football ... and girls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Kovu said:
Bradford? Seriously? :biggrin: What's wrong with you fella? Only one step below that!

If we keep Stan Ternant then we'll be going down, terrible considering that this was supposed to be the season.

TBH I enjoy the friendly rivalry between us, unlike the white $h1te who still believe they are champions of Europe ;)
Hope Stan turns it round for you & we don't swap places at the end of the season ;)

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Soltydog said:
TBH I enjoy the friendly rivalry between us, unlike the white $h1te who still believe they are champions of Europe ;)
Hope Stan turns it round for you & we don't swap places at the end of the season ;)

Yeah me too, kept a few of the Bradford fans company on the BBC boards a while back when we played them. Was fun, football with the proper rivalires are good. You even have our players now on load :biggrin:
Bradford and Leeds aye? Who'd have em?

Stan won't turn it down, my reckoning is we'll just miss the drop this season and he'll be gone, another manager gone in less then a year!

Tetedelacourse

Kovu said:
I thought I did wish you happy birthday? We'll deal with that first and then we'll deal with the other stuff. I swear I wished you happy birthday?! ;)

And yeah I know, the offside Rule is so complicated because if your not interfering with play then its not offside, it's not offside if he interfers with opponents, or if he is level with the last second guy, or if he recieves it from a goal kick or from a corner, or a throw in. So yeah i know there are so many ins and outs of the offside rule that it is impossible to completly understand it, but of course in theory i do.

;) I said "since you wished me happy birthday a while back..."! You DID DEFINITELY wish me a HB - that's why you only got a yellow and not a straight red;)

You do know more than you were letting on, that's good. You were dumbing it down for Fab Foodie, I see. Glad to know that you understand it "in theory":laugh::biggrin:

Let's get to the nuts and bolts. The offside rule is simple but for one thing; how do you know if a player is active or not. That's the only difficult part and that's the part that's causing all the bother, because it leaves it open to interpretation. You might consider a player to be active when I consider him to be inactive. The rest of the rule is pretty self-explanatory.

As you (or someone else?) point out, it's easy for the ref or his assistants to make mistakes in enforcing the rule through poor observation, but it's not complicated with the exception of what I've outlined here.

A few other parts to the rule for good measure!

1. A player cannot be deemed to be offside whilst standing in his own half.
2. A player cannot be deemed to be offside if the pass he receives is not a forward pass.

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
;) I said "since you wished me happy birthday a while back..."! You DID DEFINITELY wish me a HB - that's why you only got a yellow and not a straight red;)

You do know more than you were letting on, that's good. You were dumbing it down for Fab Foodie, I see. Glad to know that you understand it "in theory":laugh::biggrin:

Let's get to the nuts and bolts. The offside rule is simple but for one thing; how do you know if a player is active or not. That's the only difficult part and that's the part that's causing all the bother, because it leaves it open to interpretation. You might consider a player to be active when I consider him to be inactive. The rest of the rule is pretty self-explanatory.

As you (or someone else?) point out, it's easy for the ref or his assistants to make mistakes in enforcing the rule through poor observation, but it's not complicated with the exception of what I've outlined here.

A few other parts to the rule for good measure!

1. A player cannot be deemed to be offside whilst standing in his own half.
2. A player cannot be deemed to be offside if the pass he receives is not a forward pass.

But the angle of sight is different. I know there supposed to be dead in line with the last player, but a linesman sight is often different. So even if it isn't offside, it still can be counted as because of the way the linesman sees the ball.

MarkF

Guru
Soltydog said:
TBH I enjoy the friendly rivalry between us, unlike the white $h1te who still believe they are champions of Europe :biggrin:

I hope Stan doesn't turn it round and we do swap places:laugh:

The Udders lot are as deluded as the L**ds, they have been singing about the glory days of the 1920's since them, it's embarrassing. They should be a proper northern provincial football club and having nothing to sing about....like us:sad:

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
MarkF said:
I hope Stan doesn't turn it round and we do swap places:laugh:

The Udders lot are as deluded as the L**ds, they have been singing about the glory days of the 1920's since them, it's embarrassing. They should be a proper northern provincial football club like us and having nothing to sing about....like us:sad:

Sadly Mark ... Stan won't turn it around and that's why most fans are calling for his head now!
And we sing about the glory days because we are proud of that, and we have had little else to sing for ever since, but I mean at least we have had this to sing about.
And you shouldn't complain do much, your loaning Clarke from us now!

