England : Lancashire Forum ride/Mini-Northwest passage audax, Rochdale, Sat 20th Feb 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have been discussing the Mini-Northwest Passage audax event with @Littgull. We fancy tackling it as a forum ride. We would sign up as usual and obey all audax requirements for the ride but we would agree in advance to meet up and stick together, rather than just forming casual alliances with other riders out on the road.

The route covers about 120 km and starts/finishes at a pub in SE Rochdale. If the weather is ok on the day, my intention is to cycle the 10 km from Todmorden to Littleborough and meet Littgull there. We would ride another 7.5 km to the start., then do the same in reverse after the audax.

Riders would have the option of starting and finishing with me in Todmorden. The distance covered would then be about 155 km, but that is so close to an imperial century that I would definitely find an extra 5 or 6 km at the finish to get the century in.

If you don't fancy doing that distance, you could start/finish with Littgull in Littleborough and do about 135 km on the day.

If 120 km would be enough for you, then we could arrange to meet you at event HQ.

NB #1 If the weather turned out to be a bit grotty, I might opt to catch the train to and from Rochdale from Todmorden. I would make that call the evening before.

NB #2 If the weather were appalling on the day I would opt not to do the ride, despite having paid my audax entry fee. You would have to make your own decision about your own participation. I would not let a few showers stop me, but blizzards/floods/gale force winds would! :okay: (In that scenario, I would organise an alternative ride the following weekend.)

This is a late winter route so much of it is on A-roads, though the middle section through Waddington is quieter. I devised a scenic alternative from Whalley to Blackburn which cuts out some A-roads and substitutes a climb/descent - we would go that way unless there were a risk of ice.

We only need to average 10 km/hr including any stops at the controls and elsewhere, but that would mean riding back in the dark. We would wait for anybody having problems but I think we will probably average closer to 20 km/hr.

I'm thinking of starting from Todmorden at 07:30, meeting Littgull and any others in Littleborough just before 08:00, and arriving at event HQ by 08:30 which would give us at least 30 minutes to check in and get ready.

It would be advisable to bring lights. You will need them if riding from Todmorden or Littleborough. You shouldn't need them if you start and finish in Rochdale, but we could be held up so bring lights anyway!

Riding from Todmorden (161 km, an imperial century):
  • ColinJ
  • Anybody fancy joining us?
Riding from Littleborough (approx. 135 km):
  • Littlgull
Riding from Rochdale event HQ:

I'll add more details later, but mean time, consider yourselves invited - RSVP below! :okay:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Considering. Do you have a link for the official event?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The West Pennine Road Club event page seems to still be showing last year's event!

I'm not sure if the changes made to the route in Rochdale due to roadworks in 2015 still apply. That will be sorted out before the ride.

As discussed, count me in Colin, subject to the same weather stipulations you have mentioned. Could we make the early morning Littleborough rendezvous spot on the pavement outside the Wheatsheaf pub (which is very wide in that location) - this is directly opposite the village 'square'.

If I'm feeling masochistic on the day I may even follow Colin back to Todmorden and return to Littleborough in order to achieve the century mileage.

Right, must remember to formally pay and enrol on the Mini NWP audax this weekend.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My attempt at being a tit. I succeeded
Probably me having a sense of humour failure ... :whistle:

Anyway, you and Shaun would be welcome to join us!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Thinking about it..... Weather and temperature dependent...
I would have been riding some of those roads today, but the forecast is for bitterly cold winds of 25-45 mph. Forgive the pun - blow that!

@Svendo did the (Mini-?)NWP one time when it was so cold that his drinks bottle froze solid. I have done it in chilly conditions, but not THAT cold! I have also ridden the event in mild, sunny conditions - let's hope for them this year, eh?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
May well be interested. I've signed up for the Radway 150 the following weekend, but wont be able to do that now due to family commitments... this sounds like the perfect replacement.

Saturdays are not ideal for me though, but may be able to wrangle a pass.
I'd be riding from the official start though, dont think the knees fancy any additional miles/hills yet. :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

May well be interested. I've signed up for the Radway 150 the following weekend, but wont be able to do that now due to family commitments... this sounds like the perfect replacement.

Saturdays are not ideal for me though, but may be able to wrangle a pass.
I'd be riding from the official start though, dont think the knees fancy any additional miles/hills yet. :smile:
Excellent, if you can make it!

Regarding the loan of a long stem - I just found one in my spares box so yours will not now be needed, but thanks for the offer anyway. :okay:

Top Bottom