England : West Yorkshire Forum ride in 2 parts from Hebden Bridge (64 km + 36 km), Sat 22nd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Here's an attempt to be (ever so slightly!) more inclusive!

I have devised a scenic, hilly route centred on Hebden Bridge and covering a metric century i.e. 100 kms or 62 miles. I know that might be too much for some people so I have split the route into 2 loops, the first being 64 kms (40 miles) and the second being 36 kms (22 miles) and taking in Cragg Vale, England's longest continuous climb.

We will have a cafe stop in Hebden Bridge after the first loop. Anybody who does not fancy going on to do the second loop can say goodbye to us after the cafe.

I will be using this ride to get my metric century in for August but I would be ok doing the second loop solo if nobody else wants to do it.

The first loop is quite tough but not a complete killer. If you have been ok doing hilly rides of 40-50 km (25-30+) miles in the past then you should be able to push yourself and complete the first loop.

I estimate that our average speed will be be 13-16 kph (8-10 mph) so the first loop should take 4-5 hours. The second should take about 2.5 hours. If you don't think you could manage that kind of speed over the hills, then I wouldn't recommend this ride. It is a lovely route but not one that you'd want to be struggling on. I wouldn't be able to go too much faster than those speeds so don't worry - that isn't likely to happen! (If everybody else turned out to be quicker than me, then I would ride as fast as I could [maybe averaging, say, 19 kph/12 mph], otherwise I would slow down to the speed of the slowest riders.)

Rough map of loop 1 (riding in anticlockwise direction):
Forum ride 22-08-15 loop1 route.gif

Rough map of loop 2 (ride to top of B6138, then loop round and go back down through Cragg Vale):
Forum ride 22-08-15 loop2 route.gif

Elevation profiles of the 2 loops:
Forum ride 22-08-15 loop elevation profiles.gif

We'll be aiming to set off at 10:00 so let's meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge, at 09:45 on Saturday, 22nd August. (Map showing car parks)

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the pub on your left. Follow the road round past the (boarded up) Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right just beyond the new council buildings.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park by 09:45 because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

The local parking wardens nab people all the time, so pay for a full day in the car park if you are doing both loops - it is a lot cheaper than paying a hefty fine!

If you are interested in joining me on this ride, then pencil the date in your diary and sign up below.

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
Colin

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm interested but we are off work over this time and as yet, family days out etc. haven't been confirmed.

Do you have a route map I can look at and tremble?! ;)

Thanks
Adrian

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I'm interested but we are off work over this time and as yet, family days out etc. haven't been confirmed.

Do you have a route map I can look at and tremble?! ;)

Thanks
Adrian
It would good if you could make it! I've added maps and profiles to the original post.

I had to use a small scale to get the maps to fit on my screen so they are a bit basic but give you an idea of where we would be going.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

In theory, if somebody wanted a shorter and easier ride they could skip the first loop and just do the second loop with us in the afternoon. That would be fine, but we wouldn't be able to set a precise time for when we would be setting off on that. It would be something like 2:30 - 3:00 pm. If anybody wants to do that, we can arrange to meet at the cafe.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Probably a complete waste of effort, but ... BUMP!

I may be able to get a few local friends to come along but apart from @Buck, the CycleChat membership is showing its now customary lack of interest. "Use it, or lose it", folks!

I can get friends to turn out without bothering to plot maps and profiles, and I do not have to waste my time checking CC for responses, cajoling would-be riders and so on.

I am considering switching to a forum-ride-invites-by-request system. You would have to opt in to getting PMs from me about future forum rides. If you didn't opt in, then the first you would know about a ride would be my post-ride report!

Anyway... this ride is a week on Saturday. I will post remaining details soon and that will be my final post in this thread unless someone posts something that needs a reply from me.

Right, I can't sit around all day trying to bully you into doing splendid bike rides with me, I'm outta here!

You're not alone young sir, we have the same apathy in our climbing club. Having talked to many club secs over the years it's a universal constant. I reckon many decide at the last minute after consulting the weather gods, pinecones or seaweed. I've always planned to get out and meet y'all one day but time and circumstance have conspired against me as yet....maybe this time?

Buck

Guru
Colin

Our plans for the weekend haven't been finalised yet although I have made SWMBO aware of my desire to come along for the pain enjoyment!!

