day so far, but I know from repeated experience that my back normally starts to play up when I do that climb at the end of a hard ride. It did so again, but not as badly as usual. I must be getting fitter, and my new position on the bike seems to suit me (bars lower and further away from me).

The descent to Hebden Bridge was fun, as usual, and it was nice to have a '12' on my new cassette rather than the '13' on the old one. The big ring on my Cannondale is only a '48' and I used to spin out on 48/13. 48/12 still isn't quite high enough but at least I didn't have to freewheel all the way down.

The A646 from Hebden Bridge back to Todmorden is a bit busy and I have done it hundreds of times so it was something to get out of the way, rather than savour.

As I neared home, my thoughts turned to food. I really didn't fancy coming back out to buy supplies later ... Ah, the local chip shop was still open! I bought a fish 'n chip supper and wolfed that down back at ColinJ HQ.

I enjoyed my day out, even though plans changed during the ride. Nice to meet @Effyb4 and Mr E, and team up with PR and SoV again.

Ride stats: 123 km (76 miles) with 2,375 m of climbing (7,800 ft).

PS I didn't take many photos. I think I have one or two from the ride over to Gargrave which may be worth posting. I'll check tomorrow.

Last edited:
That was a big day, Colin! Good call I think, missing out the train bit - more elegant, if only twenty minutes quicker. And all that traffic is less appealing than the climb I 'had to do' from Airton over to Settle. Glad you got back OK, and thanks again for organising and fixing the weather so well :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that the weather was lovely all day - sunny, very warm but not stupidly hot, a bit of a cooling breeze, but no howling headwinds.

I liked 'Season of Vapours' in my post above but have now corrected it! :laugh:

Top Bottom