Did man land on the moon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
marinyork said:
Where do people get this idea of stuff being really bad quality? NASA have released two titles in High Definition. It would probably look really bad in 405 lines B&W. Discovery Chanel have even shown some of the material in HD.

Yes - it did. I was indeed referring to the original b&w tv broadcast of the first moonwalk. I was woken up by request to come downstairs to watch it.

col

Legendary Member
bonj said:
a) the moon hardly has any atmosphere, the earth has - the rocks that caused craters would have burned up long before they'd got anywhere near the earth.

For the moon maybe,but jupiter acts in a similar way by hoovering up large threats,do you remember the impact a couple of years ago?

;) Why do we need tides? (ok surfers like them but they can find something else to do)

Tides are integral in the life of things.

c) We don't need seasons either.

It only regulates all life on earth.

Advantages:
it would eradicate wind
grid north would be the same as true north - as opposed to 7 degrees out
lots of other advantages

The moon being where it is is a lucky string of coincedences that have enabled us to be here,without it,we might not.

Mr Phoebus

The Earth's taken as many hits as the moon has done.
Earth having an atmosphere means constant erosion over millions of years and the continents moving over millions of years have removed them from the surface.
One of the last biggies was the Tunguska event in Siberia.
The Moon's surface being static shows all the scars.

just jim

Why would anyone want to visit this cold, grey, desolate, inhospitable wasteland anyway?

But enough about London!

Tetedelacourse

It's a good job Neil and Buzz went to the moon when they did. It's now 1.5 metres further away from us than when they went.

We need the moon. Without it pulling us up, we would plummet into the Sun.

Mr Pig

Tetedelacourse said:
It's a good job Neil and Buzz went to the moon when they did. It's now 1.5 metres further away from us than when they went.

So they would've needed a longer ladder?

Tetedelacourse

just jim said:
Why would anyone want to visit this cold, grey, desolate, inhospitable wasteland anyway?

But enough about London!

:biggrin:

"This is one good old fashioned knees up and a bit of a giggle for Boris, but one giant dog turd on the shoe for its citizens"

:ohmy:

Mr Phoebus

There's a Birmingham on the Moon. (true)

I'm thinking it's a lot more hospitable looking than some parts of the one in the UK.

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
buggi said:
and i'm still not convinced.

What? Did you read FM's links? :ohmy:

Try THIS as well. If you're still not convinced, there is I'm afraid no hope for you. :biggrin:

There a several clinchers for it, but the best is probably the difficulty of fabricating dust being thrown up from lunar rover wheels in parabolic arcs rather than billowing (as it would in air) in a vacuum large enough for a lunar rover to drive around extensively in in one camera shot.

Apply some thought to what it would take to fake it all, then as jonesy suggests compare with the relative ease of actually achieving the manned landings, and you soon realise faking it successfully for all this time is by far the tougher proposition.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
bonj said:
Possibly a more pertinent question: do we even NEED the moon? Would the world be a better place without it?

col said:
If you look at a pic of the moon,all those craters were caused by things hitting it,and earth would have took them if the moon wasnt there,also if we didnt have the moon there would be no tides,and as the moon acts as a sort of steadying influence if you like,we probably wouldnt have seasons as we know them as the tilt and orbit would be erratic.

this is true... i saw it on tv! apparently the moon keeps the earth on it's axis. without it or if there was more than one moon, the earth would rotate erratically, one moment it would be as hot as the sahara desert, the next as cold as the artic/antartic. i dunno how they know this though :biggrin: probably more BS the science community has made up knowing we will believe it hehe :ohmy: (stop getting so mad at me, its a FUN debate)

Maz

Guru
I think we need to turn this thread into a pro v anti-helmet debate:
Did the lunar astronauts need to wear helmets? And were they any safer as a result?

Top Bottom