From todays Irish Times ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The full list of offences covered by the fines from August 1 are:
  1. Cyclist driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration.
  2. No front lamp or rear lamp lit during lighting-up hours on a pedal cycle.
  3. Cyclist proceeding into a pedestrianised street or area.
  4. Cyclist proceeding past traffic lights when the red lamp is illuminated.
  5. Cyclist proceeding past cycle traffic lights when red lamp is lit.
  6. Cyclist failing to stop for a School Warden sign.
  7. Cyclist proceeding beyond a stop line, barrier or half barrier at a railway level crossing, swing bridge or lifting bridge, when the red lamps are flashing

“Driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration”
In Galway in 2008 another man was convicted under this offence for cycling the wrong way off the roundabout and hitting a taxi.

snorri

Legendary Member
Well not when I was working they didnt.
Possibly, but it has been that way for as long as I can remember in my locality.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
If the same laws were inforced here id say youd possibly get 600 nicked every week in London alone ! Red light being top of the list , no lights , ive noticed around here people are didplaying red and white lights on their handlebars ? , pavement riding is a big one , lack of signalling ,loads of things , I read on a post on these forums that a Judge made the statement that roads are for multiple users , no prefferences , so if motor vehicle drivers are expected to tow the line or pay the price , so should cyclists , ive seen to many pedestrians get clobbered due to bad riding ,

if motor vehicle drivers are expected to tow the line or pay the price , so should cyclists

Toe. And there are more uninsured cars on the road than regular cyclist commuters, so drivers break the law more than people on bikes before you even start counting drugged/drunk driving, using a mobile, speeding, etc etc etc.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Toe. And there are more uninsured cars on the road than regular cyclist commuters, so drivers break the law more than people on bikes before you even start counting drugged/drunk driving, using a mobile, speeding, etc etc etc.
And if they're caught they get nicked. Only a small percentage are, but then only a small percentage of cyclists who infringe are too.

We take a chance when we want, but we have no reason to complain when we're rumbled.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
Tic Tac ....
There are bound to be more motor vehicle drivers breaking the law , there are more of them , if cyclists expect to treated as equal on the open road and expect motor vehicle drivers to observe and follow the laws governing the use of the road for their safety, then as road users cyclists should conform to the laws also , The Irish Gov'nt has taken the initiative to enforce this , as a motor vehicle driver, ( licenced to drive upto articulated vehicles )and as a regular cyclist I would welcome similar laws here in the UK ,

When did I complain? I've addressed two points, that cyclists jumping reds are dangerous. They are not. And drivers obey the law and cyclists don't. Also untrue. No complaints here,.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Tic Tac ....
There are bound to be more motor vehicle drivers breaking the law , there are more of them , if cyclists expect to treated as equal on the open road and expect motor vehicle drivers to observe and follow the laws governing the use of the road for their safety, then as road users cyclists should conform to the laws also , The Irish Gov'nt has taken the initiative to enforce this , as a motor vehicle driver, ( licenced to drive upto articulated vehicles )and as a regular cyclist I would welcome similar laws here in the UK ,

That's exactly why I broke it down to percentages.

Sixteen per cent of cyclists jump reds and killed zero last year.

Seventy per cent of drivers admit regularly speeding and killed seven hundred.

So drivers break the law more even after allowing for the ratio.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
When did I complain? I've addressed two points, that cyclists jumping reds are dangerous. They are not. And drivers obey the law and cyclists don't. Also untrue. No complaints here, so don't you dare lie about what I've said.

So you are saying that Red light Jumpers are not dangerous ?

Ajax Bay

Guru
cyclists jumping reds are dangerous. They are not
But they are Glenn, because they might be a danger to pedestrians who might very reasonably assume that the lights are red so vehicles (including bikes) are not going to come at them from that direction, and RLJ may also force motorists proceeding as allowed by the lights their way (ie green) to take avoiding action, thus a greater danger to others.

Mod Edited - refers to Deleted part of post

Paris changed over 500 junctions to allow cyclists to jump the red with zero increase in collisions. They trailed it and it works, as it does in Strasbourg, Lille, Lyon, Berlin etc. It is not dangerous. Even in London it is not dangerous. Cyclists cause less tha. One per cent of ped injuries, cycling is not dangerous to peds and red light jumping is not dangerous to peds, that's the facts.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When did I complain? I've addressed two points, that cyclists jumping reds are dangerous. They are not. And drivers obey the law and cyclists don't. Also untrue. No complaints here, .....

Of course they are dangerous. Most are uninsured and even the simplest collision can mean someone having to shell out a grand or two for repairs to a vehicle and who's to say it won't be a motorcyclist coming the other way? Just because you don't kill someone doesn't make what you do ok.

You are confusing insurance with liability. If a cyclist causes damage you claim off the cyclist, to show how hysterical you are about the subject you can't even find a single example of a cyclist causing an unrecoverable loss. Big problem, you reckon. Yet you can't find a single verifiable example of it ever happening..

Top Bottom