Early fireworks - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
We tend to go with Rescue Remedy when anything stresses out any of ours. Alcohol not being terribly good for dogs.

Did the schnapps help?
Remember the good old days when you could take dogs in to the pub?

Sitting in the vault with a dog drinking beer from an ashtray. :smile:

Tim Hall

If the fireworks were last night, perhaps they were commemorating beating the Dastardly French at Agincourt, what with it being St Crispin's day.

I admit this is an unlikely reason.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
If I'm old enough to remember it.........

You must just go into some nice pubs, obviously never been in a Joseph Holts one. :smile:
Joseph who? Not a brewery I've heard of.

My Nan used to run a pub and dogs were allowed in but she said that dogs couldn't have beer as it was bad for them but she turned a blind eye to cheese and onion crisps being fed. Because my Nan was a well known local landlady, a lot of the other landlords and landladies knew us grandkids on sight and wouldn't have served us in a pub anyway. Added to that they'd have told her that we'd been in and she'd have murdered us all in our beds.

Up until the age of about 25, I was too busy with work, studies, more work, horses and dogs to really go into pubs. I was a bit of a late starter really. I have tried to make up for it since though.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not had any yet around here, but there are usually two local largish local displays and then some smaller ones. Occasionally some kids let some off on the playing fields nearby!

I don't see the point in buying them myself, and would rather see the big ones at a display. I LOVE the feeling in your stomach when a big firework goes off!

stephec

Legendary Member
Joseph who? Not a brewery I've heard of.

My Nan used to run a pub and dogs were allowed in but she said that dogs couldn't have beer as it was bad for them but she turned a blind eye to cheese and onion crisps being fed. Because my Nan was a well known local landlady, a lot of the other landlords and landladies knew us grandkids on sight and wouldn't have served us in a pub anyway. Added to that they'd have told her that we'd been in and she'd have murdered us all in our beds.

Up until the age of about 25, I was too busy with work, studies, more work, horses and dogs to really go into pubs. I was a bit of a late starter really. I have tried to make up for it since though.
Joseph Holts is a Manchester brewery, the pubs are traditional types of pubs.

In some it would be classed as a luxury to have toilet rolls. :biggrin:

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Our Local council is having the official bonfire and fireworks display next Thursday - 30th October ....... what is that all about.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Debate rages in the rjh household.

When we lived in Leicester and the fireworks started going off in mid-October, we always used to say 'that's Diwali celebrations'.
Living now in a South Cambs commuter village, the local Hindu population is, to put it mildly, less visible than in Leicester. But when the fireworks started tonight, Mrs rjh still thought it was for Diwali, whereas I reckon it's just the natives getting overexcited and they just can't wait for November 5th.

This is an armchair debate only as we couldn't be a*sed to go and find the source of the fireworks and question the perpetrators.
Fortunately armchair research is able to inform such armchair debates.

According to the ONS (data from 2011 and reported in the Guardian - but it won't have changed much) 2.9% of the population of South Cambridgeshire is Asian or Asian British.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2011/may/18/ethnic-population-england-wales
With a total population of 150,000 (google), that makes over 4000 Asian or Asian British people in the district.

According to the 2011 census data ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...ire&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250) the Hindu population of South Cambridgeshire is about 0.8%. Add in a few Sikhs, Buddhists and members of other Asian religions - all of whom might celebrate Diwali culturally in the way that a non-Christian Brit might celebrate Christmas - and you've still got well over 1,000 people in the district who might be letting of fireworks for a reason other than Guy Fawkes.

Incidentally, I discovered this week that my colleagues with a Gujurati Jain family background celebrated on Wednesday and Friday, while the people from Hindu families celebrated on Thursday and Friday. Both celebrated in the same way - with sweets and pastries. I think my favourite was effectively deep-fried swirls of batter soaked in sugar syrup...

Tin Pot

Guru
In Deptford fireworks are just another projectile to attack the traffic with, they don't need cultural reasons.

One was launched at us two weeks ago Friday evening.

A few years ago the top windows if the bus I was on were shot out.

So maybe it's a culture of itself?

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
If the fireworks were last night, perhaps they were commemorating beating the Dastardly French at Agincourt, what with it being St Crispin's day.

I admit this is an unlikely reason.
Knowing where we live it seems about as likely as Diwali - although following @srw's, as always, admirable research I am beginning to reconsider.

Top Bottom