I was trying to work out some of the elevations and parts of the route so cobbled together a route in Strava to help me - does it look right to you?
https://www.strava.com/routes/3054690

Cheers
Adrian

doughnut

Veteran
I'd be up for this ride Colin, but I've got to get to the airport very early next morning. After making my wife camp in a muddy field for the last 10 wedding anniversaries while I went sailing, this year is pay back time and we are heading off to the sun. If I do anything to spoil it (including having tired legs and possibly even talking about cycling), then I will be living in the dog house for a long long time. Shame, because I really enjoyed the Settle ride and this looks like a great one as well.
P.S. If you do go for invite only in the future, count me as opted in.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You're not alone young sir, we have the same apathy in our climbing club. Having talked to many club secs over the years it's a universal constant. I reckon many decide at the last minute after consulting the weather gods, pinecones or seaweed. I've always planned to get out and meet y'all one day but time and circumstance have conspired against me as yet....maybe this time?
It would be good if you could make it!

Colin

Our plans for the weekend haven't been finalised yet although I have made SWMBO aware of my desire to come along for the pain enjoyment!!

I was trying to work out some of the elevations and parts of the route so cobbled together a route in Strava to help me - does it look right to you?
https://www.strava.com/routes/3054690

Cheers
Adrian
Maybe I was feeling just a bit ratty earlier! :whistle:

I don't mind 'rain checks' - I have postponed several recent forum rides due to dire forecasts. I also don't mind people saying 'maybe', as Buck has done, subject to family arrangements, recovery from illness etc. but it is disheartening when people do not show even the slightest interest.

I'd be up for this ride Colin, but I've got to get to the airport very early next morning. After making my wife camp in a muddy field for the last 10 wedding anniversaries while I went sailing, this year is pay back time and we are heading off to the sun. If I do anything to spoil it (including having tired legs and possibly even talking about cycling), then I will be living in the dog house for a long long time. Shame, because I really enjoyed the Settle ride and this looks like a great one as well.
P.S. If you do go for invite only in the future, count me as opted in.
You see, that is the kind of thing I like ... I can see why doughnut can't make it this time but just being told that he would like to have come makes a difference.

Doughnut - have a great holiday! :hello:

I sometimes feel like a teenager who has got their 21st birthday party organised but nobody has taken note of the RSVP. The DJ is booked, the room is decorated, the food and booze are laid out, but nobody has come and I am standing on the doorstep, looking up and down the street mumbling "Please, somebody, come to my party"! :laugh:

Adrian - the route you plotted on Strava looks generally right except for a strange-looking detour after Laneshaw Bridge. I'm not sure what that is supposed to be! For some reason Strava says the route is about 5 kms too long. Your extra bit might have added a km or so, but I can't see where the rest came from.

The start and finish will be in Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge. I'll copy and paste my usual stuff into the first post in a minute. That details where the car park is etc.

Last edited:

Buck

Guru
I sometimes feel like a teenager who has got their 21st birthday party organised but nobody has taken note of the RSVP. The DJ is booked, the room is decorated, the food and booze are laid out, but nobody has come and I am standing on the doorstep, looking up and down the street mumbling "Please, somebody, come to my party"! :laugh:

did someone mention booze? :cheers:
Adrian - the route you plotted on Strava looks generally right except for a strange-looking detour after Laneshaw Bridge. I'm not sure what that is supposed to be! For some reason Strava says the route is about 5 kms too long. Your extra bit might have added a km or so, but I can't see where the rest came from.

The start and finish will be in Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge. I'll copy and paste my usual stuff into the first post in a minute. That details where the car park is etc.

thanks - I'll take a look on Strava to see what I've done (first time plotting a route so will be me missing something)

Adamskirover

Über Member
Hi Colin. I've been contamplating joining you on one of your various rides all year, however the distance and difficulty of each successive ride seemed to ramp up about a month ahead of where I felt I was up to fitness wise, and as such I didn't want to commit and then let you down. I was finally feeling like I'd got to a level of fitness that I was happy with when I got taken out on a roundabout by a car 2 weeks ago. This now means that I now no longer have a bike, and am also nursing a broken collarbone plus cracked elbow and ribs.
Unfortunately it will probably mean that I'll now have to look out for your spring rides from Whalley next year (if you continue to organise) and will add my name as a maybe in future so that you aware of the interest.

Buck

Guru
My Strava version now updated - I think a click and drag of the mouse was to blame!

I've also changed the start as above rather than a general stick pin!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My Strava version now updated - I think a click and drag of the mouse was to blame!

I've also changed the start as above rather than a general stick pin!
That looks more like it!

Strava is coming up with some weird gradient data though ... For example, that Keb's Rd segment is way off. The road actually climbs just 27 m from 402 m to 429 m in about 0.5 km & 27m in 500 m = 5.4%. A bit different to 25%!

Top Bottom