And you offend me that you are comparing the town lot with the sh!tty leeds.

Willow

Kovu said:
But the angle of sight is different. I know there supposed to be dead in line with the last player, but a linesman sight is often different. So even if it isn't offside, it still can be counted as because of the way the linesman sees the ball.

Surely the offisde rule is one of the main reasons in the end the electronic ref (or whatever they call it in Rugby) will eventually come in. I think that would be a shame, we all like a good shout at what we believe to be a dodgy decision even if we as fans are totally biased at the time! The last match I went to I had the referees best friend sat next to me, actually the ref was quite good but it still inhibited me somewhat!

Tetedelacourse

Angle of sight matters only in enforcing the rule, not in its interpretation. There's nothing complicated in describing a player as closer to the opponent's goal than his marker. Line of sight throws up difficulties for the officials in enforcing the rule. It's their job to get themselves in a position to make the right call.

I'm not saying that aspect of it is hard to enforce, just that it's not hard to understand.

The current controversy is around whether you class a player as active or not.

I once played in a friendly game which was referreed by an SFA trained ref who was a retired ex-boxer. He sent a boy off for a ridiculous challenge and when the boy protested a little too vigourously and vocally, the ref invited him to wait until the end of the game, whereby he would "batter the living sh1te out of him". End of protest, and the rest of the game passed quietly.:biggrin:

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
Angle of sight matters only in enforcing the rule, not in its interpretation. There's nothing complicated in describing a player as closer to the opponent's goal than his marker. Line of sight throws up difficulties for the officials in enforcing the rule. It's their job to get themselves in a position to make the right call.

I'm not saying that aspect of it is hard to enforce, just that it's not hard to understand.

The current controversy is around whether you class a player as active or not.

I once played in a friendly game which was referreed by an SFA trained ref who was a retired ex-boxer. He sent a boy off for a ridiculous challenge and when the boy protested a little too vigourously and vocally, the ref invited him to wait until the end of the game, whereby he would "batter the living sh1te out of him". End of protest, and the rest of the game passed quietly.:ohmy:

Okay so in your opinion tete do I seem to understand it? :biggrin:
If only all refers were like that!

OP
OP
Kovu

Kovu

Über Member
Tetedelacourse said:
Yip. It's just the way you "show your knowledge" that needs to be improved:biggrin:

I'm never going to get that right then. I'm never good at explaining things the way they should be explained. :ohmy: But I know it, just I choose which bits to say like I did to Fab :biggrin:

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
As a bloke I am impressed by women who know about blokey things...and even more impressed by those who do blokey things (in a feminine way of course)...for example...expalining the offside rule would impress me because I have no clue how it works except that mostly it doesn't.

Female cyclists impress me, especially touring cyclists...and especially the extremely rare solo female tourer variety.

I happen to know that a female is more than capable of doing anything a male can do better than he can if she wants to...I hate to admit it but apart from the reproduction issue females dont really need males....exceptto explain the offside rule to.

BigonaBianchi said:
As a bloke I am impressed by women who know about blokey things...and even more impressed by those who do blokey things (in a feminine way of course)...for example...expalining the offside rule would impress me because I have no clue how it works except that mostly it doesn't.

Female cyclists impress me, especially touring cyclists...and especially the extremely rare solo female tourer variety.

I happen to know that a female is more than capable of doing anything a male can do better than he can if she wants to...I hate to admit it but apart from the reproduction issue females dont really need males....exceptto explain the offside rule to.

When did my wife tell you that ?

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
All this talk about Football, very interesting, I think you are all missing the point though!
Football is the simplest game in the world, it is really easy to understand and to play, even the off side rule can be explained in less than one minute especially with the help of three bottles of beer or something similar!
This is the reason the game has spread so world wide and is now a huge global industry, because the rules can be explained to a group of people who don't even speak one word of the same language, very easily and they can be running about trying to get an inflated piece of leather in to a net within minutes.
:sad:

Top Bottom