Embarrassed by cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last week I visited Cambridge with a Parisian friend and her children. I was shocked by the sheer audacity of the cyclists who cycled wherever they pleased with little or no regard for the law or pedestrians. They were a nightmare going the wrong way up one-way streets, etc. - if this is the future, you can keep it.

xpc316e said:
if this is the future, you can keep it.

It's coming to a place near you - soon!

Yep, the new generation! 'Fukk everyone else, I do what I want!' ;)

I agree; you can keep it! :biggrin:

gbb

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
It's coming to a place near you - soon!

Yep, the new generation! 'Fukk everyone else, I do what I want!' ;)

I agree; you can keep it! :biggrin:

Sadly, it seems a long growing British trait..i dont think there's anything new about it, just its finally crept into some of the cycling fraternity.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Its all about education, awareness, and general culture of which a cycling proficiency test at 11 ish is not really enough. I notice the massive difference in cycle attitudes and styles when I am in Central London (or other big cities) from when I am out in the sticks but I do think you get the same differences in drivers and indeed pedestrian attitudes.

I guess its because in city centres people are going places and have purpose, usually rushing, they arent out for a stroll or a gentle cruise in the car or on the bike. This is probably a massive over generalisation but its a theory.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
xpc316e said:
Last week I visited Cambridge with a Parisian friend and her children. I was shocked by the sheer audacity of the cyclists who cycled wherever they pleased with little or no regard for the law or pedestrians. They were a nightmare going the wrong way up one-way streets, etc. - if this is the future, you can keep it.

Dodgy cycling in Cambridge, shock horror. That's a bit like expecting to drive on the M25 and not see any traffic.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Radius said:
Yep, easy to shove if off onto the newer generations as a recent characteristic / development

tis a fair point a selfish pratt can be of any age, the younger ones are just more energetic about it

gbb

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
True, but it is getting worse! You ask any old fart here! :biggrin:

Oh, its getting worse alright ;)
We're going to get into a discussion about values and behaviour in general if we're not careful...but there has been a change for the worse in peoples attitudes.
And you know its bad when your own son tells you that attitudes out there are sh1t. Its not even something just we from an older generation can recognise...the youngsters know it too.

Harold Shipman wore black laceup shoes

Just because I work for the NHS and wear black lace up shoes does not make me responsible for his mass murders

Equally riding a bike does not make me responsible for every bad cyclist.

Maz

Guru
Cunobelin said:
Harold Shipman wore black laceup shoes

Just because I work for the NHS and wear black lace up shoes does not make me responsible for his mass murders

Equally riding a bike does not make me responsible for every bad cyclist.
Ah but, did Harold Shipman ride a bike?

Abitrary

xpc316e said:
if this is the future, you can keep it.

I too feel nothing but contempt for this oft-cited, ill conceived 'future' and it is just so refreshing to hear of other people standing up against it. Thank you for existing.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Cambridge - pah! Islington cyclists take no prisoners. They wouldn't know a red light if it was inserted in their bottoms!

Top Bottom