FLAT 100 km ride from Garforth, Saturday 23rd March, 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Can you remind me what time we are meeting?
My train will be due in at 10:05. I have to get out and cross the line from the north platform so call it 10:10, with a view to leaving around 10:15.

If Carrie does come, she would be driving over and said that she would aim for 10:00 to make sure that she is not late. (It would be nice if she could join us again, but she would have to find a very caring dog minder for the day.)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I haven't got a lock so it would be handy if someone could lock their bike to mine if we hide from the cold away from the bikes at the cafe stop!

Last time, my rim brakes got clogged with mud on the cycle path between Wetherby and Spofforth so I have added a degunker (bent screwdriver) to my ride toolkit.

Dadam

I haven't got a lock so it would be handy if someone could lock their bike to mine if we hide from the cold away from the bikes at the cafe stop!

Last time, my rim brakes got clogged with mud on the cycle path between Wetherby and Spofforth so I have added a degunker (bent screwdriver) to my ride toolkit.

I'll bring my cable lock but I'll still want to watch it like a hawk as my insurance won't pay out unless the bike is locked with a sold secure gold lock and motor or not I'm not lugging 2kg of D lock for 60 miles.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

my insurance won't pay out unless the bike is locked with a sold secure gold lock and motor or not I'm not lugging 2kg of D lock for 60 miles.
That's the problem that I have... This is great for trips to local shops but NOT for 100+ km!

OnGuard Brute u-lock.jpg

I rode 21 km today and the blustery wind was cold and made it hard work. Tomorrow, the wind is likely to be worse so the ride will definitely feel quite tough despite the lack of hills!

Let's just ride steadily when the wind is hindering us, and whiz along on the (relatively few!) stretches where we get a nice tailwind.

I will carry lights just in case but sunset isn't until 18:25 and we should be back by then unless there are multiple delays for mechanicals.

Confirmed rider list: ColinJ, @Dadam, @Julia9054, @Buck.
Maybe joining us: @FrothNinja, @Kestevan, my pal Carrie?

If you are a confirmed rider but have to pull out of the ride, post below so we don't hang about waiting for you!

Anybody who wants to turn up unannounced, make sure that you get to Garforth station before 10:10. Someone once cycled unannounced from Manchester to Hebden Bridge for one of my rides and literally caught us riding away from the car park at the start!

I will post from each of my 2 trains to confirm my progress towards Garforth (or otherwise!). If you don't get those updates, there is a problem such as me being stuck in a broken down train in a tunnel without a phone signal... believe it or not, that actually happened to me once! Keep an eye open for the train from Leeds. If it arrives on time but I don't get off it, then something bad has happened but I haven't been able to tell you, in which case proceed without me rather than hanging about in the cold for hours! (That has not yet happened on any of my rides, but it is the kind of thing that I worry about...)

FrothNinja

Veteran
I have only just conceded I won't be joining you tomorrow.
It would a 100 mile day for me when the ride to & from the station is included. The distance, a degree of tenderness resultant from my bike setup being not quite right for some reason, plus the forecast of near 40 mph gusts of wind (not from the tender area) as the final nail means common sense will have to prevail. Soz for being such a wimp.
On the plus side, the rain risk recedes as the day progresses, so please enjoy yourselves.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

... common sense will have to prevail. Soz for being such a wimp.
You aren't the only one - my pal Carrie just wimped out too!

On the plus side, the rain risk recedes as the day progresses, so please enjoy yourselves.
Hopefully, we will dodge any significant rain.

I was going to wear my heavy duty rain jacket but I may just take multiple layers and adjust what I wear to suit the changing conditions.

It is possible that I could navigate the route without my GPS but I won't risk it. I have put it on my new Wahoo, and a backup copy on my old Garmin (since the Wahoo unnerved me by choking on one ride).

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

What a lovely morning... Chilly, wet, and very windy - it must be forum ride day!! :whistle:

National Rail are showing delays on trains from Leeds towards York due to a broken down freight train. Hopefully, that will be sorted out before I get there but maybe not so I may be late.

Check X/Twitter for updates HERE.

Julia9054

Guru
I have to say the prospect of this wind isn't amusing me.
On the other hand, the sun is currently out and agreeing to ride with others means that you don't wimp out!
See you soon

Dadam

I must say the warm bed is proving extremely tempting this morning, especially with the rain hitting the window just now, but the forecast looks slightly better than it did yesterday. About to jump in the shower. Should be there 10 ish

Last edited:
Top Bottom