Dun Run lite - Friday 7th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Snail Bait

Hi. I'm interested but how much faster than a normal FNRTTC is this likely to be? I've done the Dun Run once but at my own steady plod and I could hear Agent Hilda's "all up" far too often for my liking on the Whitstable ride.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
OK I'm in.

I'll probably bail at Needham Market after 126km/78 miles. Trains one/hour at 50 min past the hour change at Ipswich takes about 1:30 to Livepool St

A less likely option, if we are making very good time and I'm feeling particluarly energetic, is to leave the ride at Needham Market and head to Diss (another 32 km/20mi) Trains from Diss two/hr at 17 and 47. Take 1:32 or 38 direct to Liverpool St).

I'll be travelling without a pre-booked ticket and hoping there will be no probs with bike space on trains. Is this foolish?

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Needham Market? I'd reckon we'd be there about 8:30 - 8:45 am or so. Re the trains, it'll probably be a little 2 carriage unit to Ipswich and if it's just 2 or 3 bikes it won't be an issue having them in a couple of doorways, as Ipswich is the next and final stop. When you change at Ipswich, the train to London Liverpool Street could be a long intercity one, usually with a guards van at the end, but the station staff there will be able to advise. It's very unlikely to be an issue with getting bikes on at that time, and just checking now, there are at least 6 bike spaces available on the 09:09, the 09:43 and the 10:09 services from Ipswich.

Pace-wise, I'm not intending to run this as a fast one. We'll go at the pace everyone is comfortable with - after all, we've got all night! So we'll take the time to stop and admire the view, listen to and or watch the nightlife, take some photos, catch your breath etc.

Snail Bait

Cool. I'll give it a go and if I'm really struggling I'll duck out at Finchingfield and cut across to Saffron Walden to bludge tea from friends.

Snail Bait

Yes, we're near enough following the official route, so would be going through Finchingfield 3:30 - 4 am. The gpx for the route we'll be taking is shown in reply #22 on page 2 above.
So, if the worst comes to the worst it's breakfast in the Mocha in Walden but I'll be gunning for my first 100 miles of 2013. See you on Friday.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Re the trains, [...]
Thanks for the info.

@CR2 I did one of Adam's rides (Tilting at Windmills) last month as a tester for this ride, to see what the pace was like as I'm a bit of a trundler myself. You need have no worries, it was perfectly civilised. See you on Friday.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Needham Market? I'd reckon we'd be there about 8:30 - 8:45 am or so. Re the trains, it'll probably be a little 2 carriage unit to Ipswich and if it's just 2 or 3 bikes it won't be an issue having them in a couple of doorways, as Ipswich is the next and final stop. When you change at Ipswich, the train to London Liverpool Street could be a long intercity one, usually with a guards van at the end, but the station staff there will be able to advise. It's very unlikely to be an issue with getting bikes on at that time, and just checking now, there are at least 6 bike spaces available on the 09:09, the 09:43 and the 10:09 services from Ipswich.

Pace-wise, I'm not intending to run this as a fast one. We'll go at the pace everyone is comfortable with - after all, we've got all night! So we'll take the time to stop and admire the view, listen to and or watch the nightlife, take some photos, catch your breath etc.

sounds great, please count me in . Regarding trains: In a worst case scenario, I can disassemble the Moulton.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm riding back Martin. Not at warp speed, but I do want to be home before it starts getting dark, so will need to get away from Dunwich my 12pm. Here's my route.
I wasn't sure you'd be along. I doubt I could do 200 miles at warp speed at the mo but similar to you, it would be good to get home 8ish maybe.

Top Bottom