From todays Irish Times ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It is not even in the Top Ten causes of KSIs for cyclists. Not remotely dangerous. Allowed in many places with no problem.

classic33

Leg End Member
It is not even in the Top Ten causes of KSIs for cyclists. Not remotely dangerous. Allowed in many places with no problem.
You'll know the change in the law that came in last year, affecting cyclists only then.
That's what the piece is about.

16% of cyclists jump reds and killed zero last year. 70% of drivers admit often speeding and killed 700. Irritating isnt the same as deadly.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
All the offences that the FPN were issued for are illegal actions and if you get caught you pay the price.

The old chestnut of "you should be catching speeding cars" does not work for me. Fortunately, the public do not dictate which offenders the police must persue. Especially, those members of the public who have just been caught for an offence. It happened to me time and time again. It just makes the guy complaining look like a total prat.

Whether you are on a bike or in a car, if you get caught, just pay up. The police are catching speeding cars, burglars and murderers. They are also catching people on bikes. That is the way the job goes.

jarlrmai

Veteran
All the offences that the FPN were issued for are illegal actions and if you get caught you pay the price.

The old chestnut of "you should be catching speeding cars" does not work for me. Fortunately, the public do not dictate which offenders the police must persue. Especially, those members of the public who have just been caught for an offence. It happened to me time and time again. It just makes the guy complaining look like a total prat.

Not quite true, in some areas community policing has started focussing on issues that people deem important at local meetings, unfortunately the people with time and inclination to visit the meetings and raise a fuss often have some bias or other which means that their perception of issues is not entirely in proportion.

classic33

Leg End Member
16% of cyclists jump reds and killed zero last year. 70% of drivers admit often speeding and killed 700. Irritating isnt the same as deadly.
Ireland or England?

Ajax Bay

Guru
the public do not dictate which offenders the police must persue.
Steve - I agree, but does anyone? How do the police decide then? Are they not trying to take decisions eg on what offenses have a higher precedence in the priority table in the context of public attitude - at least the CC's (ACPO type) perception thereof.

jarlrmai

Veteran
We are often being told (often on this very forum) that the police just don't have the time to investigate our piddly little close overtakes and threatening driving complaints because they are off solving murders like it's Midsomer in every town,

Top Bottom