England : West Yorkshire Forum ride - Hebden Bridge to Otley, 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
colin i asked a simple question, to be given a lecture. tbh i can now go up more stuff fixed than you can on your geared bike, so i don't know why you put up a long post about fixed friendly routes. that particular part of the route is just up a boring rd and straight back down iirc and wanted look at a way around it, just like i did last time. anyway, thanks for the offer of other rides in the future.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
And back to the ride ...

Rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • Alun
  • SlowerThanASluggishSloth
  • potsy (Haribo-loaded)
  • sdr gb
Guest appearances
  • tubbycyclist (Hebden Bridge to ... Steeton maybe?)
  • colly (Denton Road, 13:00 -13:30 ish, then to cafe)
  • phil_hg_uk ( Denton Road, 13:00 -13:30 ish, then to cafe)

Hopefully, those of you who do decide to come along will find it an enjoyable ride.

colly

Re member eR
Weather looks good for tomorrow...............

with a nice brisk westerly for you to battle against on the way back. ^_^

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Just got back from a lovely 47 mile ride out, nice and warm started to spit when I got back to Harrogate but has stopped now so if it is like this tomorrow it is ideal cycling weather :thumbsup: also I bought a new thin showerproof/windproof jacket yesterday so lets hope I dont need it until later on in the year ................. like december

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just been walking and I agree about the weather.

Yes colly - it struck me that a gusting crosswind on that stiff climb up from Oxenhope towards the end will be a bit of a pain, but at least we finish with a 7 km descent!

Is it still 9.45 for a 10.00 kick off?
Yes. Usual car park.

##########################################################
I don't know how many roads beyond this immediate area have been affected by the recent heavy rain, but a lot of the lanes I walked down today still have piles of gravel all over the place so - :excl: WATCH OUT ON THE DESCENTS TOMORROW! :excl:
##########################################################

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Ditto for that back road from Ilkley to Otley, it has some quite potholed areas where you have no choice but to move away from the side of the road and on a sunday you can get some right t**ts in cars going far too fast down skinny lanes. Also it is very busy with cyclists on a weekend and they dont all know how to use the road properly.

potsy

Rambler
Bike is dirty, and it's a lot more ragged looking after the incident the other week.
Is it wise to take the clippy guards off for extra weight saving?

I've already put my cafe order in, scrambled egg on toast with 3 cups of tea, cheers Phil :thumbsup:
Oh, and a hen for afters :mrpig:

Hi Colin,

Sorry for the late notice but count me in for tomorrow as a definite.It will be great to ride with you all again as I haven't been able to make a ride since the Fylde century back in April.

I only found out an hour ago that a long standing family commitment for tomorrow has had to be postponed.

I'll be arriving in Hebden Bridge by train which get in at 9.52 am so I should be wheeling up to the meeting spot by 10 am on the dot.

See you all tomorrow.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Ditto for that back road from Ilkley to Otley, it has some quite potholed areas where you have no choice but to move away from the side of the road and on a sunday you can get some right t**ts in cars going far too fast down skinny lanes. Also it is very busy with cyclists on a weekend and they dont all know how to use the road properly.

+1

Watch out between Askwith and the Cockpit tearooms. There's some nasty holes where the road drops down and back up to cross a small bridge.

I intend to do a ride in that area tomorrow. If I'm anywhere near the Cockpit tearooms at 13:00 I'll drop in and see if the Cyclechatters are there. Look out for a rider on a bright yellow fixed-wheel! :hello:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin,

Sorry for the late notice but count me in for tomorrow as a definite.It will be great to ride with you all again as I haven't been able to make a ride since the Fylde century back in April.

I only found out an hour ago that a long standing family commitment for tomorrow has had to be postponed.

I'll be arriving in Hebden Bridge by train which get in at 9.52 am so I should be wheeling up to the meeting spot by 10 am on the dot.

See you all tomorrow.
Super! If you aren't there by 10:00, we'll wait until 10:15 in case the train is late. If you are later than that, check the car park first but if we have set off, we will be riding slowly up the Keighley Road and I'm sure you would be able to catch us. (I don't remember you being as slow as me!)

+1

Watch out between Askwith and the Cockpit tearooms. There's some nasty holes where the road drops down and back up to cross a small bridge.

I intend to do a ride in that area tomorrow. If I'm anywhere near the Cockpit tearooms at 13:00 I'll drop in and see if the Cyclechatters are there. Look out for a rider on a bright yellow fixed-wheel! :hello:
Thanks for the warnings Phil and Tim.

I think we will be arriving at the cafe at more like 13:30-13:45 but it is hard to say how lack of fitness, and the windy conditions will affect us.

Rider list:
  • ColinJ
  • Alun
  • SlowerThanASluggishSloth
  • potsy (Haribo-loaded)
  • sdr gb
  • Littgull
Guest appearances
  • tubbycyclist (Hebden Bridge to ... Steeton maybe?)
  • colly (Denton Road, 13:00 -13:30 ish, then to cafe)
  • phil_hg_uk ( Denton Road, 13:00 -13:30 ish, then to cafe)
  • YellowTim (at cafe, perhaps)

Top Bottom