East Yorkshire April 100 miler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
marinyork said:
Other than that silly field between Dunnington and Stamford Bridge and the poor bit below Escrick I think that's a good route.
Hopefully the weather will stay dry & fine & the fields shouldn't be too much of a problem. I'll take the map with me & if anyone prefers a 'road' alternative we can sort it on the day :thumbsdown:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Thanks. I've not decided whether I'll do a loop or peel off at Selby and head for Sheffield, both are over 100 miles :biggrin:. We'll not get lost, several people on the ride will know the alternatives. If you wanted to head into York, rather than skirting it and meeting at the Knavesmire then alternatives would make a bit more sense, depends where you want your cafe stops.

colly

Re member eR
marinyork said:
Thanks. I've not decided whether I'll do a loop or peel off at Selby and head for Sheffield, both are over 100 miles :biggrin:. We'll not get lost, several people on the ride will know the alternatives. If you wanted to head into York, rather than skirting it and meeting at the Knavesmire then alternatives would make a bit more sense, depends where you want your cafe stops.

Are you riding from Sheffield and then back again as well??? :biggrin::ohmy:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
No I'd run out of time for a start, only Longers would be mad enough to do that sort of thing. I'd get the train/stay over somewhere and peel off after about the 55 mile mark or park up in Hull and do the entire loop. If I Peel off I think it makes it about 105-110 miles but the last twenty miles involves more climbing than Soltydog's entire 100 and that's relatively flat for round here ;). I like the idea of skirting along the Humber so I think I'll probably try and do the entire thing. The early March Vale of York ride was very nice and you forget how flat it is round there.

Colly, is it going to be your 100 miler for April?

zacklaws

Guru
Beverley minster at 1000am is fine for me. Looking at the route, some parts I do not know ie South of York and the North bank of the Humber for example so I presume they are cycleways etc and if so can you get by with a road bike or is it a mountain bike which is the preferable choice

colly

Re member eR
marinyork said:
Colly, is it going to be your 100 miler for April?

It will be yes unless I decide to ride over to Hebden Bridge and back on Sunday for the Spring into the Dales ride. That would be around 100 miles.
The roads from here to Hebden Bridge aren't the best riding to be had so I am still dithering on that one.:tongue:

(I used to be indecisive...........I am not so sure now)

I'll be on a road bike Zacklaws so I guess it's what you prefer.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
zacklaws said:
Beverley minster at 1000am is fine for me. Looking at the route, some parts I do not know ie South of York and the North bank of the Humber for example so I presume they are cycleways etc and if so can you get by with a road bike or is it a mountain bike which is the preferable choice

I've not ridden all of the route myself, But i've done the south of york bit. Providing we don't have a load of rain, you should be fine on a road bike. The track along the humber foreshore used to be rough & not really suitable for road bikes, but it's been resurfaced in the last few weeks, so hopefully it will be better.

zacklaws

Guru
Road bike it is then, I have Marathon + tyres fitted so should be Ok if it does get a bit rough.

Arch

Married to Night Train
So is it looking like getting to York about 12ish? If you're looking for places to eat York has a few... (although a sunny day tends to see the city pretty crowded...)

The track south of York is mostly tarmac now, just the last little bit from Neptune to Pluto is gritty. I've ridden it on 25mm...

colly

Re member eR
I seem to recall a cafe at the side of the cycle track when I rode on it last.

Not too sure about that may have been elsewhere.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
craigwend said:
Solty what weather have you ordered?

I was actually thinking about this yesterday when Iwas cycling over to Bradford.
Next Saturday is the Bantams last home game of the season & it's always lovely & sunny for the last home game, so I'm hoping the good weather holds out for the Sunday too.

Top tip if it is sunny - Don't cycle all day wearing a bandana because you end up with a sunburnt face & a white forehead :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
colly said:
I seem to recall a cafe at the side of the cycle track when I rode on it last.

Not too sure about that may have been elsewhere.

There's one at Naburn - my only reservation about it is that it has in the past been a bit intermittant in terms of being open. I think it's run a bit ad hoc.... Mind you if it was shut, we could try the pub - ah, on a Sunday they do a carvery and are always rather busy...

Top Bottom