FLAT 100 km ride from Garforth, Saturday 23rd March, 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Good luck, I'll try & keep the wind & rain in Pendle. Will be doing a far less ambitious ride. Currently we are experiencing sun showers

colly

Re member eR
I've just got back from Kippax, watching my grandson play rugby.
Stood on the touchline in the bitingly cold gale like winds, the short but frequent icey showers, the bouts of hail stones and the occasional brilliant sunshine, l was thinking of you lot.
Secretly pleased l had ducked out a while back . :smile:

I hope you all get back safe and sound and not too cold or wet.

Buck

Guru
It was a good ride today with @ColinJ @Julia9054 and @Dadam

A light rain shower and hail near the start didn't bode well but the rain mainly stayed away for the remainder of the ride.
It was a tad chilly not helped by the ever present 30mph+ winds. It also made it hard to pace the ride and made some sections hard work on the legs (and face!) and a few wobbles from the side gusts !

A nice stop at Roast in Tadcaster with yummy food and lots of coffee certainly helped keep the energy levels up.

All in all a great ride and company. Thanks for organising Colin !

IMG_8601.jpeg

IMG_8596.jpeg

IMG_8597.jpeg

IMG_8605.jpeg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, it was a good day out on the bikes. The weather teetered just on the good side of challenging. It could have been really horrid, but it stayed bearable.

It was nice riding with @Buck, @Julia9054, and @Dadam again. We agreed that we would not have done that ride solo today, but the company made the weather less of an issue.

My bike used to be a singlespeed but these days has 6 gears to enable me to tackle lumpier routes. This route has its undulations (about 750 metres/2,500 ft worth) but nothing that demanded my bailout gears so I stayed in my old singlespeed gear all day.

I was feeling cold, tired and hungry when I got home but I am feeling good now.

I will organise something else in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully we get the sun again for that one, but no icy winds next time, ta very much!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Glad you had a mostly nice ride.
I took the dog out attached to my bike and that wind was flippin brutal.
I have to be honest, traffic these days is beginning to scare the ***" out of me and maybe partly responsible for my declining interest in cycling. Hope that changes soon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have to be honest, traffic these days is beginning to scare the ***" out of me and maybe partly responsible for my declining interest in cycling. Hope that changes soon.
We were talking about busy roads on the ride, and how I try to avoid including them in forum rides.

I spent time last night trying to plan a new route but so far have been unable to work out a suitable way of avoiding roads that I would not want to use. Uphill, fast, and busy are not good! One road was really not doing it for me on Street View and then I spotted a road sign warning of a very bad accident record, which confirmed that my concerns were valid!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I spent time last night trying to plan a new route but so far have been unable to work out a suitable way of avoiding roads that I would not want to use. Uphill, fast, and busy are not good! One road was really not doing it for me on Street View and then I spotted a road sign warning of a very bad accident record, which confirmed that my concerns were valid!
I just read that there was a terrible accident on Saturday on one of the roads in question!! 2 dead and 7 in hospital with serious injuries... :ohmy:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

One of the roads from Saturday?
No - One of the busy roads that I want to avoid on a new route that I am planning.

I can buy a return rail ticket to Mirfield for just £3.65 and my train only takes 31 minutes to get there. I thought it would be interesting to tackle some unfamiliar roads from there to South Yorkshire and back. There are some nice looking roads in that area but avoiding busy roads joining them is trickier than I expected!

I will stick at it and come up with something soon.

Jameshow

Veteran
No - One of the busy roads that I want to avoid on a new route that I am planning.

I can buy a return rail ticket to Mirfield for just £3.65 and my train only takes 31 minutes to get there. I thought it would be interesting to tackle some unfamiliar roads from there to South Yorkshire and back. There are some nice looking roads in that area but avoiding busy roads joining them is trickier than I expected!

Yea I've been over to Sheffield and it's the a629 which is busy but at least it's wide.

Dadam

Chatting about route planning with you on Saturday reminded me that I really must plan some more solo routes. There are a few places not far from me that I've never been to and cycle routes I've never tried.

EDIT: I read that back and realised it sounds like chatting with you makes me want to ride solo more! :laugh: Not the case at all!

Top Bottom