FNRttK 2014 - Saturday May 3rd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's Flemish Night Ride to the Kust!!
Hahahahahaha! That makes much more sense!

Mice :hello:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@StuAff The bits I was looking for were the ferry time options (maybe there is only one ferry). I was quite happy to follow the ask a silly question routine but I'm not sure which category your response falls into.:cry:

Mice:hello:
First point: I wasn't having a go, most of the (ride-related) queries you had were answered by Els in the very first post, and you did seem to be asking questions that had already been answered (ride meet point for one).
Second: There are plenty of ferries- I agree that we'll have to sort out which one we'll be going over on (and naturally make our own travel arrangements to get there based on that). No rush.

StuAff

@mmmmartin Having consulted the DFDS timetable and the Belgian railways timetable, and allowing a couple of hours to get to De Panne (should be a lot quicker, but best to err on the side of caution) might I suggest either the 2pm or 4pm crossing from Dover would be best. Trains from De Panne to Brussels Central are one an hour, at five minutes to the hour, and just over two hours (2:06 if we change trains, 2:15 straight through), so the 1955 service (the one we're likely to make after the 1600 ferry, at least without the aid of PEDs) would get us into Brussels just after 10pm. I'm thinking that despite the early start required, I'd rather go for the 2pm ferry- partly to allow time to see more of Brussels, and partly so I have the option of riding the last 25km or so into the centre (might as well get the 161km a month challenge ride done and dusted).

StuartG

slower but further
Given that I plan to arrive in Brussels about 16:30 it would be nice to have some other early arrivals to share a relaxed supper.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Given that I plan to arrive in Brussels about 16:30 it would be nice to have some other early arrivals to share a relaxed supper.
If I can figure it all out, I plan to be on the 2pm ferry. I have no idea what time that means I'll get to Brussels but it will be before midnight.

@Mice Pretty much all the info you need is in the first post. Honest. Take a deep breath, or a nap if zzzzz is anything to go buy, read it.....and relax.

@[S]mmmmartin[/S] Having consulted the DFDS timetable and the Belgian railways timetable, and allowing a couple of hours to get to De Panne (should be a lot quicker, but best to err on the side of caution) might I suggest either the 2pm or 4pm crossing from Dover would be best. Trains from De Panne to Brussels Central are one an hour, at five minutes to the hour, and just over two hours (2:06 if we change trains, 2:15 straight through), so the 1955 service (the one we're likely to make after the 1600 ferry, at least without the aid of PEDs) would get us into Brussels just after 10pm. I'm thinking that despite the early start required, I'd rather go for the 2pm ferry- partly to allow time to see more of Brussels, and partly so I have the option of riding the last 25km or so into the centre (might as well get the 161km a month challenge ride done and dusted).

Ahaaaa. At last the information I was looking for.:wahhey: Thank you. If there is a suggested plan for the return journey that would be brilliantly helpful too. My knowledge of Belgium is so non-existent that seeing Brussel to Gent in the opening post meant absolutely nothing to me. Now, thanks to your research @StuAff I can see a plan coming together. I'm even now thinking of little wheels @redfalo and @StuartG (no decision made yet tho!!)

Many thanks

StuAff

Ahaaaa. At last the information I was looking for.:wahhey: Thank you. If there is a suggested plan for the return journey that would be brilliantly helpful too. My knowledge of Belgium is so non-existent that seeing Brussel to Gent in the opening post meant absolutely nothing to me. Now, thanks to your research @StuAff I can see a plan coming together. I'm even now thinking of little wheels @redfalo and @StuartG (no decision made yet tho!!)

Many thanks

You're welcome.
Chutney (no, not mayonaisse :smile: ) might get a foreign outing if we're all going origamist....

OP
OP
swarm_catcher
I haven't made my mind up - if there's an elevation graph of the route that will help me make my mind up. On the other hand if Lelly is with us I'd better bring big wheels as she might be rather irritated at the amount of waiting she does (not to mention @swarm_catcher!!)
Think pancake, and tilt towards the sea.

The elevation graph might be misleading unless you can calibrate 80m max.

FNRttK%25202014%2520Elevation.png

And @Mice, waiting is a photo opportunity - the more the better. Hope that helps :smile:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
if there's an elevation graph of the route
It looks something like this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those spikes you can see in swarm-catcher's trace are probably bridges over canals. That's what Flanders is like.

I wish we were available - this sounds like a lovely adventure across brilliant terrain through two gorgeous cities. Unfortunately my office is sending us to Barcelona for a couple of days of conference and a couple of days of R&R.

Top Bottom